Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 445 votes, 4.93 average. Display Modes
Old 07-27-2012, 05:59 AM   #26296
MillCreek
ADV Risk Manager

Oddometer: 1,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGo Gadget View Post
Why? Being cross eye dominant and shooting a pistol will not have any effect on the shooter or the target. Or at least less effect than shooting with your weak hand.
I was born with bilateral strabismus (crossed eyes) and ended up with amblyopia (loss of vision in one eye). I am right handed but my left eye is my good one. Not much of a problem shooting handguns, but I have to shoot long guns left handed. I hate it when the brass bounces off my forehead!
2012 Suzuki DL650A as the current bike
Whole bunch of bikes in the past
MillCreek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:38 AM   #26297
cms81586
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Since she's right handed but left eye dominant she shoots handguns right handed but rifles like a lefty. She can shoot lefty with a handgun as well but does not have as much control. I let her find her comfort zone and she shoots quite well. Better than most guys do...and she handles a .45 quite well. She's tried to steal my HK45C more than once for her own.
cms81586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:12 AM   #26298
AerialCameras
Gyrating Peacefully

Oddometer: 1,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe Man View Post
That's what I needed to hear!
I've been happy for a few years with Don Hume leather. A regular vendor at our Orlando shows has loads of inventory. They do take a bit to break in, and they aren't the thickest of leather, but good retention and great value. I have some old Fobus stuff laying around, but like its been said, a bit thick for warm weather concealment. However I'm not really up to speed on what Fobus currently offers.
AerialCameras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:28 AM   #26299
Fe Man
I am Iron Moran!

Oddometer: 7,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by AerialFilm1 View Post
I've been happy for a few years with Don Hume leather. A regular vendor at our Orlando shows has loads of inventory. They do take a bit to break in, and they aren't the thickest of leather, but good retention and great value. I have some old Fobus stuff laying around, but like its been said, a bit thick for warm weather concealment. However I'm not really up to speed on what Fobus currently offers.
I'm looking to hide a small .38 revolver under a golf shirt or t-shirts,worn out, in the waistband of my shorts.

Fe Man screwed with this post 07-27-2012 at 07:38 AM
Fe Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:32 AM   #26300
ouray rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Ruff out

Use a rough out inside the pant (pocket) holster. Best cocealment and it won't print.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:10 AM   #26301
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,283
Quote:
I'm looking to hide a small .38 revolver under a golf shirt or t-shirts,worn out, in the waistband of my shorts.
Any IWB holster will work for that if it isn't thick leather and molded to the gun.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:19 AM   #26302
Motor31
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,938
Quote:
Another option is the clip grip. It has a small section of the grip that is designed to fit over the waistband / belt.

Here is an example of one.

DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:35 AM   #26303
GoGo Gadget
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinhilo View Post
Yeah, but if you train with the "weak" hand, it won't make much or any difference. That can also be a big bonus if you need to shoot with an injured hand.
There are plenty of reasons to train support hand shooting, cross eye dominance is just not one of them IMO. I am sure you can train enough to make your support hand good, but I don't think you will make it as good as your strong hand. So to shoot weak hand only just because of cross eye dominance seems illogical. Any gains in the eyes are more than lost in the hand.

I have been told I have the body of a God. What does this Buddha guy look like?
GoGo Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:52 AM   #26304
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,298
Quote:
There are plenty of reasons to train support hand shooting, cross eye dominance is just not one of them IMO. I am sure you can train enough to make your support hand good, but I don't think you will make it as good as your strong hand. So to shoot weak hand only just because of cross eye dominance seems illogical. Any gains in the eyes are more than lost in the hand.
I concur. Learning to shoot well with weak hand is understandabke.

However I really don't see how using the same hand as dominant eye would matter.

It's like the photographers that would tell me that I have to shoot with with my dominant eye looking through the camera.

Using which ever eye was comfortable never kept me from winning awards.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:55 AM   #26305
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
I concur. Learning to shoot well with weak hand is understandabke.

However I really don't see how using the same hand as dominant eye would matter.

It's like the photographers that would tell me that I have to shoot with with my dominant eye looking through the camera.

Using which ever eye was comfortable never kept me from winning awards.
That is different because in shooting guns, the least you cock your head to shoot a handgun or rifle the better. And you never hold a camera at arms length to shoot with it.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:03 AM   #26306
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
That is different because in shooting guns, the least you cock your head to shoot a handgun or rifle the better. And you never hold a camera at arms length to shoot with it.
True.

Maybe the point isn't so much which eye your using but the head tilting?

I think most people tilt their heads too much regardless which eye/hand their using.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:36 PM   #26307
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,657
Quote:
I beg to differ. I'm left handed and right eye dominant. For years I've shot with my left hand and only occasionally shooting with my right. Someone mentioned to me that I should shoot with my right hand more for self defense situations where possibly my left arm is disabled or can't be used for some reason. So, I started shooting with both hands an equal amount. Guess what, I'm more accurate with my right hand than with my left. Surprised the crap out of me.

Maybe I'm just an oddball and it doesn't matter for most shooters.

I'm not completely ambidextrous, but I do have some coordination in my right hand. Maybe this has allowed me to easily overcome that weakness and allow my right eye/right hand to work in better coordination. That then begs the question for someone who's left eye/right hand might have a coordination problem that masks the benefit of shooting left handed. Make sense.

One last point. The difference in accuracy between my left hand and right would not likely make any difference in a self defense situation. Bullseye competition would be another story.
McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:42 PM   #26308
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
True.

Maybe the point isn't so much which eye your using but the head tilting?

I think most people tilt their heads too much regardless which eye/hand their using.
They do and when I train that out of them they are better more comfortable shooters because of it.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:45 PM   #26309
Iwantabikesobad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,037
savage 42 Anyone try one??

22 over 410.
09 KTM Adv. The Orange ones are faster!
Iwantabikesobad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:26 AM   #26310
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 13,904