User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 868 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 08-21-2012, 11:11 AM   #26461
Padriug
Cat Herder

Oddometer: 349
Any recommendations on a .22LR conversion kit for a Bushmaster OCR AR-15? Thanks.
Padriug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:04 PM   #26462
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padriug View Post
Any recommendations on a .22LR conversion kit for a Bushmaster OCR AR-15? Thanks.
I'd check out the CMMG kit if you're looking for a drop-in and not a dedicated upper.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:29 PM   #26463
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 10,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
I'd check out the CMMG kit if you're looking for a drop-in and not a dedicated upper.
I agree. But a dedicated upper is a better way to go. The barrel of a 223 is oversized for .22 rimfire, and has the wrong twist, hence accuracy from a drop-in is typically pretty poor.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:50 PM   #26464
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
I agree. But a dedicated upper is a better way to go. The barrel of a 223 is oversized for .22 rimfire, and has the wrong twist, hence accuracy from a drop-in is typically pretty poor.
True, and a dedicated .22 AR is even better since they are so cheap and better than swapping out an upper.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:42 PM   #26465
Tmaximusv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueClimber View Post
1100 is what the EPA requires Heat Guns to be below when working on Lead Based Paint....
Don't bet on it limiting the lead. I heat stripped an old garage, outdoors and still got quite a load of lead. Fair bit of chelation later and my brain returned from walkabout.
Tmaximusv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:09 PM   #26466
gofast1320
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 694
Trouble sighting in

You might like the idea of being able to see the sights but the distance from the centerline of the bore of the rifle and the line of sight through the scope bring about some complications. PLUS it looks like you are using a full size scope that is manufactured to be used at 100yds or greater bringing up the term parallax. If you try to sight in a .22 with a full size big bore scope not adjusted to be parallax free at 50yds you can shoot 5 shots into one hole move your face just a bit and repeat and you may still shoot into a ragged hole but it will be in a different place due to parallax. If you do not have a rock hard position to start with you will shoot to different spots with each shot. Bottom line, get a .22 scope parallax adjusted to 50yds, have your scope adjusted to be parallax free at 50 yds and whatever you do lose the see through mounts and mount the scope so it presents a clear picture every time you shoulder the gun. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanjo_NY View Post
to my brother's recommendation put an scope in my .22.
What a nightmare sighting it using the CCI CB's.. those bullets are nice a quiet to shot in the backyard, but no consistent at all.. anyhow, since I'm going to be using this 22 in the backyard the use of any other bullet is pretty much out of the question.
After setting the scope with the CCI CB's I shot few LR regular bullets and at 100fts the aim is 4 inches higher than the CB's.
Anyway, it was a fun afternoon.. ;)

gofast1320 screwed with this post 08-21-2012 at 07:10 PM Reason: spelling error
gofast1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:29 PM   #26467
tkitna
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,972
Here's the gun my wife and I bought a couple weeks ago. I said mine was a CZ 75B in my last post, but its really the CZ 75 SP-01 (I dont know the difference so dont ask). The wife has the Sig Sauer P238.

The CZ

The Sig

A few targets from about 25 yards away. As you can see, I cant shoot worth a damn, but it was fun.

Looking to buy a .22 revolver for the lady (she wants one) and a 1911 .45 for myself next. I'm reading and watching the .45 thread here.

2008 DL650
2013 Goldwing

tkitna screwed with this post 08-21-2012 at 11:18 PM
tkitna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:13 PM   #26468
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,163
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
True, and a dedicated .22 AR is even better since they are so cheap and better than swapping out an upper.
Yeah, the 22LR wants a 1:16, IIRC. BUT if you're just wanting to be able to train on one system, a drop-in is hard to beat. If you're just plinking then getting a dedicated upper would be better as a drop-in will only give you accuracy out to 25-50ft at best.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:26 PM   #26469
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,170
Okay, it's time for the spaghetti western meets attack of the killer tomatoes meets my blood lust for shooting soda bottles! What fun is just shooting pop bottles with out turning them into a zombi apocalypse? I think I'm ready for the big screen! Try to remember it's supposed to be really bad acting to meet my "B" movie rating, thankfully I am an over achiever in this area. ENJOY
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)

buildit screwed with this post 08-21-2012 at 11:32 PM
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:58 AM   #26470
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkitna View Post
Here's the gun my wife and I bought a couple weeks ago. I said mine was a CZ 75B in my last post, but its really the CZ 75 SP-01 (I dont know the difference so dont ask). The wife has the Sig Sauer P238.

The CZ

The Sig

A few targets from about 25 yards away. As you can see, I cant shoot worth a damn, but it was fun.

Looking to buy a .22 revolver for the lady (she wants one) and a 1911 .45 for myself next. I'm reading and watching the .45 thread here.
Aww man! I want an SP-01 so bad!

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:59 AM   #26471
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
Yeah, the 22LR wants a 1:16, IIRC. BUT if you're just wanting to be able to train on one system, a drop-in is hard to beat. If you're just plinking then getting a dedicated upper would be better as a drop-in will only give you accuracy out to 25-50ft at best.
My Spikes kit and Black Dog mags work great. Not MOA, but I'm on the paper @ 25yds or so. Great for silhouettes and run/gun.

Personaly, i get really bored on the static range
Old 08-22-2012, 09:52 AM   #26472
HardCase
winter is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
That's certainly the case. I bought one of the first S&W 15-22s when those came out and enjoy it. My girlfriend and her kids love shooting it. Yeah, I know, she should be wearing eye protection. I try but am not always successful.

That said, I am afraid I think of the 15-22 as more or less a toy. It is so light (I think around 4#) that it does not have a lot of the 'feel' of the real deal. About a decade ago I was interested in getting into NRA High Power shooting, got a match grade AR 15 and wanted a dedicated upper for it to practice with .22 rimfire. I ended up getting one and it truly matches the correct feel, but it has been a PITA to get it to function as well as I would like, even though it is superbly accurate. I never did get into High Power, no club near here was doing it (although at that time there was talk....it just never transpired), but still have the gun and use it a fair bit.

Hard cases make bad law.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:59 AM   #26473
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Her stance is driving me bonkers!

Old 08-22-2012, 10:05 AM   #26474
HardCase
winter is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
Her stance is driving me bonkers!

How so? It's actually not a bad offhand stance for that sort of a gun. But it definitely isn't a combat or 3-gun stance, much more of a bullseye target one. Take a look at some High Power shooters doing offhand stages and see what I mean.

Hard cases make bad law.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:22 AM   #26475
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:

How so? It's actually not a bad offhand stance for that sort of a gun. But it definitely isn't a combat or 3-gun stance, much more of a bullseye target one. Take a look at some High Power shooters doing offhand stages and see what I mean.
The length and position of the stock makes me crazy.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: