Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 681 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 02:09 PM   #27091
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Oddometer: 3,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
It's just for my big yellow rubber gopher....fmj?
Lyle
Tracer time!
KLR Doohickey Wrench available!
The North Florida Tag-O-Rama wants YOU!
newcastleadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:19 PM   #27092
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastleadam View Post
I generally like Glocks, but keep in mind the G17 has a DAO trigger while the Sig SP 2022 has a DA/SA trigger. For some folks that's the deciding factor.
How is the G17 a double action trigger? I thought a double action required a hammer which the trigger pull cocked as it was pulled?
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:22 PM   #27093
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
How is the G17 a double action trigger? I thought a double action required a hammer which the trigger pull cocked as it was pulled?
Technically it isn't either, but it's classified as a DAO.

It's single action in the sense that the slide must be actuated so that the striker can be "pre-cocked" or else pulling the trigger won't do anything. But if the striker were dropped from the pre cocked position it wouldn't have enough energy to set off the primer. You must pull the trigger to fully cock and then release the striker, much like a DAO revolver or pistol.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother

EvilGenius screwed with this post 10-12-2012 at 02:27 PM
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:35 PM   #27094
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Oddometer: 3,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
Technically it isn't either, but it's classified as a DAO.

It's single action in the sense that the slide must be actuated so that the striker can be "pre-cocked" or else pulling the trigger won't do anything. But if the striker were dropped from the pre cocked position it wouldn't have enough energy to set off the primer. You must pull the trigger to fully cock and then release the striker, much like a DAO revolver or pistol.
Thanks for stating that better than I. The point I was trying to make is that the Glock trigger will feel like a Glock trigger, while the SIG will feel like a "normal" DA/SA trigger. So depending on your firearm usage history, you may feel more at home with one over the other, and use one better than the other. In either case, I'll let someone chime in with first-person usage.

Best,
KLR Doohickey Wrench available!
The North Florida Tag-O-Rama wants YOU!
newcastleadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:21 PM   #27095
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,066
Don't tell Glock that. They appear to consider it neither. (SA = Safe Action)

“Safe Action”® System GLOCK’s revolutionary “Safe Action”® System provides a consistent trigger pull from the first to the last round. The three automatic independently operating mechanical safeties are built into the fire control system of the pistol. All three safeties disengage sequentially as the trigger is pulled and automatically reengage when the trigger is released. This safe, simple and fast system allows the user to concentrate fully on tactical tasks, particularly while under stress.
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:52 PM   #27096
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Escape View Post
I have watched that one quite a few times, it doesn't come any where near "my" version of reality but they do at times produce some pretty impressive firearms from big blocks of metal. They don't seem to have as much 'conflict' as many so-called reality shows but that was beginning to change when the show finished the past season. Far too much money spent on fancy paint jobs, engraving and plating for my tastes. I have to wonder if one can buy a CNC program to 'build your own' 1911, SAA or Winchester 92 or if someone there actually has the talent to write one. Lacking any good shows with a firearms theme, I won't turn it off when I happen across it.

Bruce
I am confident that I can produce anything they've shown on any part of any episode I've seen of that show with less drama and more awesome.

I am an engineer, CNC machinist, and gun enthusiast.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:40 PM   #27097
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by koncha View Post
Thought I would ask the inmates...

Is $880 a good price for a numbers matching 1941 Luger in good condition?

If you don't want it I might be interested.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
NDEBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:58 PM   #27098
koncha

Oddometer: 10,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDEBT View Post
If you don't want it I might be interested.
I passed on it. I just bought a .30 Carbine and I couldn't justify the additional expense.

It is in my brother's personal collection and he says it isn't leaving. He has a lot of cool stuff.
koncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:08 PM   #27099
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,493
No Doubt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
I am confident that I can produce anything they've shown on any part of any episode I've seen of that show with less drama and more awesome.

I certainly believe that!
Even without the theatrics (no doubt encouraged by the director and certainly not anything that helps the shop be productive), no one there impresses me as being particularly brilliant.
I do wonder as to whether they have the capability to 'reverse engineer' some of what they end up producing or if the programs are out there for sale to 'plug in to' a CNC? My very limited machine shop time ended almost 40 years ago so I am always impressed with what 'appears' when they pop it off the mill.
That said, there isn't much that has come from that shop that I really wanted to own.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:04 AM   #27100
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

Oddometer: 2,636
Quote:

But do you have one of these?

fyrfytr screwed with this post 10-13-2012 at 04:13 AM
fyrfytr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:42 AM   #27101
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,316
Quote:

Youtube videos!

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:00 AM   #27102
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Okay, so now that I have this nice little (it's really little!) Mini 14, what's the best ammo for it. It's a "fun" gun, I don't hunt. What's cheap, and will not damage the beast? It came with scope rings? Anybody put a scope on one of these? Of course you have.
Lyle
I will add a +3 to the PMC Bronze stuff. But, really, I tend to buy whatever happens to be on sale as long as it is either PMC, or US made ammo like Federal or Winchester which is my favorite primarily because I'm a fervent handloader and love Winchester brass for the 223 better than any other brand. Awesome stuff.

What I would NOT use is the steel cased Bear or other Russian or Eastern Euro manufactured cheap stuff with the shellac coating. I use that in my AK 47, mostly because I don't handload 7.62x39 and it's neither easy nor inexpensive to find brass case ammo in that caliber, but nowhere else. Period. BTW, when my son was 12 (he's now 34) and took hunter safety and wanted to hunt, I bought him a Mini-30. He still has it. I liked that gun for him because of the light weight, low recoil, (marginally) adequate power for deer at under 100 yards, and also the fact that, since the kiddo is left-handed, he could deal with a semi-auto slightly better than with a right-handed bolt. We never shot crap steel-cased ammo in that gun, always made sure we could find some decent brass stuff even though it cost about twice as much.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:01 AM   #27103
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrfytr View Post
But do you have one of these?
I'm an engineer... so, no.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:42 PM   #27104
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

Oddometer: 2,636
Quote:
I'm an engineer... so, no.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:59 PM   #27105
Boondoggle
Gear Grinder

Oddometer: 13,211
Ruger LCR vs. SP101 vs. what have you?

Ok so I had a few minutes at the local dealer, and I've been thinking about snubby revolvers lately.

Held a S&W Bodyguard and an Airweight, neither really felt that good in my hands, grips just felt tiny. Picked up an LCR in .38 spl and loved the fit and trigger feel. The .357 felt the same, but felt just a hair heavier (which, from what I've read about snubbies, is a good thing).

have not held an SP101, but that is also on the list to look at.

Any thoughts on the relative merits? I hear a lot about SP101, but not much about the LCR, anything to watch out for with it? (yes, I know, polymer is evil, but any real-world issues?)

edit: Oh, and I already have an LC9 and a GP100, if I buy another Ruger does it mean there's something wrong with me?
I've been poking a giant bouncy ball with a needle. You feel anything yet? -Blake716

Boondoggle screwed with this post 10-13-2012 at 02:17 PM
Boondoggle is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: