Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 849 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 12-21-2012, 08:43 AM   #27856
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhare1313 View Post

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I've built two of these recently, I'm trying to get more lowers but everyone is sold out.

Glad I built them when I did.
How many rounds in that mag? Do you target shoot with it? Seems unfair to go after some critter with it. Cool looking gun though.
Lyle
skysailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:07 AM   #27857
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,687
Cool....up to the wife if she wants to go or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
I've been thinking about going, too. I'll watch for you.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:07 AM   #27858
Otis the Sasquatch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
There is a gun show here in town this weekend.......
If you enjoy stirring the pot, try playing my "Gun Show Game".
Walk in with something interesting or rare on your shoulder. Watch the Dealers (the ones watching the entrance) scramble to be the first to try to buy it off you for the lowest price. Lots of fun!

I invented this game by accident, when I walked into a small local gun show with the 1863 Springfield I later posted up here. Not selling, just looking for a reproduction rear sight and some info. THREE dealers stopped me before I got 10 feet ("Are you here to sell that?). One of them got up from his chair so fast he tripped over it and almost knocked his table over.

Don't get me wrong, most of the dealers are good guys, just doing a little buying and selling to support their habits. But I did enjoy messing w/ the Vultures in the room. ("Well, gee, I just found this in the back of Grandpa's closet..." "I don't know ANYTHING about guns. How much do you think it's worth?")

All you'll need to play this weekend is an AR/AK/etc, and it'll probably take you half an hour just to get in from the parking lot.

I'll be going to the RK show in St. Charles MO the weekend after Christmas, but just to pick up some .32 S&W ammunition for my Hopkins & Allen. And no, I didn't/won't shoot up the "$3.95" box.

And P.S.
I got better info on the Springfield here than I did at the gun show. Thank you all, again.

Fact is, I like roads. I like to move.
Harry Truman
Otis the Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:02 AM   #27859
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,687
I am ashamed to admit I have thought of that....but bad back and all I did not want to tote the thing all over the place.....That is why I bring my wife.

When I did buy my Type 98 Arasaka it was very intresting. I guess it was about a year or so ago one of my friends in the reenacting world told me that a guy with a TON of Japanese stuff was going to be at the next show....I was there with when the doors opened ran straight to his table and bought an all numbers matching (even the cover) with original sling and bayonette right off the bat. It was up to my poor wife to lug that huge thing around the show....rifle with the bayonette on is bigger than her. It was pretty funny to see all the people looking at it/wanting to buy it....offering more than I paid 30min earlier....I had been looking for a very specific rifle for years, mum intact, all the swiss army stuff they hung on that rifle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis the Sasquatch View Post
If you enjoy stirring the pot, try playing my "Gun Show Game".
Walk in with something interesting or rare on your shoulder. Watch the Dealers (the ones watching the entrance) scramble to be the first to try to buy it off you for the lowest price. Lots of fun!

I invented this game by accident, when I walked into a small local gun show with the 1863 Springfield I later posted up here. Not selling, just looking for a reproduction rear sight and some info. THREE dealers stopped me before I got 10 feet ("Are you here to sell that?). One of them got up from his chair so fast he tripped over it and almost knocked his table over.

Don't get me wrong, most of the dealers are good guys, just doing a little buying and selling to support their habits. But I did enjoy messing w/ the Vultures in the room. ("Well, gee, I just found this in the back of Grandpa's closet..." "I don't know ANYTHING about guns. How much do you think it's worth?")

All you'll need to play this weekend is an AR/AK/etc, and it'll probably take you half an hour just to get in from the parking lot.

I'll be going to the RK show in St. Charles MO the weekend after Christmas, but just to pick up some .32 S&W ammunition for my Hopkins & Allen. And no, I didn't/won't shoot up the "$3.95" box.

And P.S.
I got better info on the Springfield here than I did at the gun show. Thank you all, again.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:56 PM   #27860
Otis the Sasquatch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,090
Here's my Arisaka. Sorry, no other pics in the computer yet.

It's just a Wall Hanger. The chrysanthemum has been ground off, so it's a "surrendered" not "captured" rifle. No rust, barrel looks good. And it looks like it was made close to the end of the war (but the serial # is 348???), because although it does not have all the characteristics of a "last ditch" rifle, the trigger guard/floor plate is very rough sand cast. AND someone, probably spooked by it's looks, snipped off the end of the firing pin. Looks like they used a pair of side cutters to do it. Never tried to get another pin for it, just hung it up.
It has a wonderful patina. Looks like it was carried through the jungle for a long time, whether it was or not.
Paid $20 for it in 1980.

Fact is, I like roads. I like to move.
Harry Truman
Otis the Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:36 PM   #27861
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis the Sasquatch View Post
I'll be going to the RK show in St. Charles MO the weekend after Christmas
My brother and I will probably see you there.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:40 PM   #27862
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,373
Does anyone know of any good gun shows in or near CT? There is one in Wallingford in early January, but I am expecting it to suck.
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:36 PM   #27863
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanCT View Post
Does anyone know of any good gun shows in or near CT? There is one in Wallingford in early January, but I am expecting it to suck.
I doubt you'll find one that isn't going to such for a while. Last one around here had 400 people lined up outside the door waiting to get in at $7 a person.
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:17 PM   #27864
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,841
Quote:
There have been shows at the Eastern States Exposition in W. Springfield, MA that I have attended. I thought they were good. It's the only place I've ever been to one so I have nothing to compare it with.

http://users.erols.com/fasttrack/loc...PRINGFIELD.htm

They just cancelled the one in Danbury, CT that was scheduled for Jan 4th I believe.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:08 PM   #27865
Trixie
No, not that Trixie

Oddometer: 3,484
Quote:
http://www.americangunshows1.com/Gun...T-GunShows.htm

Danbury, AFAIK, is cancelled, out of common sense and self-perservation reasons.

You can also check these guys out: http://www.northeastgunshows.com/

Not sure if Stamford is still on, but Marlboro MA still is.

Trixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:59 PM   #27866
Boondoggle
Gear Grinder

Oddometer: 14,542
Hell Yeah

Some of you might remember that I have just enough property to have a little 20-ish yard pistol range in a ravine at the bottom of the field.

So, anyway I have a neighbor who once called the sheriff on some of us who were shooting on the next property over, and was super pissed to find that 1) it is legal, and 2) one of the shooters in our group is a deputy

Neighbor is a good guy otherwise, just never lived in the country before. So two weeks ago I invite him to some down and shoot with me. To my surprise, he accepted. He had never even touched a handgun before today.

I think that silly son of a bitch is on his way to the gun store now. I haven't seen anybody grin like that in years. When we did the ".357 mag into the gallon jug of water" thing, I thought he was gonna piss himself laughing.

We went through about 300 rounds of .22 through the p22, 150 rounds of 9mm through the Bersa and the LC9, and 100 rounds of .38spl and a couple dozen rounds of .357 through the GP100. Paper targets, beer cans, a couple of frying pans hanging from a branch, a spinner, and a couple of knockdowns. Plus a few jugs of water, of course. Pa-tink, pa-tink, pa-tink for about two friggin hours.

I tell you, if you really want to remind yourself how much fun shooting is, go find someone who doesn't shoot and take them along. His exact words were "I will never play golf again. This pushes all the same buttons but better." What a gas, I am really glad I took the time to do that with him.

edit: I just realized I could be an ever better host if I had more guns
I've been poking a giant bouncy ball with a needle. You feel anything yet? -Blake716
Boondoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:20 PM   #27867
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,163
Good on ya. Wish more people would do that.
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:30 PM   #27868
Boondoggle
Gear Grinder

Oddometer: 14,542
I am still not happy with how I shoot the LC9. But it's getting there.

I am going to pick up an LCR in .357 when things cool back down a little, if I'm measurably better with that I might trade the 9 in toward an LCR in .22. Figure that gives me a way to practice my carry gun cheaply. Plus my net number of guns goes up by 1
I've been poking a giant bouncy ball with a needle. You feel anything yet? -Blake716
Boondoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:38 PM   #27869
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,761
Well, I ran about 65 rounds thru the Hi Power today, first time shooting it.

I did a break in of shooting one round, the cleaning and drying the bore, then another round - did that 10 times as one website suggested.

I bought a box of 100 of the 'bulk' Winchester 115 gr FMJ's, and I was impressed - right out of the box not a single mis-load - they feed just fine. I have four other brands to test over time.

Now, if only the shooter was as reliable. I can see that I'm going to need considerable range time and at least several hundred rounds to get accurate at 25 yards. I also need to tweak the sights but when your as inconsistant as I was, well, it's hard to be sure if it's the shooter or the sights at the moment.

I love the feel of the pistol though, it feels really smooth in everything except the trigger release - which I understand is notoriously hard - I'm sure I'll adjust to it quickly - it's got a fairly long intial take up, then a good squeeze is needed to fire it - I guess you can get that adjusted by a good gunsmith. Nice feel in the hand and the modest power of the cartridge makes it painless to shoot, one of my goals.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:08 PM   #27870
VegasKLRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
it's got a fairly long intial take up, then a good squeeze is needed to fire it - I guess you can get that adjusted by a good gunsmith. Nice feel in the hand and the modest power of the cartridge makes it painless to shoot, one of my goals.

Before taking it to the gunsmith, practice dry firing 2 or 3 times per day, no more than 20 pulls per session- for a couple of months. This will do 2 things: first it will smooth and burnish the mating surfaces, which will smooth out the trigger pull and second it will strengthen your trigger finger. When you are pulling the trigger, focus on the sights and try to get to a point where the sights don't move at all throughout the trigger pull.

The side benefit is that the gunsmith (if s/he is still needed at all) will have some diagnostic wear patterns to help guide their efforts.

WWJWD?

What Would John Wayne Do?

Southwest Riders visit www.my2wheels.com.
VegasKLRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: