User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 595 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 10-13-2012, 04:52 PM   #27106
Hedge36
Chasing parts.

Oddometer: 44,053
Back to shooting after a five-year hiatus.

Hubba hubba.
Hedge36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:08 PM   #27107
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondoggle View Post
Ok so I had a few minutes at the local dealer, and I've been thinking about snubby revolvers lately.

Held a S&W Bodyguard and an Airweight, neither really felt that good in my hands, grips just felt tiny. Picked up an LCR in .38 spl and loved the fit and trigger feel. The .357 felt the same, but felt just a hair heavier (which, from what I've read about snubbies, is a good thing).

have not held an SP101, but that is also on the list to look at.

Any thoughts on the relative merits? I hear a lot about SP101, but not much about the LCR, anything to watch out for with it? (yes, I know, polymer is evil, but any real-world issues?)

edit: Oh, and I already have an LC9 and a GP100, if I buy another Ruger does it mean there's something wrong with me?
I have a 3" barrel SP101. Great little gun. Pretty chunky, built like a tank. Shoots well. I like it a lot. I don't have the LCR, but a friend does. It's a real lightweight, double-action only (the SP can be shot either double or single action, an option I personally like a lot), and more intended for CCW use. An SP would make a fine CCW gun, but it'd need to be carried in a holster, is too heavy for pocket carry in anything other than a very heavy jacket. I guess your choice should be determined by the use to which you intend to put it.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:46 PM   #27108
Juanjo_NY
Made in Argentina

Oddometer: 4,123
17hmr

Just got sighted my H&R 17HMR.. HOLLY ACCURACY!!! I'm loving it!

BTW, that's my new backyard little range, can't walk on water yet, but I'm guessing a little over 100 yards.. :)

Juanjo_NY screwed with this post 10-13-2012 at 06:10 PM
Juanjo_NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:49 PM   #27109
Boondoggle
Gear Grinder

Oddometer: 12,817
That's really good information HardCase, thank you. Exactly what I'm looking for.

How do you find the trigger (especially used DA) on the SP101. One of the things that is making me consider DAO is that the trigger on my GP100 is (for my taste) too touchy SA, and somewhat clunky DA.

Appreciate you taking the time
Whoever shows up next better bring ice. -Tom C
Boondoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:38 PM   #27110
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,315
Quote:
Ok so I had a few minutes at the local dealer, and I've been thinking about snubby revolvers lately.

Held a S&W Bodyguard and an Airweight, neither really felt that good in my hands, grips just felt tiny. Picked up an LCR in .38 spl and loved the fit and trigger feel. The .357 felt the same, but felt just a hair heavier (which, from what I've read about snubbies, is a good thing).

have not held an SP101, but that is also on the list to look at.

Any thoughts on the relative merits? I hear a lot about SP101, but not much about the LCR, anything to watch out for with it? (yes, I know, polymer is evil, but any real-world issues?)

edit: Oh, and I already have an LC9 and a GP100, if I buy another Ruger does it mean there's something wrong with me?
I don't necessarily look at those guns as being in the same category. I think they are both pretty cool, but as a GUN the SP101 is a better piece. The things you are going to get that differentiate the LCR, have nothing to do with making it a better gun per se; they are all about weight and profile.

Maybe I am missing something, but seems like it really just comes down to whether you want to carry in your pocket. If not, the SP101 is a heckuva gun.
KSJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:12 PM   #27111
1LIFE2LIVE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,024
The LCR is a Quality compact, reliable, light revolver that is accurate (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idx6E_R63hQ) & Great for Concealed Carry.

Lot's of Great options out there...
1LIFE2LIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:22 PM   #27112
1LIFE2LIVE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,024
FN Five-Seven

Anyone have any real world experience with this pistol?

Seems to have a real low recoil, reliable & be Extremely Accurate even out to a hundred yards...

