User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 619 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 09-16-2012, 07:46 AM   #26806
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 39,357
Put me with the concerned about the scope crowd. That rifle in .45-70 cries for peep sites.

Skinner sites in particular.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:48 AM   #26807
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 39,357
ps You guys are all rotten baaastads for posting these big bore single shots. Especially you Gatling. You are a bad man, a very bad man.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:07 AM   #26808
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
But as has been stated here, 45/70 can range from mild to holy shit.
I love me some "holy shit" 45/70!

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:18 AM   #26809
gatling
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen View Post
ps You guys are all rotten baaastads for posting these big bore single shots. Especially you Gatling. You are a bad man, a very bad man.
Jurgen, you have no idea...

Regarding scopes versus iron sights, I find that I am enjoying shoot iron sights more these days than the scoped rifles. Bit more of a challenge...that sort of thing.

Lyle, the .375 Ruger is supposed to be 100-200 fps faster than the .375 H&H. Personally, I think that difference is so small as to be silly. No animal would ever know the difference. I'll probably never explore those velocity regions...all of my shooting has been and will be with my own reloads, and for what I shoot (targets, steel gongers, jackrabbits, and sometimes pigs), I don't need stratospheric velocities or energy levels. For most of the stuff I shoot in .45 70 or .458 I use cast bullets (lots of fun), and I have a bunch of .375 jacketed bullets I'm working through. Once the .375 bullets are used up, I'll buy the molds for a .375 bullet and switch to cast on those, too.

The principal advantage of the .375 Ruger is that it is shorter than the .375 H&H and it can be chambered in a standard length action (i.e., those used for cartridges in the .30 06 range). That is a moot point with a single-shot rifle (cartridge length is irrelevant on the Ruger No. 1). Brass for both cartridges is a little bit tough to come by and relatively expensive. I hadn't bought any brass in a long time, and I had a heck of a time finding .375 Ruger brass, but I finally did.

You can still pick up brand new Howa .375 Ruger bolt action rifles for about $550 (a hell of a deal). I don't have one, but I've had a couple of other Howas and they are good, accurate rifles. I have one I stocked myself in .30 06 (cherry wood with a Mannlicher style stock) 25 years ago and it is sweet.

I am pretty intrigued by those H&R big bores. I've been keeping my eye out for their Buffalo Classic in .45 70. The stars haven't come into alignment for me on that one yet, but someday they will. I have matching blanks in birdseye maple for the stock and fore end, and I would like to see them on that rifle.

There's something magical about fine wood and single shot rifles, especially if you get good with them using iron sights. I'm not much of a black plastic fan, but show me a classy rifle with good wood and I'm a goner.

gatling screwed with this post 09-16-2012 at 03:02 PM
gatling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:51 AM   #26810
BMW Kurt
Bluesman

Oddometer: 10,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatling View Post

I think I just came a little in my pants!
Old 09-16-2012, 10:55 AM   #26811
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,467
No 1 Safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
Wow! Beautiful. I love No. 1s. The wood is gorgeous. I like the straighter grain in a hard-kicking rifle in preference to swirly stuff. Maybe it's just psychological, but I feel like it's less likely to crack or split under recoil. That one has some great contrasting shades and colors but is still fairly straight.

I like the V rear and the bead front sights too, great for a charging dinosaur. Have extra rounds between the fingers of your left hand (assuming you are a right-handed shooter) and a protocol for rapid reloading, though! When I was hunting with my 7 RM No. 1 I actually found a buttstock ammo carrier, held four or five, but instead of on the butt of the gun I wore it on my left wrist, thought I could reload more quickly that way. The No. 1 clears the shell out of the action quick but you need to turn it 90 degrees to the side so the expended brass will fall away, otherwise it tends to get hung up on the safety lever.

I think that every time I shoot my No. 1V I say that I am going to take it apart and bevel the front of that safety. It seems like it would be a really easy thing for the factory to have changed ..... 25 years ago.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:04 PM   #26812
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatling View Post
Jurgen, you have no idea...

There's something magical about fine wood and single shot rifles, especially if you get good with them using iron sights. I'm not much of a black plastic fan, but show me a classy rifle with good wood and I'm a goner.
Yes there is. My go to gun is a pre64 model 70 super grade. It at one point had beautifull wood. I have beat the shit out of this gun for over 30 years and it was 20+ when I got it.and everytime I clean it after a season I look at the beauty of the stock. I have many guns but opening morning if I'm not carefull it is what I grab. Not a single but I hear ya.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
NDEBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:13 PM   #26813
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,340
These kind of make me think of African big game express rifles with single pipes.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:54 PM   #26814
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,100
This will sound stupid but some of the best wood I have seen was it was not intinded but was on early Remingtons. I've seen and owned 1100 shotguns that had better wood than a lot of #1's
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
NDEBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:03 PM   #26815
gatling
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
These kind of make me think of African big game express rifles with single pipes.
Lyle
Which is exactly one of the key things Mr. Ruger intended when he brought the No. 1 to market.
gatling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:24 PM   #26816
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,340
Methinks I'd like one in .375 H&H.
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:18 PM   #26817
Juanjo_NY
Made in Argentina

Oddometer: 4,127
finally got to try the 45-70.
With 325g ammo the kick was pretty mellow in comparison to the 3" turkey shells and 3" slugs.. those damn things left a mark in my shoulder..
LOVE the 45-70, few times the scope hit my glasses, but nothing major..

also got to shot my mate's AR-15

like I predicted, it was an AWESOME weekend!! :)
Old 09-16-2012, 05:55 PM   #26818
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen View Post
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:27 PM   #26819
ZzyzyxRd
Home of the odds

Oddometer: 11,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
I'd very much like to own a P-01 or SP-01 at some point.
I'm torn.
I want to start three gun and I really like the SP-01 but their seems to be more P-01's available.
As the CZ's become increasingly popular the supply is dwindling even more and the prices are starting to get stupid silly.

Problem is I also want the 97 just wish they would make one with a rail.
So technically there are three on the list.

Who was it here that had the CZ97?
ZzyzyxRd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:48 PM   #26820
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Escape View Post
I think that every time I shoot my No. 1V I say that I am going to take it apart and bevel the front of that safety. It seems like it would be a really easy thing for the factory to have changed ..... 25 years ago.

Bruce
I think they designed it that way intentionally, to allow easy retrieval of the fired brass for range/target shooters, just keep the gun straight up, the shell comes back, stops on the safety, and you just pluck it out of there and into pocket or range bag, or tip it to the side as you eject when hunting so the shell-casing falls clear and you can quicky chamber another round. Once you get the hang of it, the arrangement works beautifully!

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: