ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 658 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 11:10 AM   #26776
Fe Man
I am Iron Moran!
 
Fe Man's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Moran Nation, N. Atlanta Outpost
Oddometer: 7,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
Sweet, that's a really beautiful gun. I love the 375H&H caliber, think it's just an outstanding round and would be excellent for Alaska. And even though it kicks a bit, I don't find it as obnoxious in that respect as I have the several 338s I've fired over the years. Does anyone here remember the 8mm Remington Magnum that came out a number of years back? I think it was in the '80s although am not positive on that, but I shot one of those.....just once. Holy shit. Nasty.

My Mannlicher is a Ruger Hawkeye, in 30-06, my primary hunting rifle for the past few years. This year I'll probably carry the Guide Gun just to change things up. I love the looks of a Mannlicher.

You are spot on about the 375 H&H versus the 338 Win Mag!

I had the 375 in a Ruger #1 and the 338 Win Mag in a Winchester Model 70 while living in Alaska and would much rather shoot the 375; the .338 was punishing. I had rather shoot my .338 Lapua over the Win Mag, though not really a fair comparison as the Lapua was a much heavier gun.
__________________
2006 Tiger
2008 KLR (hers)
Fe Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:29 PM   #26777
HardCase
winter is coming
 
HardCase's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: chambers on the Third
Oddometer: 9,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker View Post
You know, every time you post that pic I kick myself in the ass for getting rid of my 308 like that. Please stop, I'm old and can't take much more self abuse.
Yeah, sorry, I know I've posted that pic several times......in this thread!

When I bought that gun about 4 years ago I really wanted it in 308. I love the 308 round and have several guns in that caliber. But the shop only had the '06, and I'd never had one so decided good enough and bought it. I'm actually glad they didn't heve the 308 in retrospect, although that would be great too, but it's been fun playing with this one. I think Ruger has discontinued its Mannlicher bolt-actions.....although they still make the "International" version of the No. 1.
__________________
Μολών λαβέ

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:37 PM   #26778
HardCase
winter is coming
 
HardCase's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: chambers on the Third
Oddometer: 9,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe Man View Post
You are spot on about the 375 H&H versus the 338 Win Mag!

I had the 375 in a Ruger #1 and the 338 Win Mag in a Winchester Model 70 while living in Alaska and would much rather shoot the 375; the .338 was punishing. I had rather shoot my .338 Lapua over the Win Mag, though not really a fair comparison as the Lapua was a much heavier gun.
Yup. 338 Win Mag kicks like hell in standard-weight rifles. Of course, in a similar gun the Lapua would be uber-nasty; most guns in that caliber are not only hefty, but have a big honkin' muzzle-brake on 'em.

One issue I did have with the 375H&H, now that I think of it, was case-stretch and some case-head separations. I handloaded and, because of the cost of the cases and the amount I was shooting it, was probably guilty of using my brass one or two handloadings too many. The case would split just ahead of the belt. When I'd open the bolt the head would come off leaving the forward portion of the case hopelessly stuck in the chamber. I bought a special case remover and had that happen several times over the years I owned the gun. I also had to trim the cases fairly often, so I am thinking that because of the long sloping shape of the brass, it flowed under pressure, thinning at the head and lengthening or thickening where you didn't want that.
__________________
Μολών λαβέ

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:58 PM   #26779
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Dearborn, MI
Oddometer: 5,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
Yup. 338 Win Mag kicks like hell in standard-weight rifles. Of course, in a similar gun the Lapua would be uber-nasty; most guns in that caliber are not only hefty, but have a big honkin' muzzle-brake on 'em.

One issue I did have with the 375H&H, now that I think of it, was case-stretch and some case-head separations. I handloaded and, because of the cost of the cases and the amount I was shooting it, was probably guilty of using my brass one or two handloadings too many. The case would split just ahead of the belt. When I'd open the bolt the head would come off leaving the forward portion of the case hopelessly stuck in the chamber. I bought a special case remover and had that happen several times over the years I owned the gun. I also had to trim the cases fairly often, so I am thinking that because of the long sloping shape of the brass, it flowed under pressure, thinning at the head and lengthening or thickening where you didn't want that.
How did you have the sizing die set up? If you set the shoulder back each time, eventually you'll get a separation. The belt holds the base stationary and the rest flows forward to fill the chamber each time it's fired. If you take a fired case and smoke the neck, then adjust the die down gradually until the neck is completely sized without contacting the shoulder, you'll be headspacing against the shoulder instead of the belt, and the brass won't be worked and hardened as much, making the case last longer. This only applies to rimmed and belted bottleneck cases.

Always headspace against the shoulder, not the rim or belt.
__________________
10 Ducati 1098 Streetfighter S - "Sleipnir"
09 Kaw Versys
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
"The problem with Socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money" _____ Margaret Thatcher
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:40 PM   #26780
RedRocker
Native Texican
 
RedRocker's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: N.Texas
Oddometer: 5,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
Yeah, sorry, I know I've posted that pic several times......in this thread!

When I bought that gun about 4 years ago I really wanted it in 308. I love the 308 round and have several guns in that caliber. But the shop only had the '06, and I'd never had one so decided good enough and bought it. I'm actually glad they didn't heve the 308 in retrospect, although that would be great too, but it's been fun playing with this one. I think Ruger has discontinued its Mannlicher bolt-actions.....although they still make the "International" version of the No. 1.
I'd go for an 06 myself if I had the chance.
__________________
N. Texas
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:16 PM   #26781
CurtOKC
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Oklahoma City,Oklahoma
Oddometer: 187
Cool2 375 h&h

Many years ago I built a 375 H&H on a 1917 Enfield action. It was a great and accurate rifle that I greatly enjoyed. Due to spinal injuries I could no longer handle shooting it and have passed it onto my eldest son. He now enjoys taking it out to the desert and shooting it. I want to mention an idea that I ran accross many years ago. The standing bench rest. It was being used by some english gents sighting in some heavy caliber rifles.Basically a bench rest built at sternum height. It allows you to shoot with the same accuracy of bench rest but it allows more of your body to be involved in absorbing the recoil. I have seen some people do the same things over the hood of their pick-up trucks or roof of their cars. Just make sure that you put something down to protect the paint job.
CurtOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:20 PM   #26782
HardCase
winter is coming
 
HardCase's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: chambers on the Third
Oddometer: 9,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
How did you have the sizing die set up? If you set the shoulder back each time, eventually you'll get a separation. The belt holds the base stationary and the rest flows forward to fill the chamber each time it's fired. If you take a fired case and smoke the neck, then adjust the die down gradually until the neck is completely sized without contacting the shoulder, you'll be headspacing against the shoulder instead of the belt, and the brass won't be worked and hardened as much, making the case last longer. This only applies to rimmed and belted bottleneck cases.

Always headspace against the shoulder, not the rim or belt.
Yeah, I knew that so I bought a special neck-size only die and would use that for two or three reloadings until a tight fit would mandate FL sizing. I'm sure I wasn't doing it perfectly. The 375H&H doesn't have much of a shoulder, but probably enough to headspace up to a point.

I'm now handloading for 9.3x74R which is a very long tapered round, lots longer and more tapered than the 375. I have both a FL and a neck die for that and we'll see how it goes. I may find I have to FL size more often as the gun is a No. 1 single-shot, so doesn't have the camming power of a bolt.
__________________
Μολών λαβέ

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:34 PM   #26783
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Dearborn, MI
Oddometer: 5,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
Yeah, I knew that so I bought a special neck-size only die and would use that for two or three reloadings until a tight fit would mandate FL sizing. I'm sure I wasn't doing it perfectly. The 375H&H doesn't have much of a shoulder, but probably enough to headspace up to a point.

I'm now handloading for 9.3x74R which is a very long tapered round, lots longer and more tapered than the 375. I have both a FL and a neck die for that and we'll see how it goes. I may find I have to FL size more often as the gun is a No. 1 single-shot, so doesn't have the camming power of a bolt.
There IS a rimmed version, the .375 H&H Flanged. It was for doubles and single shots.

I have a .375 built on a really nice Brno Mauser action that was originally used on one of the Persian contract rifles. These were made with a polished blued receiver and polished unblued bolt and operating parts. It has a model 70 style side swing safety and the front sling swivel on a barrel band. The builder had some nice cherry wood blanks that had been in the loft for 30 years, and he used one to make the stock. Barrel is a Douglas XX. Scope is a 1X4 Leupold zoom.
__________________
10 Ducati 1098 Streetfighter S - "Sleipnir"
09 Kaw Versys
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
"The problem with Socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money" _____ Margaret Thatcher
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:13 PM   #26784
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer
 
tslewisz's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Bloomington, IL
Oddometer: 2,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrymartin View Post
This one always went bang

I hate those damned squared off trigger guards.
tslewisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:44 PM   #26785
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount
 
EvilGenius's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: DFW, Texas
Oddometer: 20,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by tslewisz View Post
I hate those damned squared off trigger guards.

+1

The one on the new Czs everyone seems to like drives me bonkers.

__________________
"Try turning that burn into torque. Then we're getting somewhere. Riding the potato to work seems quite impractical." - anotherguy

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:25 PM   #26786
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey
 
doc_ricketts's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: FlaWaCo?
Oddometer: 4,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
Yeah, sorry, I know I've posted that pic several times......in this thread!

When I bought that gun about 4 years ago I really wanted it in 308. I love the 308 round and have several guns in that caliber. But the shop only had the '06, and I'd never had one so decided good enough and bought it. I'm actually glad they didn't heve the 308 in retrospect, although that would be great too, but it's been fun playing with this one. I think Ruger has discontinued its Mannlicher bolt-actions.....although they still make the "International" version of the No. 1.
Never saw a Ruger Mannlicher, but that Sako that we used in Alaska was so smooth and carried so well that I would probably buy one if I saw it. And your right, 375 H&H is not really that bad. Kicks hard, but smooth and slow, even from that short Sako barrel. It is the sharpness of report and impulse kick of the really long, sharp shouldered mags.
__________________
"Get yourself to the hills and be uplifted, assuming you got some good knobbies"
doc_ricketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:45 PM   #26787
gatling
Beastly Adventurer
 
gatling's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Oddometer: 2,190
I've been a fan of the .375 H&H for a long time. This is my "go to" rifle...it's a Remington 700 I bought in Texas in the late 1970s...



Last year I bought a Ruger M-77 in 375 H&H that was still new in the box...haven't fired this one yet...I sure like the wood.



And I take delivery tomorrow on a Ruger No. 1 in .375 Ruger. That one has even nicer wood than the two above, but I don't have any photos of it yet. The .375 Ruger is an interesting round, with velocities at or above the .375 H&H and case dimensions that allow chambering it in standard length actions (not that this feature makes any difference in a Ruger No. 1). I'm curious to see how it shoots and how it recoils.

Someone above posted about case shoulder making a difference in recoil. I'd never heard of that; I always thought recoil was strictly a function of muzzle velocity, bullet weight, rifle weight, and stock design. You know, F = ma.

My 375 Model 700 has a hefty kick to it; substantially more than a .30 06, but still manageable. It is not a gun you can shoot from the bench all day long. That said, the .375's recoil is way below a .458 Win Mag or a .45-70 loaded to max velocity in a Ruger No. 1. I love shooting the .375 H&H, but if I'm going to be burning up a lot of ammo, the .308 and the .30 06 are two of my favorites. Been doing a lot with the .223 lately, too (I kind of fell in love with my Circassian Mini 14). The Mini is not all that accurate, but every once in a while it kind of settles in and lets me connect with metal gongers at 275 yards on a regular basis.

__________________
www.CSCMotorcycles.com
'06 KLR 650 (Red...the fast one...)
'10 California Scooter (my Baja Blaster!)

gatling screwed with this post 09-14-2012 at 08:57 PM
gatling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:51 PM   #26788
acesandeights
Asperger
 
acesandeights's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: So. Oregon
Oddometer: 3,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
One of my best friends, a guy in his late 50s, hadn't hunted since he was a young man and decided to take it up a couple of years back. He wanted to go after deer so asked if he could borrow a rifle, didn't own one, so I loaned him one of my 308s. He got a deer and was happy with the rifle/caliber combo, but the next season he decided to buy his own gun. He ended up with a 300 Remington Ultra Mag! Good gawd that thing is obnoxious. Noisy, kicks like hell, I named it the Thermonuclear, or just the Thermo for short. He shot a deer with it last season and it practically dissintegrated the forward quarters of the animal. The meat, even in the hindquarters, was blood-shot. I wasn't present when he took the shot, was about 300 yards away, but even from that distance my ears were ringing and when I arrived on the scene-of-the-crime, which is pretty much what it was, there were bits of hide and blood and bone all over the place.

So, on my recommendation, last spring he purchased a nice Marlin 1895 in 45/70. I told him that I think he'll be happier with it for the close-range deer hunting that we do around this area, plus it's enough gun for anything bigger and meaner that he might encounter.
For a minute there I thought you were talking about me. I had a 300-mag for a while and hated it (for all the reasons you posted above). I now have several Marllin lever-guns that take care of pretty much any distance I'll shoot, including a Marlin 45-70. My only bolt gun now, a CZ452 in .22
__________________
http://breakingbooks.wordpress.com
http://www.kenmarshallmetalworks.com/
I may not be Rainman, but I'm not stupid eighter. Like Bartek on a taco.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:56 AM   #26789
HardCase
winter is coming
 
HardCase's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: chambers on the Third
Oddometer: 9,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatling View Post
I've been a fan of the .375 H&H for a long time. This is my "go to" rifle...it's a Remington 700 I bought in Texas in the late 1970s...


Last year I bought a Ruger M-77 in 375 H&H that was still new in the box...haven't fired this one yet...I sure like the wood.


And I take delivery tomorrow on a Ruger No. 1 in .375 Ruger. That one has even nicer wood than the two above, but I don't have any photos of it yet. The .375 Ruger is an interesting round, with velocities at or above the .375 H&H and case dimensions that allow chambering it in standard length actions (not that this feature makes any difference in a Ruger No. 1). I'm curious to see how it shoots and how it recoils.

Someone above posted about case shoulder making a difference in recoil. I'd never heard of that; I always thought recoil was strictly a function of muzzle velocity, bullet weight, rifle weight, and stock design. You know, F = ma.

My 375 Model 700 has a hefty kick to it; substantially more than a .30 06, but still manageable. It is not a gun you can shoot from the bench all day long. That said, the .375's recoil is way below a .458 Win Mag or a .45-70 loaded to max velocity in a Ruger No. 1. I love shooting the .375 H&H, but if I'm going to be burning up a lot of ammo, the .308 and the .30 06 are two of my favorites. Been doing a lot with the .223 lately, too (I kind of fell in love with my Circassian Mini 14). The Mini is not all that accurate, but every once in a while it kind of settles in and lets me connect with metal gongers at 275 yards on a regular basis.
Those are some beautiful guns, gatling. I've seen a lot of really nice wood on No. 1s, but not so much on 700s or 77s, although occasionally you'll spot one that seemingly slipped through. Post up some pics of the 375 Ruger when you get a chance, I'd love to see it. I need to pull the 9.3x74R out of the safe and take some pics, it's a No. 1 although the wood on that one is nothing spectacular. Not bad though. I have one other No. 1 in 7mm Rem. Mag that is beautiful. I bought that one back in the 70s.

Re the 375 case shoulder affecting recoil, I didn't see that and certainly didn't say it. We did discuss case stretch, head separations following repeated handloadings, that sort of thing, and how that is something a guy has to be careful of with long tapered cases with puny little shoulders.....like the 375H&H.
__________________
Μολών λαβέ

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:43 AM   #26790
gatling
Beastly Adventurer
 
gatling's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Oddometer: 2,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
Those are some beautiful guns, gatling. I've seen a lot of really nice wood on No. 1s, but not so much on 700s or 77s, although occasionally you'll spot one that seemingly slipped through. Post up some pics of the 375 Ruger when you get a chance, I'd love to see it. I need to pull the 9.3x74R out of the safe and take some pics, it's a No. 1 although the wood on that one is nothing spectacular. Not bad though. I have one other No. 1 in 7mm Rem. Mag that is beautiful. I bought that one back in the 70s.
ater
Re the 375 case shoulder affecting recoil, I didn't see that and certainly didn't say it. We did discuss case stretch, head separations following repeated handloadings, that sort of thing, and how that is something a guy has to be careful of with long tapered cases with puny little shoulders.....like the 375H&H.
Thanks, Hardcase. The Model 700 I posted above is an exceptional rifle. The guy at the gunstore (Alpine Range, in Fort Worth) knew I was a wood freak and he showed it to me when I was in the store one day. He had ordered it for a guy who was going to Africa. I told him I wanted it and he told me it was already sold, but the guy hadn't seen it yet. I asked him to order another one for the other guy and he told me he couldn't do that. I told him to take a good look at me, because it was the last time he'd ever see me if he didn't sell me the one above. Long story short, he did as I asked and the gun was mine. I think I paid something like $342 in '78 for it. When I came back to pick it up he reluctantly showed me the other one he ordered for the guy who was supposed to get this one; it was plain (broomstick wood, I called it).

I am getting the 375 Ruger No. 1 today and I will try to get a photo or two of it posted later this weekend.
__________________
www.CSCMotorcycles.com
'06 KLR 650 (Red...the fast one...)
'10 California Scooter (my Baja Blaster!)
gatling is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014