THANKS,
1LIFE2LIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:31 PM   #27113
HardCase
winter is coming

Quote:
That's really good information HardCase, thank you. Exactly what I'm looking for.

How do you find the trigger (especially used DA) on the SP101. One of the things that is making me consider DAO is that the trigger on my GP100 is (for my taste) too touchy SA, and somewhat clunky DA.

Appreciate you taking the time
I find the DA trigger to be a little heavy, but not too bad. Same with the SA compared to, say, a nice S&W K frame like one of the older 19s or 66s. But it's certainly functional and doesn't take too much getting used to. There are spring kits available that supposedly lighten it up, and don't involve a lot of complex gunsmithing. One of these days I'll probably do that to mine, but I did find that putting about 400 rounds through it helped the trigger somewhat.

Hard cases make bad law.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:19 PM   #27114
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LIFE2LIVE View Post

Seems to have a real low recoil, reliable & be Extremely Accurate even out to a hundred yards...

THANKS,
I've shot about twenty rounds through one. It lived up to the hype. I want one, but just can't justify the expense for something I'm never going to use for its intended purpose, and uses pricey ammo to boot.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:31 PM   #27115
Boondoggle
Gear Grinder

Oddometer: 12,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
I find the DA trigger to be a little heavy, but not too bad. Same with the SA compared to, say, a nice S&W K frame like one of the older 19s or 66s. But it's certainly functional and doesn't take too much getting used to. There are spring kits available that supposedly lighten it up, and don't involve a lot of complex gunsmithing. One of these days I'll probably do that to mine, but I did find that putting about 400 rounds through it helped the trigger somewhat.
My kind of trigger mod.

I might get a chance to shoot both this week. I've shot a fair amount but would certainly consider myself a "novice" shooter. If I get to try them I will come back with impressions.

Thanks again
Whoever shows up next better bring ice. -Tom C
Boondoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:45 PM   #27116
Toysrme
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
juan thats a nice little 17! been meaning to pick one up. my great uncle swore by them & kept one on his tractor/ATV/swampbuggy for years.
Toysrme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:01 AM   #27117
ZzyzyxRd
Home of the odds

Oddometer: 11,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedge36 View Post
Back to shooting after a five-year hiatus.

Hubba hubba.
The XD was how I broke back in too, after almost ten years away.
Great gun, mine was uber reliable.
ZzyzyxRd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:09 AM   #27118
andy29847
Dirt Road Rider

Oddometer: 2,067
James Bond Beretta 418

It's a girl's gun Mr. Bond.

ABC#8350
IBA#7647,
Trenton, SC
Smugmug coupon code = bQItjZEfrqLkI
MOAB Ride Report
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:31 AM   #27119
HardCase
winter is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LIFE2LIVE View Post

THANKS,
My 25 year-old daughter has one, we bought it for her in early '09. She wanted a HD and fun gun that didn't kick a lot, but that would be effective. A 9mm or 38 would have been perfectly fine for her, but we were looking for something a little different and unusual, so settled on the Five-seveN. Lots of fun. As you say, it's accurate, perfectly reliable, and has very low recoil. Very sharp, loud, high-pitched report, but with standard hearing protection it's fine although the blast is quick and different. The gun comes with 3 20 round mags. At the time we bought it I could not find a holster, so ended up buying a $10 Airsoft holster which fitted it perfectly. I posted these pics a while back, but it might have been in a different gun thread, I'm not sure, but this one has grown so long that it's tough to go back, so I'll post them up again.

Hard cases make bad law.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:35 AM   #27120
HardCase
winter is coming

Quote:
My kind of trigger mod.

I might get a chance to shoot both this week. I've shot a fair amount but would certainly consider myself a "novice" shooter. If I get to try them I will come back with impressions.

Thanks again
Amen! I am not sure why, but dry firing a gun several hundred times does not seem to smoothe the trigger out as effectively as does actual live fire.

Hard cases make bad law.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: