Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 658 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 02:41 PM   #27406
CATGS
Bourbon consumer

Oddometer: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDEBT View Post
My gun Dealer and "friend" I think is the best salesman in the world. He called me and asked if I would check out his wifes jeep it had a check engine light on.

I ask if she had just got fuel and check the cap and to reset it by unhooking the battery if so and it is not running bad. He said she was going on a trip and would like me to check it anyway and would give me a free box of shells just to scan it.

Me: ok but you are not selling me a gun.

him: no I don't have anything you would want anyway.

I check it out and sure enough an evap code and she said she just filled up the night before.

I go in to chat and collect my free ammo and he knows I love old Ithaca's and just happened to have just bought a couple of them. I knew I was doomed at that point.

After a bit of haggle and some more free ammo I ended up with another model 37. I only have 9 shotguns anyway so why not? It is a very solid and beautifull gun.

Love 37's... Looking for a nice 16 gauge in a 37..
CATGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:50 PM   #27407
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by CATGS View Post
Love 37's... Looking for a nice 16 gauge in a 37..

I damn near made a package deal with a Browning Sweet 16 with this one. we were only $100.00 apart. I am and I'm sure he is kicking his ass for not making that deal. I'll have it soon .
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
NDEBT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:05 PM   #27408
Juanjo_NY
Made in Argentina

Oddometer: 4,221
Got Mail!

this is the 3rd and hopefully the last scope for my 45-70!
Started with a 6-12x44..to much, 1.5-5x32.. lo little, this 3-9x40 seems to be the right match!

Old 11-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #27409
Rustynuts
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Picked up Savage 110 BA in .338 Lapua Magnum today at a gun show. Now I get to start scope shopping and gathering reloading supplies.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:10 PM   #27410
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,514
3-9x40 was too much for me. Hopefully you'll like it.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:21 PM   #27411
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
Picked up Savage 110 BA in .338 Lapua Magnum today at a gun show. Now I get to start scope shopping and gathering reloading supplies.

Beautiful- I've been drooling over the pics though not seen one

Very interested in shooting results/scope choice
Old 11-03-2012, 07:53 PM   #27412
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,866
Quote:
I'd recommend a good quality scope. Even though that gun is heavy and has a break, powerful rifles tend to be rough on scopes. I think it has more to do with vibration and harmonics than it does actual recoil.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:57 PM   #27413
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,488
Thumb At a Gun Show?

Quote:

You found that at a gun show? Nice find! Around here they are usually sold before they get into inventory, much less make it to a show.
I hear that http://swfa.com/default.aspx has a line of scopes that will stand up to that recoil but I have no actual experience with them. I mostly shoot my old 30-338 with an equally old 20x Unertl, far less than the impact than you will be looking at (on both ends). Enjoy!

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225

Fire Escape screwed with this post 11-03-2012 at 07:59 PM Reason: grammar
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:36 PM   #27414
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
Doesn't glow very well.
I'm shooting things, not playing a video game!

But speaking of video:
2006 KLR650
2001 YX426 (street Legal)

buildit screwed with this post 11-03-2012 at 10:53 PM
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:24 AM   #27415
GoGo Gadget
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
Quote:
A buddy has one. It is very nice to shoot. You don't want to be the spotter though, that muzzle brake will blow you away if you are off to the side of it. Read up on scopes for rifles set up like that. With that muzzle brake you get a rearward impulse from the recoil, then a forward one from the muzzle brake. So the scope has to be able to take both. Not that you would be putting a cheapo scope on somethinglike that anyway.

I have been told I have the body of a God. What does this Buddha guy look like?
GoGo Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:22 AM   #27416
Baggi'tard
Assventure rider

Oddometer: 643
cornfield Ithaca 37

My dad's old Ithaca 37 (16 ga) was pretty rough. So I took it home a few years ago after pheasant season. I wish it didn't have the damn Cutters variable choke on it because it basically doesn't work, but it seems to pattern about like a modified, so still good for pheasant. Couldn't really decide how to clean it up, so went with ceramic coating in "cornfield" camo and refinished the wood. It runs very slick now, like a whole new gun in operation. The 37 are so light and handy, a great gun to carry all day, it's my brothers go-to gun.

"Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff." Bob Lee Swagger.
KTM 640E, KTM Duke II, Ducati Multistrada 1100S

Baggi'tard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:33 AM   #27417
Baggi'tard
Assventure rider

Oddometer: 643
Vintage Military Match K31

After consulting with my CMP match shooting friends on what rifle to buy for the Vintage Military class, I purchased the Swiss K-31 earlier this year. What an incredible gun it turned out to be. Simpsons LTD in Galesburg IL had racks of them, so took a while to pick through. But I couldn't be more impressed. This gun was graded at 98% finish, and honestly it might even be higher, there was zero rust or any other finish issue once I got it apart. Notice that all the serial numbered parts are matching, even the butt plate. Notice the alignment mark on the barrel/receiver (matching #s too). I had no idea where to set the sights, but figured close to the "2" should be good to start at 200 yards. I shot 40 rounds of Prvi Privastin the first time out and all 40 rounds were in the black of the standard 200 yard target. Only move the rear up two clicks, then back down one from where I started. Going to be a great match gun, I definitely love this thing.

"Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff." Bob Lee Swagger.
KTM 640E, KTM Duke II, Ducati Multistrada 1100S

Baggi'tard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:39 AM   #27418
Ze Red Baron
Adventure seeker

Oddometer: 437
Baggi'tard,
that's very nice. Great find.
www.ars-natura.com
Ze Red Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:14 AM   #27419
Rubber Cow
GS Dork

Oddometer: 5,335
K-31s - Awesome Rifles

Wow, what a beautiful K 31....I love my K31. The addition of simple twin diopter sights makes a great shooter even better. What is your rear sight? It looks like it has a precision adjustment knob? Is that for elevation or windage?
Here's a 100 yd group after installing some simple twin-diopter Mojo Sights.
By the way, the mil surplus GP 11 ammo is match grade and costs roughly $.50/ round . You can buy it by the case through Sportsman's Guide

"Woof, woof woof woof ...woof woof!!!!!!!!!"
Cricket the Dog-RIP

Rubber Cow screwed with this post 11-04-2012 at 07:50 AM
Rubber Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:36 AM   #27420
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,488
Laugh Pretty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggi'tard View Post
After consulting with my CMP match shooting friends on what rifle to buy for the Vintage Military class, I purchased the Swiss K-31 earlier this year. What an incredible gun it turned out to be. Simpsons LTD in Galesburg IL had racks of them, so took a while to pick through. But I couldn't be more impressed. This gun was graded at 98% finish, and honestly it might even be higher, there was zero rust or any other finish issue once I got it apart. Notice that all the serial numbered parts are matching, even the butt plate. Notice the alignment mark on the barrel/receiver (matching #s too). I had no idea where to set the sights, but figured close to the "2" should be good to start at 200 yards. I shot 40 rounds of Prvi Privastin the first time out and all 40 rounds were in the black of the standard 200 yard target. Only move the rear up two clicks, then back down one from where I started. Going to be a great match gun, I definitely love this thing.

6.5x55?
I have seen a couple of match rifles built on the action, but they were re barreled to .308. I hadn't seen an original, particularly in such nice shape. That is definitely a great find. Would you mind offering an approximate cost? Not that I 'need' any more rifles but...... you know how that goes.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: