ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 709 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 09-23-2012, 12:38 PM   #26911
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount
 
EvilGenius's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: DFW, Texas
Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Ruger mini 14. vs. mini 30? The 14 is a .223, and the 30 is a .308, right? Which is the better gun? What's a good price for a synthetic mini 14? Thanks
Lyle
The 30 is a 7.62X39 (AK round). It uses a. 311 bullet.

Their prices have gone way up over the last few years and it really comes down to what you consider value.

A lot of the AR guys think theyre ok rifles, but at around $600-$700 that they're a rip off cause you can get an ultra awesome super mega cheap AR for about the same price and fit into the sewing club at the local range.

It really is up to you, I think theyre worth the money.

As for the .223/7.62. Depends on what you want.

The .223 is cheaper and more accurate, the mini30 has trouble with the cheap berdan primed stuff, but you can possibly hunter better with it.

__________________
"Try turning that burn into torque. Then we're getting somewhere. Riding the potato to work seems quite impractical." - anotherguy

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:09 PM   #26912
vspeed
Gnarly Adventurer
 
vspeed's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Appalachia
Oddometer: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by John E View Post
what year is the LandCruiser in the background...?

It's a '69.

Speaking of Mini-14's. I've been thinking about getting another one. Had one of the early ones that my dad bought around 1980 or so. It was reliable and sturdy, but not the most accurate rifle I ever shot. I've read that the newer ones are better in terms of accuracy, anyone got any experience with the new ones?

I also know where I can lay my hands on a couple of Armalite AR-15's, and a Colt LEwhatever (9620 or something like that). Might go that route also. What do you guys know about Armalite Vs. Colt quality wise?
vspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:59 PM   #26913
urbancowboy
Vicious Cycler
 
urbancowboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Laughing at Jerks in NYC
Oddometer: 1,741
all the answers

for convenience, all of the common questions are answered here:



">





(sorry if 205)
__________________
bmw makes motorcycles now?
smugmug link:
https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=fMX8CMi5nSlps will save you $5 at the best photo hosting site on the internets. you can almost buy a beer in nyc with that. your welcome.
[/B]
urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:11 PM   #26914
gatling
Beastly Adventurer
 
gatling's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Oddometer: 2,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by vspeed View Post
It's a '69.

Speaking of Mini-14's. I've been thinking about getting another one. Had one of the early ones that my dad bought around 1980 or so. It was reliable and sturdy, but not the most accurate rifle I ever shot. I've read that the newer ones are better in terms of accuracy, anyone got any experience with the new ones?

I also know where I can lay my hands on a couple of Armalite AR-15's, and a Colt LEwhatever (9620 or something like that). Might go that route also. What do you guys know about Armalite Vs. Colt quality wise?
The new Mini 14 rifles are reportedly more accurate than the older ones due to a larger diameter barrel and perhaps other changes, but these rifles are not tack drivers. What they are is a lot fun to shoot. My Mini 14 seems to prefer 63 grain bullets over 55 grain bullets, but it shoots well with 55 grain bullets, too. It likes 748 or IMR 4198 powder. I've run thousands of rounds through my Mini 14 and it's never had a failure to feed. It's the rifle I shoot most often.



In the photo above my notation on OAL is incorrect; it should be 2.25 inches.
__________________
www.CSCMotorcycles.com
'15 RX-3 CSC Cyclone (I'm getting the 1st one!)
'06 KLR 650 (Red...the fast one...)
'10 California Scooter (my Baja Blaster!)
gatling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:43 PM   #26915
vspeed
Gnarly Adventurer
 
vspeed's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Appalachia
Oddometer: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatling View Post
The new Mini 14 rifles are reportedly more accurate than the older ones due to a larger diameter barrel and perhaps other changes, but these rifles are not tack drivers. What they are is a lot fun to shoot. My Mini 14 seems to prefer 63 grain bullets over 55 grain bullets, but it shoots well with 55 grain bullets, too. It likes 748 or IMR 4198 powder. I've run thousands of rounds through my Mini 14 and it's never had a failure to feed. It's the rifle I shoot most often.

In the photo above my notation on OAL is incorrect; it should be 2.25 inches.
Nice looking rifle. I always did like the looks of the Mini-14. They kind of remind me of an M1 Carbine. Yours has a nicer stock than I recall mine having. My old Mini-14 never shot groups like the one you've pictured above, but it was 100% reliable, and it seemed to be built to last forever. That's the reason I'm considering another one. I think they may hold up better under harsh conditions than an AR, especially the stainless steel/synthetic stock version. If I get a new one I wouldn't really expect it to be a "tack driver", but if I could reliably hit a paper plate with it from 100 yards I'd be happy. I would never have been able to do that with my old mini, my AR-15 will do it fairly easily.
vspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:41 PM   #26916
ZzyzyxRd
Home of the odds
 
ZzyzyxRd's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: So Nev
Oddometer: 11,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
The 30 is a 7.62X39 (AK round). It uses a. 311 bullet.

Their prices have gone way up over the last few years and it really comes down to what you consider value.

A lot of the AR guys think theyre ok rifles, but at around $600-$700 that they're a rip off cause you can get an ultra awesome super mega cheap AR for about the same price and fit into the sewing club at the local range.

It really is up to you, I think theyre worth the money.

As for the .223/7.62. Depends on what you want.

The .223 is cheaper and more accurate, the mini30 has trouble with the cheap berdan primed stuff, but you can possibly hunter better with it.

They were a good deal, as was the 9mm carbine.
Not so much right now.
Hopefully once this run on guns is over prices will come back to earth.
ZzyzyxRd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:00 PM   #26917
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers
 
AZbiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Phoenix, in the Arcadia area
Oddometer: 6,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by vspeed View Post
I think they may hold up better under harsh conditions than an AR
Anybody ever try this with a mini?

__________________
rubber side down,

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:08 PM   #26918
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount
 
EvilGenius's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: DFW, Texas
Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZbiker View Post
Anybody ever try this with a mini?

I want to see someone with a mini do that.

Hell, if I had one and the ammo I'd try it.

Assuming the mini used had no previous reliability issues, I think it'd be fine.
__________________
"Try turning that burn into torque. Then we're getting somewhere. Riding the potato to work seems quite impractical." - anotherguy

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:16 AM   #26919
GoGo Gadget
Beastly Adventurer
 
GoGo Gadget's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Oddometer: 1,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
But that's not in 9mm.


It is a double stack magazine, front to back instead of staggered side to side.
__________________
I don't know how or when I'll die, but I know someone will be holding my beer for me when I do.


I have been told I have the body of a God. What does this Buddha guy look like?
GoGo Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:20 AM   #26920
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount
 
EvilGenius's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: DFW, Texas
Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGo Gadget View Post
It is a double stack magazine, front to back instead of staggered side to side.
__________________
"Try turning that burn into torque. Then we're getting somewhere. Riding the potato to work seems quite impractical." - anotherguy

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:56 PM   #26921
00SS
Always a vicious cycle
 
00SS's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Keller, Texas
Oddometer: 1,675
ready to go sight in (not that i don't trust bore sighting from academy)




__________________
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice
00SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:54 PM   #26922
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows
 
buildit's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Simpsons home town Ohio
Oddometer: 14,083
I was so happy the gun is clean and working again. Not to mention the grouping at 220+ft.

__________________
http://www.youtube.com/user/advfilmer
2013 Super-10
2007 KTM950SEr
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)

buildit screwed with this post 09-25-2012 at 02:22 PM
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:59 PM   #26923
davsato
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: southern England
Oddometer: 799
out of date ammo

read our in house (British MoD) magazine today and there was an article about how in helmand they now have a tailor made machine to incinerate out of date small arms ammo. six months shelf life, thats it. up to 18 tons of it every month. incinerator cooks off the primer and powder, the bullet even stays in the case. then its sold as scrap metal, brass, steel, antimony in AP rounds.
i can understand propellant going off with humid/dry cycles etc and squaddies need tiptop stuff at all times, but someone must be willing to pay over scrap value for what must be 99.9% perfectly good ammo.
__________________
Dave
davsato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:31 PM   #26924
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows
 
buildit's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Simpsons home town Ohio
Oddometer: 14,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by davsato View Post
but someone must be willing to pay over scrap value for what must be 99.9% perfectly good ammo.
Yellow brass, what most shells are made of, is currently around $1.70 a pound.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/user/advfilmer
2013 Super-10
2007 KTM950SEr
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:36 PM   #26925
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Dearborn, MI
Oddometer: 5,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by davsato View Post
read our in house (British MoD) magazine today and there was an article about how in helmand they now have a tailor made machine to incinerate out of date small arms ammo. six months shelf life, thats it. up to 18 tons of it every month. incinerator cooks off the primer and powder, the bullet even stays in the case. then its sold as scrap metal, brass, steel, antimony in AP rounds.
i can understand propellant going off with humid/dry cycles etc and squaddies need tiptop stuff at all times, but someone must be willing to pay over scrap value for what must be 99.9% perfectly good ammo.
That's crazy. Just another way to ream the British public. If that ammo goes bad after 6 months, someone is screwing the government by selling them shoddy ammo. I have German 7.9 X 57 that is headstamped 1936 that is still reliable. Same goes for the WWII 30-06 I have. I also have 1962-63 7.62 NATO and .45 ACP, and they're still OK.

Military ammunition is loaded using a sealant for both the primer and projectile, and for all practical purposes, it's waterproof. It's also packed in waterproof packaging and is regularly inspected in storage and repacked.
__________________
10 Ducati 1098 Streetfighter S - "Sleipnir"
09 Kaw Versys
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
"The problem with Socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money" _____ Margaret Thatcher
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014