Old 10-04-2012, 08:40 PM   #26987
Dysco
Whackaducker

Oddometer: 16,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadady View Post
another customer's gun, we did this using the "pink spokes" rule,

little 870 in .410,

That's not bad, kinda fun for a kid or something. I've been thinking about painting up my Benelli M2... but then I'd be painting up a Benelli M2. I'm not sure if I'm ready for that kind of remorse.
Dysco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:50 PM   #26988
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfdog View Post
Just bought one of these two weeks ago.... love this gun !!

SA 1911 Range Officer
[/QUOTE]

Don't know much about 1911's except they were designed bu John Browning and Colt no longer has the exclusive rights to make them. Is the Springfield version a good example of the type? I see S&W makes one as well, as does almost everybody? Contemplating one. Which one is the best "bang" for the buck?
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:46 PM   #26989
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,541
1911's

When there were a lot less to choose from, I would have told you to get a Kimber. 10 or 15 years ago most of them cost about the same but Kimber seemed to offer more 'upgrades' in their stock guns and unlike a Colt, it would work reliably, right out of the box. These days there are so many choices that I am not familiar with that it's harder to say which to choose. My Kimber has been great, and I love my buddy's Wilson but just can't part with that much $$$. When I shot highpower rifle (25 years ago) many competitors referred to the Springfield Armory guys (they as well as many other big names would set up shop at Camp Perry for the nationals) as "the plumbers" because so many of their guns ceased to fire while on the line, but it isn't likely that any of those guys are still working there so that reputation should be long out of date (my M1A Super Match is built on a Springfield (TM) receiver, just not by them).
If I were in the market for another .45, I really don't know what it would be. Guess I didn't tell you much.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:53 PM   #26990
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 8,382
This is bound to start a flame, but I'd give Rock Island a shot. They may be made in PI, but for the money, I think they are the best 1911 out there. Simple, no frills, and well built.

That said though, I love my Kimber. But, if I were buying one to get into the game, Rock Island would be it.

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:07 PM   #26991
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
This is bound to start a flame, but I'd give Rock Island a shot. They may be made in PI, but for the money, I think they are the best 1911 out there. Simple, no frills, and well built.

That said though, I love my Kimber. But, if I were buying one to get into the game, Rock Island would be it.
This.

Rock Island is the best bang for buck as far as 1911s go, unless youre wanting a match or competition gun.

If you really need a name brand one though the basic Remington 1911 is pretty good for the price.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:11 PM   #26992
Stromdog
Howl at the Moon

Oddometer: 2,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Escape View Post
When there were a lot less to choose from, I would have told you to get a Kimber. 10 or 15 years ago most of them cost about the same but Kimber seemed to offer more 'upgrades' in their stock guns and unlike a Colt, it would work reliably, right out of the box. These days there are so many choices that I am not familiar with that it's harder to say which to choose. My Kimber has been great, and I love my buddy's Wilson but just can't part with that much $$$. When I shot highpower rifle (25 years ago) many competitors referred to the Springfield Armory guys (they as well as many other big names would set up shop at Camp Perry for the nationals) as "the plumbers" because so many of their guns ceased to fire while on the line, but it isn't likely that any of those guys are still working there so that reputation should be long out of date (my M1A Super Match is built on a Springfield (TM) receiver, just not by them).
If I were in the market for another .45, I really don't know what it would be. Guess I didn't tell you much.

Bruce
1911's are great! Good stopping power, etc. I'm sticking with my Glock 9's, as any handgun is a poor excuse for a rifle. 15 or 17 rounds is the best chance you might have for fighting your way to a better defensive position or to your rifle, carbine or shotgun. The Glock's go "bang", every time. YMMV.
Stromdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:40 AM   #26993
ZzyzyxRd
Home of the odds

Oddometer: 11,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post

Nothing wrong with the RIA's, they do what they are supposed to do, especially considering you can pick one up for 500.00 or less.
The Springfield RO is in at a decent price too, how much are the Remingtons going for?
Ruger has a budget 1911 out now too.

Sorry to say I haven't had any good experiences with Kimber and I stay away from them now.
Love me some DW's though...
ZzyzyxRd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:48 AM   #26994
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZzyzyxRd View Post
The Springfield RO is in at a decent price too, how much are the Remingtons going for?
Somewhere in the 600s.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:47 AM   #26995
meatsack
Moto-idiot

Oddometer: 392
Love my springfield 1911 "loaded".

Great gun, more accurate than I am, always goes "bang".
04' CRF230 Flat Tracker, 02' CRF150F, 66' CB160

meatsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #26996
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,477
Ruger makes a 1911. Thoughts?
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:52 PM   #26997
Juanjo_NY
Made in Argentina

Oddometer: 4,565
Shooting with the boys!!

Old 10-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #26998
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanjo_NY View Post
Me and my buddies years ago would play a game that this pic remides me of. We would all have a can and the point was to shoot under it and "walk" it to a set point.Kind of a race i guess. Good times.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
NDEBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:14 PM   #26999
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,510
Great day-
For father's day- we chased down some brass and dies, and my 13 year old son loaded 50 rounds of 300 savage ammo as a present for my dad.

We finally got a change to go test it .

Dad hadn't shot his old Savage model 99 in many years (1953 model), the scope (from the 60's) was still pretty on, just a bit high. It produced ear to ear grins all around- we had some bowling pins that made excellent targets

The boy with my Rem 700 in .223- he's 14 tomorrow

He pulled the scope off his little savage .22 for kicks

My Rem 700 on the left, Savage 93 in .17 on the right, my son's Savage 111 in .243 tucked in there, The range was a mess ,

Three generations--Good stuff people-
Old 10-06-2012, 05:35 PM   #27000
Toysrme
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Cool2

Please excuse the ancient photos!

Gold/Pearl 400th Anniversary of St. Augustine Colt Peacemaker

Little Colt Arista Cub .25acp. So tiny! I nearly always carry it. And a Logitec G9x gaming mouse & Harmony remote :p Ya, big time a few years ago LoL!

1 shot .22 Lady's Derringer
9 shot .22 revolver (target practice!)

CETME

.22lr pump rifle one grandfather left me. unknown maker. his father got it raiding a still near the turn of the century.

Remington Rolling block in .45-75 govt

Lee-Enfield No.5 in .303 British. My second favorite gun. My first shot ever with this old gun I slammed it home on my grandfather's mailbox... From his front porch 120yds away. It was a good day!

.410 Remington 1100 shotgun. Why .410? Because it's the ultimate snake solution. Anything more is useless & they didn't make many in .410. ;)
.22lr savage 500. Meh...

Matched set of 1967 Whichester Canadian Centennial's in .30-30. Cheaper than the more beloved & all-milled "pre '64 wood grips" but 45 years later they're as good as new & the plastic stocks are almost a full pound lighter on mine... No idea what gun person decided they weren't as good as desirable as the pre '64's...
Upper one is the 20" carbine (my favorite gun ever! Soooo light! Shoots so well!)
Lower one is the full 26" rifle.

A lot of people don't like the stock irons. I do well with them. .30-30 has some drop at 200yds, but the drop matches up with the diameter of the bead. Shoot one bead high at 200yds = on target. They both still outshoot my vision... :)
Toysrme is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: