Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 850 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 12-22-2012, 03:12 PM   #27871
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
Well, I ran about 65 rounds thru the Hi Power today, first time shooting it.

I did a break in of shooting one round, the cleaning and drying the bore, then another round - did that 10 times as one website suggested.
Educate me. Is this "normal"? Never heard of this before. What does this accomplish? In theory? In practice? Sounds to me kind of like using Campy derailers over Dura Ace to save 5 grams of weight, when the rider is 30 pounds over weight?
I can see an olympic bull's competitor may have a few rituals, but.....really?

I "broke in" my new 1911 by seeing how fast I could go through a box of 50! LOL!!
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:30 PM   #27872
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 5,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
Well, I ran about 65 rounds thru the Hi Power today, first time shooting it.

I did a break in of shooting one round, the cleaning and drying the bore, then another round - did that 10 times as one website suggested.

I bought a box of 100 of the 'bulk' Winchester 115 gr FMJ's, and I was impressed - right out of the box not a single mis-load - they feed just fine. I have four other brands to test over time.

Now, if only the shooter was as reliable. I can see that I'm going to need considerable range time and at least several hundred rounds to get accurate at 25 yards. I also need to tweak the sights but when your as inconsistant as I was, well, it's hard to be sure if it's the shooter or the sights at the moment.

I love the feel of the pistol though, it feels really smooth in everything except the trigger release - which I understand is notoriously hard - I'm sure I'll adjust to it quickly - it's got a fairly long intial take up, then a good squeeze is needed to fire it - I guess you can get that adjusted by a good gunsmith. Nice feel in the hand and the modest power of the cartridge makes it painless to shoot, one of my goals.
Half of that trigger pull is caused by the magazine safety that keeps the gun from firing with the mag out. It can be removed.
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:32 PM   #27873
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 5,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
Half of that trigger pull is caused by the magazine safety that keeps the gun from firing with the mag out. It can be removed.
Yes, that is the first thing that needs to be done to a Hi-Power. Save the parts because if the gun is ever transferred it won't be legal unless the mag safety is installed. If the parts are lost they are easy to reorder.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:45 PM   #27874
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_ricketts View Post
Yes, that is the first thing that needs to be done to a Hi-Power. Save the parts because if the gun is ever transferred it won't be legal unless the mag safety is installed. If the parts are lost they are easy to reorder.
Legal for what? There's no law against removing a magazine safety anywhere I know of. The only reason it was designed that way was because the military customers required it. 1911s have never had one.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:24 PM   #27875
GoGo Gadget
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,270
Quote:
Legal for what? There's no law against removing a magazine safety anywhere I know of. The only reason it was designed that way was because the military customers required it. 1911s have never had one.

Maybe depends on state law?

I have been told I have the body of a God. What does this Buddha guy look like?
GoGo Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:33 PM   #27876
Trixie
No, not that Trixie

Oddometer: 3,484
Here in draconian MA, it is one of the required features for newly mfg'd guns, but there is nothing prohibiting post sale modification. I can't think of any other state (NJ? NY? ) that have similar laws in place for safety features.

Trixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:34 PM   #27877
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGo Gadget View Post
Maybe depends on state law?
Only state I know that gets specific about short guns is CA.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:52 PM   #27878
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Educate me. Is this "normal"? Never heard of this before. What does this accomplish? In theory? In practice? Sounds to me kind of like using Campy derailers over Dura Ace to save 5 grams of weight, when the rider is 30 pounds over weight?
I can see an olympic bull's competitor may have a few rituals, but.....really?

I "broke in" my new 1911 by seeing how fast I could go through a box of 50! LOL!!
Looked up breaking in a new pistol on the web and this was one procedure that seemed to make some sense - and since it was not exactly a real burden to do, I thought I only get to do it once - This is the first new one I've ever bought, all the rest were used when I got them.

I suppose if I were asked to explain it, would be a nice clean bore with a few passes to improve the inital wear? I dunno. Like I said, no biggie either way.

I'm sure this procedure does nothing for the remainder of the mechanism which I expect to break in using a more conventional method - firing it a few hundred times.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:21 PM   #27879
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,767
Quote:
Found a webpage with the instructions - that's a bit more than I'm comfortable with, but I'm sure I can find someone to do this for me.

I wonder if polishing the magazine slide spot would improve it in the interim.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:48 PM   #27880
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 5,139
Quote:
It is not a law but an FFL may refuse to trade for it or transfer it without the mag safety. I was going to trade my Hi-Power for .45 auto in Florida and the gun shop said they couldn't take it because of the lack of the mag safety and that it was required for FFL transfers. Part of a gun shops inspection it seems to verify that the weapon is 'safe'.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:42 PM   #27881
Rustynuts
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
How many rounds in that mag? Do you target shoot with it? Seems unfair to go after some critter with it. Cool looking gun though.
Lyle
That is just a 30 round Pmag.
Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:42 PM   #27882
Hedge36
Chasing parts.

Oddometer: 44,528
Woohoo! New LCR .38 Sp +P
Old 12-22-2012, 11:56 PM   #27883
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_ricketts View Post
It is not a law but an FFL may refuse to trade for it or transfer it without the mag safety. I was going to trade my Hi-Power for .45 auto in Florida and the gun shop said they couldn't take it because of the lack of the mag safety and that it was required for FFL transfers. Part of a gun shops inspection it seems to verify that the weapon is 'safe'.
They may require it as part of their policy - maybe for liability reasons, but there sure isn't any federal law with regards to that feature.

Given that a pinning or removing the mag safety is one of the first things a high end combat mod shop will do (for various reasons), I would think that would be something a gun shop would understand, but there you go.

Personally I think most safeties are superfulous and some even cause problems in various scenarios (if you are grappling with an assailant and the assailant manages to hit the mag drop button, with a mag safety they have just disarmed you), I certainly don't think a firearm with a disabled or removed mag safety is a liability.

YMMV.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:29 AM   #27884
grizzzly
The Pre-Banned Version

Oddometer: 3,270
If I buy a gun from a gun dealer is it registered to me. Or are they just doing a background check/ waiting period.
How do I sell that gun?
How do I transfer registration?

Last time I bought a gun from a dealer was about 15 years ago

grizzzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:29 AM   #27885
Boondoggle
Gear Grinder

Oddometer: 14,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedge36 View Post
Woohoo! New LCR .38 Sp +P

as above, that's my next purchase. What a sweet trigger, dont forget to report back after you've put some rounds through it.
I've been poking a giant bouncy ball with a needle. You feel anything yet? -Blake716
Boondoggle is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: