Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 844 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 10-20-2012, 09:19 PM   #27196
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achtung View Post
Quandry of the day. I can buy a Colt 1911 in 9mm from circa 1983 or a new Ruger 1911 in 45 for about the same money. I like the idea of a 1911 in 9mm so tat its cheaper to shoot but I'm wondering if there is any consensus on the general quality of Colts from this era.
I can't imagine a 30 year old Colt that hasn't been thoroughly gone through by a qualified gunsmith. I've never known a person with such a gun that hasn't fixed any factory defect (real or imagined) with a better part(s). I will say I like Ruger and I like .45 more than Colt or 9mm.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:11 PM   #27197
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Oddometer: 3,455
Are parts still available?
KLR Doohickey Wrench available!
The North Florida Tag-O-Rama wants YOU!
newcastleadam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:25 PM   #27198
milq
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
They're rebadged Ubertis.

Occasionally I come across someone complaining about reliability or a manufacturing mistake, but it seems to be on the cheaper models that Uberti is known for having issues with on occasion.
I have a pair of Ubertis and had all manner of trouble with the barrels getting caked up with lead in the forcing cones and the first 1/2" or so of rifling. I tried several different bullets and alloys with no luck, adjusted loads, etc. with no luck either.

Finally I slugged the barrels and found the measurement pretty large. I called Uberti's U.S. number and verified what I had thought. They use .44 Mag barrels on 44/40 guns, so I need to be using bullet diameters for .44 mag....basically I'd been melting around the bullets as they go down the barrel. A quick check of the cylinders revealed that I might not be able to swing the larger bullets as the chambers were pretty tight. I also figured it would reduce my number of reloads on the brass if I belled them a bit too large every time so I re-barreled both revolvers and cut a proper forcing cone instead of the the crap excuse they called a forcing cone and haven't looked back.

I know a lot of SASS shooters that have Uberti guns and have never experienced the same problem, so I guess I just got a bad pair. (The barrels were out of spec for 44 mag actually)
Old 10-21-2012, 06:02 AM   #27199
Achtung
Wicked Pisssah Adventurer

Oddometer: 935
Thanks for the advise. I'm leaning towards the Ruger 45 now.
Achtung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:15 AM   #27200
JeffS77
cheap bastard

Oddometer: 3,319
EAA MP-18 (Baikal IZH-18) back on sale at Big 5 for $100...may go look at one..thinking of a full size 410 for my furry little friends with puffy tails

JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:27 AM   #27201
Motor31
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achtung View Post
Quandry of the day. I can buy a Colt 1911 in 9mm from circa 1983 or a new Ruger 1911 in 45 for about the same money. I like the idea of a 1911 in 9mm so tat its cheaper to shoot but I'm wondering if there is any consensus on the general quality of Colts from this era.
Quality in 83 for Colt was ok on their 1911's. I have experiance with a couple form that time period and they required no additional work to be reliable. One, an Officers model, was surprisingly accurate given the shorter barrel and sight radius.

If you can get a Colt for the same money as a Ruger 1911 go with the Colt. Resale will be higher in the Colt later on. You can always pick up the Ruger later on anyhow but Colt has gotten too expensive, IMO, for serious consideration in new guns as simple shooters. To me, the Colt name isn't worth the premium in a new gun.

DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:42 AM   #27202
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400

And I'll throw this one back in

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:00 AM   #27203
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by perterra View Post

And I'll throw this one back in

I had a old Browning .45 back in the day. I have wanted one back since the day I let it go. You just dont see them anymore.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
NDEBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:14 AM   #27204
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 10,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor31 View Post
Quality in 83 for Colt was ok on their 1911's. I have experiance with a couple form that time period and they required no additional work to be reliable. One, an Officers model, was surprisingly accurate given the shorter barrel and sight radius.

If you can get a Colt for the same money as a Ruger 1911 go with the Colt. Resale will be higher in the Colt later on. You can always pick up the Ruger later on anyhow but Colt has gotten too expensive, IMO, for serious consideration in new guns as simple shooters. To me, the Colt name isn't worth the premium in a new gun.
I had a friend who owned a Colt Commander back in the late 60s, made around that time, in 9x19. We shot that gun quite a bit. I was a pure revolver guy then (still am although I've shot a lot of semi-auto and like them.....now) and for some reason we could not hit a barn from the inside of the barn with that thing, try as we might. It was reliable as hell, but very inaccurate for some reason. He ended up selling it. That was the first semi-auto pistol I'd ever fired. The next one was an Army 1911 in the Army circa 1971, a loose, worn out old WW2 era gun. Couldn't hit anything with that one either. I decided that semi autos were crap and didn't lay hands on another one until I decided to try out a Beretta 92 in the mid-80s. That was a whole different story, and I've been shooting and enjoying semis ever since.

I'd not mind having a Colt 1911 in 9x19. I think the cartridge design with the slight taper to the case leads to better reliability over the long haul than either the 40 or 45 semi-auto rounds with their straight wall cases, and the ammo is half-way reasonable from a cost standpoint.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:24 AM   #27205
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Thinking about getting a CMP garand as a first rifle.

Bad idea or not?

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:48 AM   #27206
HardCase
winter is coming

Quote:
Thinking about getting a CMP garand as a first rifle.

Bad idea or not?
I don't think so. Great rifle, piece of history, fun to shoot. Not an optimal hunting rifle unless you're going after Germans in the Ardennes, but dandy for plinking and range use.

Hard cases make bad law.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:52 AM   #27207
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,751
I see you can now buy SBR directly from SigSauer, not directly (through a dealer), but they come directly as complete rifles. What is the opinion of a 10" SBR Sig? Also, want is the consensus on the Sig 1911? I'm considering a 10" SBR and 1911 Compact TB.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:03 AM   #27208
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
I don't think so. Great rifle, piece of history, fun to shoot. Not an optimal hunting rifle unless you're going after Germans in the Ardennes, but dandy for plinking and range use.
Whatever I get will be primarily for plinking and range use, maybe a little bit of for-fun competition.

Why no go on the hunting?

Originally I was looking at minis before. I want a 30 tactical model, but they're all gone already. There's still some 14s out there, but I feel like some cartridge in .30 cal will cover a wider range in activities for me even if it's BC isn't as nice as .223.

With an AR I could shoot .223 for cheap and get a different upper in .300AAC, but I honestly don't feel like I'm going to find any quality ARs in my <$750 price range in stock any time soon.

The CMP Garand comes in cheaper than all of the above right now.

EvilGenius screwed with this post 10-21-2012 at 10:11 AM
Old 10-21-2012, 10:20 AM   #27209
HardCase
winter is coming

Quote:
Whatever I get will be primarily for plinking and range use, maybe a little bit of for-fun competition.

Why no go on the hunting?

Originally I was looking at minis before. I want a 30 tactical model, but they're all gone already. There's still some 14s out there, but I feel like some cartridge in .30 cal will cover a wider range in activities for me even if it's BC isn't as nice as .223.

With an AR I could shoot .223 for cheap and get a different upper in .300AAC, but I honestly don't feel like I'm going to find any quality ARs in my <$750 price range in stock any time soon.

The CMP Garand comes in cheaper than all of the above right now.
Oh sure, you could hunt with it. It's going to be a hefty load to lug around all day, and mounting a scope isn't something you are likely to do, but for a 100 yard deer rifle it would work.....but I've hunted for almost 50 years and cannot recall ever seeing one in the field, so it's clearly not optimal nor popular for that purpose.

Hard cases make bad law.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:46 AM   #27210
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
Oh sure, you could hunt with it. It's going to be a hefty load to lug around all day, and mounting a scope isn't something you are likely to do, but for a 100 yard deer rifle it would work.....but I've hunted for almost 50 years and cannot recall ever seeing one in the field, so it's clearly not optimal nor popular for that purpose.
Ah, I was aiming along the lines of a replacement composite stock and scout rail with scope for the hunting bit, but that would be over time.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: