Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 658 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 08-24-2012, 04:36 PM   #26521
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Your comment addressed my question. I was about to ask if it was DAO, because I know that the LCR in .38 is DAO. I agree with you about being able to pull the hammer back and plink.

I'm hoping that RUGER will make the LCP in .22.
I bought one of the Ruger SP101s in .22 about a year ago. Nice gun and it does have the SA option, but it weighs a lot more than the LCR and is bigger/bulkier too, with the 4" barrel and adjustable sights. I think that the LCR would be very sweet with decent sights and a SA capability. I'd buy one in a heartbeat if those features were part of the package.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:50 AM   #26522
BigIron
Tenured Prof - Leghump U.

Oddometer: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithinSC View Post
Had my hands on one a couple hours ago. Didn't shoot it, but was encouraged to buy it by the shop owner
SUPER light. Stainless cylinder w/ lots of sculpting to remove weight. Besides the cylinder, no exposed metal, all was plastic. Metal barrel insert. The plastic was decent, had a little molding flash. I didn't dry fire it, so i can't speak about the trigger. But the cylinder release was very smooth and the lockup solid.
I wasn't in the market for a revolver, I also thought it was overpriced, $429. Did bring home a SR22 though Report on that this weekend maybe.
I went the other way. I went for an SR22 and came home with the LCR. I'd agree that it seems overpriced, at least until you compare it to a Smith. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate Smith revolvers as much as the next guy, but I just wanted something to work on my DA trigger pull.

Haven't shot it yet, but I'm hoping that happens this week. I'll post a report if anybody is interested.
BigIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:39 AM   #26523
rollinrob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,484
Got some new shoes for the Model 66-2, just a bit smaller than the factory target grips

rollinrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:07 AM   #26524
David Shapiro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
Now that I have my hk tactical working properly, I've got a hankering for a SASS, since there is a nice outdoor range that a friend of mine who is a member invited me to check out. I've read all the web reviews, but does anybody have firsthand experience either with a LaRue OBR, a KAC SR25 EMR or a LWRC REPR. If you don't understand the initials, don't bother to reply :) .

Thanks
David
David Shapiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:22 PM   #26525
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIron View Post
I went the other way. I went for an SR22 and came home with the LCR. I'd agree that it seems overpriced, at least until you compare it to a Smith. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate Smith revolvers as much as the next guy, but I just wanted something to work on my DA trigger pull.

Haven't shot it yet, but I'm hoping that happens this week. I'll post a report if anybody is interested.
Now that makes some good sense, getting an LCR in .22 to work on DA skills. It would be a great companion gun for an LCR in 38/357.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:29 PM   #26526
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
Now that makes some good sense, getting an LCR in .22 to work on DA skills. It would be a great companion gun for an LCR in 38/357.
That's why I would like to see an LCP-22
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 02:00 PM   #26527
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Shapiro View Post
Now that I have my hk tactical working properly, I've got a hankering for a SASS, since there is a nice outdoor range that a friend of mine who is a member invited me to check out. I've read all the web reviews, but does anybody have firsthand experience either with a LaRue OBR, a KAC SR25 EMR or a LWRC REPR. If you don't understand the initials, don't bother to reply :) .

Thanks
David
I sabe.

The only thing i ever hear bad about LaRue is the price. Saving my pennies for a PredatOBR
Old 08-25-2012, 07:11 PM   #26528
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,345
Bought a Savage .17 HMR with the accutrigger today (cabelas, $190 OTD )- thinking short range varment up to coyote...

The stock is cheap but sturdy enough I think- needs paint, I'm thinking tan. Any specific opinions as to teh type/brand of said color application?

Also posted in the rimfire thread, sorry for being redundant, again.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:13 PM   #26529
GoGo Gadget
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
Quote:

Thanks
David

I went LMT MWS but have not had time to wring it out. Looks cool sitting in the safe though.

I have been told I have the body of a God. What does this Buddha guy look like?
GoGo Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:56 PM   #26530
David Shapiro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGo Gadget View Post
I went LMT MWS but have not had time to wring it out. Looks cool sitting in the safe though.
Love to hear a range report, when you break it out. It also happens to be on my list. What scope do you use?

David
David Shapiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:33 AM   #26531
GoGo Gadget
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
Quote:
Love to hear a range report, when you break it out. It also happens to be on my list. What scope do you use?

David

I have not decided what to put on it yet. I might just throw my Leupold Mark AR on there for now.

I have been told I have the body of a God. What does this Buddha guy look like?
GoGo Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:35 AM   #26532
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,652
Quote:

Thanks
David

The LaRue's are nice, but pricey. The reality is that no matter how good you think you are, the rifle is probably better than you. Thankfully I was reminded of this just before I was about to shell out $3k on a SASS. That being said, I'm not a sniper by trade, but I work with a few. On a range trip last year, DPMS had two of their SASS systems out, one in 5.56, and another in 7.62. The shooters were able to make them perform just as well as their personal rigs.

So I went with the DPMS LRT-SAS in 7.62. It is a lot of fun and I love it. However, with the cost of ammo these days, I wish I had gone with their Mini SASS in 5.56. The 5.56 is much cheaper to shoot, and I rarely shoot more than 600m myself, so the 5.56 would have been the more prudent choice.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:56 PM   #26533
KeithinSC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,202
Shot the Ruger SR22 this weekend. Nice gun. Teaching a rookie how to shoot. This is an ideal gun for that, and will hold up well as they progress. 3 of us put about 300 rds thru it, brand new out of the box. Zero issues. None. Nada.

I was impressed.

20 yards, sites were right on and easy for the rookie. I thought the trigger was ok, kinda heavy. But I had been shooting my worked MKII, so not really fair to compare. Double action was loooong and steady. Single action had a long lead, then a sharp break. Not bad.

Very easy to field strip and clean. Not like my $#^&@ MKII

Only minor grip I can muster is the magazine. Just a hair wider than a single stack, so you end up staggering the rims of the shells as they drop in. If you pull the follower to far down while loading, the shells get stacked up funny. Trick is to pull it down just enough to get the next shell in, no problems once I figured that out.

Too bad I had to give it back! Rookie claimed it and promised to let me 'borrow' it when I visit!
KeithinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:58 AM   #26534
Ninjak
Sasquatch

Oddometer: 2,783
For years I've thought I'd like to have a gun, but always found better things to spend my money on. Then, my daughter started to show an interest in learning to shoot, so I started looking.

Bought her a Savage mkII .22 LR. And a friend of mine who is a cop found a nice deal for me on a lightly used FNP-40.

It's fun to shoot and fits my hand nicely. Super easy to tear down and clean. More aggressive recoil than I expected, but it's controllable.

The Savage is inexpensive and simple to use.She loves her little rifle, even though she still needs to grow into it a bit. The bipod does the trick.

Religion outa be like sex, legal as long as no money changes hands. - swjohnsey
Ninjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:03 PM   #26535
BMW Kurt
Taker of Pictures

Oddometer: 10,136
Is is just me or are Walther PPK and PPK/s getting hard to find these days. Almost no one I talk to has one in stock.
BMW Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: