User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 494 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 05:27 PM   #27646
Phat
Banned

Oddometer: 55
A bit off topic but not worth starting a new thread. Opinions on DIY a guns finish? Item in mind at the moment is a circa 1968 Ruger Mk 1. Bit of rust here and there. Nothing is pitted. Ideas welcome.
Phat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:39 PM   #27647
KeithinSC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat View Post
A bit off topic but not worth starting a new thread. Opinions on DIY a guns finish? Item in mind at the moment is a circa 1968 Ruger Mk 1. Bit of rust here and there. Nothing is pitted. Ideas welcome.
Unless the gun has near zero value, dont mess with it. If the rust isnt so bad the gun no longer functions, just leave it. Oil the hell out of it to stop it from getting worse. Might knock it down a bit with bronze wool. (softer than steel wool).

That being said, I redid a Mossberg .22 that had sat 20+ yrs in the corner of a horse barn. Pitted severely. FILED the pits off!, then sanded and polished it. Re-blued with a Brownells cold blueing kit. Do this OUTSIDE!!!! Stinks like you cant believe! Looks nice, very age appropriate patina. But no where as rich a blue as a factory job. Held up well for the past 10 yrs. I keep it oily and it now lives in the corner of my garage!
KeithinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:10 PM   #27648
00SS
Always a vicious cycle

Oddometer: 1,646
anyone have (or have owned) a Star (Firestar 9mm)? picking one up tomorrow on a trade for an 870 express and was wanting to hear from firsthand owners on their take on it.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:56 PM   #27649
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00SS View Post
anyone have (or have owned) a Star (Firestar 9mm)? picking one up tomorrow on a trade for an 870 express and was wanting to hear from firsthand owners on their take on it.
Star imported from Spain by interarms? I've got one. Pull trigger, goes bang.

It's either from my dad or one of his friends, so that means it was cheap to buy 20 years ago. Too many newer 9's in the safe now for it to find it's way out to get shot. Don't actually remember the last time it was used.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:03 PM   #27650
Rustynuts
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat View Post
Two options, option one is an easy to use product called Duracote http://www.lauerweaponry.com/

Option two, since it is a nice old Ruger, send it in to Ruger and and just say hit is having issues firing with the safety on, and ask how much to refinish it.......they will most likely inspect and clean and refinish it at no charge, or a very small fee. I had a rough Single Six that I got when my father in law passed away. It was in need of a new finish and upgrade to the newer safety. I mentioned to contact me about refinishing and before I knew it, it arrived back, refinished, new grips ( old were cracked) all in a brand new box with instruction book......
Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:05 PM   #27651
Rustynuts
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00SS View Post
I had a Firestar in .45 in Starvel (nickel) that was a great small gun but heavy. I gave it to my son and he got rid of it for a 9mm Ruger.
Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:33 PM   #27652
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,137
Anyone want to talk me out of....

So, for a very long time I've rather coveted a Browning Hi-Power, 9mm.

I'm not going to carry it, going to use it at the range mainly, feeding it el-cheapo ammo, just because sometimes it's fun to shoot something bigger than a .22, of which I have both a wheel-gun and a Ruger Mark I.

I want a 9 because it's the lowest cost per round.

If I need a concealed carry, I can use my Detective special in .38 special.

Is there a better choice for the same [around a grand new] or less, that I aught to consider? I'm looking at the military hammer and adjustable rear sight.

Let it be said that my strong preference is an all metal gun.

I'm not planning on a lot of customizing.

This aught to be interesting.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:34 PM   #27653
Juanjo_NY
Made in Argentina

Oddometer: 3,964

Old 12-04-2012, 07:57 PM   #27654
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,137
Those are two very nice looking rifles. I'm not sure what you were trying for, smallest and largest bores? - for looking alike they probably don't shoot much alike. Pity the guy who grabs the big one by mistake and is not ready for it...

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:10 PM   #27655
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
Those are two very nice looking rifles. I'm not sure what you were trying for, smallest and largest bores? - for looking alike they probably don't shoot much alike. Pity the guy who grabs the big one by mistake and is not ready for it...

The loading would give it away, how much lighter is the 45-70? I would imagine there is alot less steel in the barrel on the 45-70.

I have an H&R .410 single shot - only its from just before they started making the shotguns swappable barrelled.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:17 PM   #27656
Juanjo_NY
Made in Argentina

Oddometer: 3,964
evil idea.. let someone shot few rounds with the 17hmr and w/o notice change it for the 45-70! Just thinking about it make me lough! BAD IDEA!

both scoped:
17hmr 8.8lbs
45-70 7.10lbs
Old 12-04-2012, 08:29 PM   #27657
milq
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 664
Quote:

Is there a better choice for the same [around a grand new] or less, that I aught to consider? I'm looking at the military hammer and adjustable rear sight.

I'd say get what you want. A Hi-Power is on my want list, just because.

A potential option for you is the CZ SP01, I have a factory model and love it. Trigger could be a little better but I'll correct that some day. I sold my Sig P226 and bought this 2 years ago and don't miss the Sig, other than the CZ is heavier.

For under a grand you can get a fairly well massaged one called the Shadow (trigger job, no firing pin block and better sights) from CZ Customs. If I had it to do over, I'd save up a bit more and get that package, it's basically what mine will end up like anyway.

Aside from my love affair with the 1911 platform the CZ is my favorite handgun to shoot and frankly it fits my hands better than a 1911.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:35 PM   #27658
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,442
Safety Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaklr View Post
Ok. Gotta gun, Now what?

The way you say that makes it sound like it is your first one. Congratulations!
You can find a zillion rules about safety, if you remember Cooper's rule you and your friends should live to be old.

"Never let the muzzle cover anything that you are not willing to see destroyed"

It sounds simple but even if you are familiar with long arms, handguns require more care and concentration. There are more rules and you should learn them but if you only remember that one, no one will be hurt.

Beyond that, buy all the ammo that you can afford and go practice. Don't spend extra $$$ on more powerful +P stuff for practice, learn to hit single action, move on to double action when you get some confidence. Let speed increase only as fast as you can still hit your target, safely. You can never miss fast enough to get a good score or as Wyatt Earp put it "Speed is fine but accuaracy is final"

Remember to have fun!

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:06 PM   #27659
Squidward
At home in my jammies

Oddometer: 1,826
Quote:

I'm not going to carry it, going to use it at the range mainly, feeding it el-cheapo ammo, just because sometimes it's fun to shoot something bigger than a .22, of which I have both a wheel-gun and a Ruger Mark I.

I want a 9 because it's the lowest cost per round.

If I need a concealed carry, I can use my Detective special in .38 special.

I'm not planning on a lot of customizing.

I just purchased a High Power. It fit my hand better than anything I've recently held. Maybe an impulse buy, but I 'needed it'.... 4 days left until pick up. I also saw one with a tangent sight. If I like this first one, I may have to get another...
Old 12-04-2012, 11:10 PM   #27660
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
I just purchased a High Power. It fit my hand better than anything...
They all do that. Enjoy your pistol. :)
tslewisz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: