ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 483 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 05:54 PM   #28366
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.
 
fyrfytr's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Jersey, the New one.
Oddometer: 2,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast1320 View Post
I know what the chart says but there are a lot of things involved. I do know if I have a chance to shoot my .270 or .308- The .308 gets the nod EVERY time. The 30-06 class rounds have a substantial whomp and I've shot thousands of .308.
Never shot .270, but I'll pick .308 from a bolt gun over .30-06 in a bolt gun every time. The '06 is about as enjoyable as 3" magnum shotgun shells to me.
__________________
He who makes a beast out of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man.
A7X
fyrfytr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:59 PM   #28367
Dooga
Adventure Tourer
 
Dooga's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Arlington, VA
Oddometer: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays-f800gs View Post
That's the plan, not planning on concealed carry at this point.
There are quite a few legal advantages to having your concealed carry permit even of you don't plan on carrying. For example, you can keep your range bag in your car instead of the trunk of you have your CCW. Weird loopholes are out there in gun laws and the CCW closes quite a surprising few of them.
__________________
1995 BMW K1100LT
Dooga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:04 PM   #28368
Jays-f800gs
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Spokane, WA
Oddometer: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooga View Post
There are quite a few legal advantages to having your concealed carry permit even of you don't plan on carrying. For example, you can keep your range bag in your car instead of the trunk of you have your CCW. Weird loopholes are out there in gun laws and the CCW closes quite a surprising few of them.
Good info to know, I'm all new too this so all info is appreciated.
Jays-f800gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:12 PM   #28369
ShadyRascal
Master of None
 
ShadyRascal's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: the Root, Western Montana
Oddometer: 5,952
Wandered into the local gun store on Friday, and they had just put an M&P Shield in their display case. I'd been looking for one for a while, and they are seemingly backordered everywhere forever, even Cabela's and other big places laugh when you ask them.

But here it was, and I shelled out $395 and took the little darlin' home. Shot it this morning, the target on the table is my first go at 20 yards. I like this gun!

__________________
Originally Posted by Javarilla

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.


Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:51 PM   #28370
tkitna
Beastly Adventurer
 
tkitna's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: West Virginia
Oddometer: 4,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyRascal View Post
Wandered into the local gun store on Friday, and they had just put an M&P Shield in their display case. I'd been looking for one for a while, and they are seemingly backordered everywhere forever, even Cabela's and other big places laugh when you ask them.

But here it was, and I shelled out $395 and took the little darlin' home. Shot it this morning, the target on the table is my first go at 20 yards. I like this gun!

Is it the 9mm or the .40? I've been looking at them online for awhile too. Nice looking gun. I've fed about 200 rounds through my Sig P238 and i'd be lying if I said I wasnt concerned with the misfires once in awhile. I'm going to run some more ammo through it and if it persists, i'll try another magazine. Anyways, I wouldnt trust my life with it yet and that bums me out with a $600+ gun.. I'd love a Shield in the 9mm though.
__________________
Donovan: If he (Paul McCartney) fell on the piano, by the time he picked himself up he would have written three songs.

2008 DL650
2013 Goldwing
tkitna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:20 PM   #28371
Powers77
2009 GSA
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Vegas Baby
Oddometer: 156
Something is wrong with the P 238. I have shot mine a lot and not had one misfire. Never seen it listed as an issue before. My glock 23 on the other hand has started failing to extract. Trying to sort that out.
Powers77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:27 PM   #28372
tkitna
Beastly Adventurer
 
tkitna's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: West Virginia
Oddometer: 4,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powers77 View Post
Something is wrong with the P 238. I have shot mine a lot and not had one misfire. Never seen it listed as an issue before. My glock 23 on the other hand has started failing to extract. Trying to sort that out.
I've read that some have come with bad magazines. That was supposed to be with the earliest models though and I just bought mine late last year. I dont know. Every now and then it just misfires and I have to manually eject the shell. Doesnt matter what ammo i'm using. I usually use Winchester .380's, but do use various brands also. I'm going to really start working it out when the weather breaks. If it keeps happening, i'll trade it in.
__________________
Donovan: If he (Paul McCartney) fell on the piano, by the time he picked himself up he would have written three songs.

2008 DL650
2013 Goldwing
tkitna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:55 PM   #28373
ShadyRascal
Master of None
 
ShadyRascal's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: the Root, Western Montana
Oddometer: 5,952
My Shield is a 9. Probably would have still bought if it were a 40. I reload so can tailor to my liking. I shot maybe 30 rounds without error. Comfortable to shoot with 147 grain hollow point over 4.0 grains of Universal Clays.
__________________
Originally Posted by Javarilla

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.


Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:21 PM   #28374
Dooga
Adventure Tourer
 
Dooga's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Arlington, VA
Oddometer: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyRascal View Post
I shelled out $395 and took the little darlin' [an M&P Shield] home.
Wow, is the M&P really $100 less than a Glock? I never even considered that the Shield would be less expensive. Is that normal?
__________________
1995 BMW K1100LT
Dooga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:46 PM   #28375
ShadyRascal
Master of None
 
ShadyRascal's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: the Root, Western Montana
Oddometer: 5,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooga View Post
Wow, is the M&P really $100 less than a Glock? I never even considered that the Shield would be less expensive. Is that normal?
$400-ish is the regular street price on the Shield. However they have been in short supply since introduced last April or so, and many places charge a premium, I've heard of mid-$500's prices.
__________________
Originally Posted by Javarilla

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.


Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:05 PM   #28376
Powers77
2009 GSA
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Vegas Baby
Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkitna View Post
I've read that some have come with bad magazines. That was supposed to be with the earliest models though and I just bought mine late last year. I dont know. Every now and then it just misfires and I have to manually eject the shell. Doesnt matter what ammo i'm using. I usually use Winchester .380's, but do use various brands also. I'm going to really start working it out when the weather breaks. If it keeps happening, i'll trade it in.
Have you verified that it is assembled correctlly? I found some good YouTubes showing breakdown for cleaning etc... I know without a visual I would likely botch reassembly. The spring backwards or something like that could cause a problem. Otherwise I'd contact Sig, they are supposed to be pretty good on CS.
Powers77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:09 PM   #28377
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last
 
Manuel Garcia O'Kely's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Central Colorado Rockies
Oddometer: 12,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast1320 View Post
I know what the chart says but there are a lot of things involved. I do know if I have a chance to shoot my .270 or .308- The .308 gets the nod EVERY time. The 30-06 class rounds have a substantial whomp and I've shot thousands of .308.
Hm, I looked at that chart and find it interesting.

Well, I guess I'll try to borrow a .308 before I order one.

My .270 is a weathby mag - it's a .300 H&H mag necked down. It's much, much harder kicking than the '06. I might use it to hunt with, but otherwise - no range time for it.

To be honest, it may have been my position, etc. It's been a long time since I shot it - maybe 15 years?

I like my 30-30, does not hurt, but it's not much fun as a mortar, I'd rather have something that shoots a bit flatter, plus I don't really want a scope on my lever gun.

I would not mind .223 except you can't buy anything to shoot in it - a bolt action .223 would be a mild shooter.

BTW, both of these guns are vintage 1960's in excellent condition, there's no way I'm fitting 'em with anything as crass as a muzzle brake...
__________________
Never ascribe to Evil that which is more resonably explained by Ignorance and Stupidity

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:40 PM   #28378
acesandeights
Asperger
 
acesandeights's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: So. Oregon
Oddometer: 3,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooga View Post
There are quite a few legal advantages to having your concealed carry permit even of you don't plan on carrying. For example, you can keep your range bag in your car instead of the trunk of you have your CCW. Weird loopholes are out there in gun laws and the CCW closes quite a surprising few of them.
In my state having your CCW opens a number of areas to carry. In Oregon, if you have a CCW you can carry in most public places; whereas you cannot otherwise.
__________________
http://breakingbooks.wordpress.com
http://www.kenmarshallmetalworks.com/
I may not be Rainman, but I'm not stupid eighter. Like Bartek on a taco.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:04 PM   #28379
tkitna
Beastly Adventurer
 
tkitna's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: West Virginia
Oddometer: 4,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powers77 View Post
Have you verified that it is assembled correctlly? I found some good YouTubes showing breakdown for cleaning etc... I know without a visual I would likely botch reassembly. The spring backwards or something like that could cause a problem. Otherwise I'd contact Sig, they are supposed to be pretty good on CS.
Yeah, i've read about the breakdowns and assemblies and watched youtube videos. Everything seems fine. I dont know. It doesnt happen a bunch (maybe 4 times in the 200 rounds shot through it). I'll pay more attention to it soon.
__________________
Donovan: If he (Paul McCartney) fell on the piano, by the time he picked himself up he would have written three songs.

2008 DL650
2013 Goldwing
tkitna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:08 AM   #28380
urbancowboy
Vicious Cycler
 
urbancowboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Laughing at Jerks in NYC
Oddometer: 1,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powers77 View Post
Something is wrong with the P 238. I have shot mine a lot and not had one misfire. Never seen it listed as an issue before. My glock 23 on the other hand has started failing to extract. Trying to sort that out.
i know this is a pretty informal gun thread, and it's cool that you seem fairly calm about the problem with your glock. however, glock malfunctions aren't/shouldn't be too common. can you give us some more info so other owners/prospective owners can understand what you are dealing with?

age of magazine?
same problem with different magazines?
age of gun?
ammo you are experiencing problem with/other ammo you have tried?
any modifications to gun?
__________________
bmw makes motorcycles now?
smugmug link: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=fMX8CMi5nSlps will save you $5 at the best photo hosting site on the internets. you can almost buy a beer in nyc with that. your welcome.
[/B]
urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014