Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 443 votes, 4.93 average. Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 03:33 PM   #28546
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by allonsye View Post
Out of stock everywhere and of course presently exorbertenly priced. Should I simply give up on the notion of owning one of these for the indefinite future; for that matter, ever?

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:24 PM   #28547
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 13,904
I decided to go with the Hi Point 955ts, OTD for $300 even with tax and a fun firearm. Yeah, it's not collapsable but it's still 9mm and a fun gun.

With the nice weather I decided to pull out the M44 and fire off some rounds at 100+ yards. I couldn't help but think about the recent gun law in New York and the desires of antis to ban certain weapons. It all makes no sense to an experienced shooter and responsible owner. Why can't they see that banning guns for features or the way they look is like banning cars because they are crashed more often and have distracting features in them or bright colors? Oh well, if you don't enjoy my musings I hope you enjoy the firing of an old favorite. :egrin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX0F-wzXPWA
Old 02-07-2013, 04:38 PM   #28548
allonsye
("lets go!")

Oddometer: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
I decided to go with the Hi Point 955ts, OTD for $300 even with tax and a fun firearm. Yeah, it's not collapsable but it's still 9mm and a fun gun.

With the nice weather I decided to pull out the M44 and fire off some rounds at 100+ yards. I couldn't help but think about the recent gun law in New York and the desires of antis to ban certain weapons. It all makes no sense to an experienced shooter and responsible owner. Why can't they see that banning guns for features or the way they look is like banning cars because they are crashed more often and have distracting features in them or bright colors? Oh well, if you don't enjoy my musings I hope you enjoy the firing of an old favorite. :egrin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX0F-wzXPWA
I considered this one but the Sub K is 2 lbs lighter. Also, the fact that it folds means I could tote it in my side case (with concealed permit of course).

Lot of folks dising these pistol chambered carbines but what with the rising cost of ammo, I think its the way to go. Besides, I don't have need to shoot targets beyond 150 yrds nor am I hunting.

Those of you that have the guns you want be grateful. The market is totally absurd right now.
06' 650 Vstrom
allonsye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:45 PM   #28549
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer: 903
Thank you Mr Brownell
Although I'm not sure my mag holder is mill spec.. Probably going to have to make another order..

Gas Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:57 PM   #28550
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Hog View Post
Thank you Mr Brownell
Although I'm not sure my mag holder is mill spec.. Probably going to have to make another order..

You can hang it on the side of the receiver to catch the brass.
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:50 PM   #28551
xshanex
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by allonsye View Post

Lot of folks dising these pistol chambered carbines but what with the rising cost of ammo, I think its the way to go. Besides, I don't have need to shoot targets beyond 150 yrds nor am I hunting.

I've been shooting rifles more because the pistol ammo is so expensive
xshanex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:41 PM   #28552
Otis the Sasquatch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,031
P.O.S. Alert!
Since I can't find the "I Hate This Gun!" thread.
Just a quick heads up. Watch out for the M-1 Carbine variant made by the now-defunct (for good reason) Universal Firearms, especially the "later" ones.

I bought one back in 2001 off a co-worker's Mother after the death of his Father. My fault; she and he knew nothing about guns, and I did no research first. Think I paid $225.

He said it had never been shot, and it looked like it hadn't. Well, 2 weeks later after the 5th round through it....

Pardon the dust. I got pissed off and threw it in the back of the closet, where it's sat ever since. Finally bought a $6 sleeve to store it in. And to add insult to injury, almost NONE of the parts work w/ ANY other M-1!
http://www.maxicon.com/guns/universa...production.htm

Oh well, I've got two 20-round mags and two bandoliers of Korean-made ammunition (at a 2001 price), and a few other usable parts. Someday I'll get a REAL M-1.

Otis

Fact is, I like roads. I like to move.
Harry Truman
Otis the Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:15 AM   #28553
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,029
In doing a M-1 Carbine get a GI....everything else is.....well....just not that good.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:34 AM   #28554
andy29847
Dirt Road Rider

Oddometer: 2,013
New Gun

It was delevered just an hour ago, but I already love it - From the CMP, M1 Garand, Springfield Armory, Service Grade

ABC#8350
IBA#7647,
Trenton, SC
Smugmug coupon code = bQItjZEfrqLkI
MOAB Ride Report
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:29 PM   #28555
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer: 903
Well done Andy!
So much history and just so cool.
Gary
Gas Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:46 PM   #28556
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,610
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Hog View Post
Well done Andy!
So much history and just so cool.
Gary

Thought I had a picture of mine around here, somewhere...
Nice Garand!
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:16 PM   #28557
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 4,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis the Sasquatch View Post
P.O.S. Alert!
Since I can't find the "I Hate This Gun!" thread.
Just a quick heads up. Watch out for the M-1 Carbine variant made by the now-defunct (for good reason) Universal Firearms, especially the "later" ones.

I bought one back in 2001 off a co-worker's Mother after the death of his Father. My fault; she and he knew nothing about guns, and I did no research first. Think I paid $225.

He said it had never been shot, and it looked like it hadn't. Well, 2 weeks later after the 5th round through it....

Pardon the dust. I got pissed off and threw it in the back of the closet, where it's sat ever since. Finally bought a $6 sleeve to store it in. And to add insult to injury, almost NONE of the parts work w/ ANY other M-1!
http://www.maxicon.com/guns/universa...production.htm

Oh well, I've got two 20-round mags and two bandoliers of Korean-made ammunition (at a 2001 price), and a few other usable parts. Someday I'll get a REAL M-1.

Otis
You are exactly right about the Universal Carbine later models. I have one of the very early ones and love it. With the microgroove barrel it shoots super accurately and I have run 1000s of handloads, including cast bullets through it with no problems. There web sites you listed explains what Universal starting doing to the action rods, etc. to make them fail catastrophically.

doc_ricketts screwed with this post 02-08-2013 at 07:23 PM
doc_ricketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:22 PM   #28558
tkitna
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,310
This ammo shortage is starting to piss me off. I didnt know how bad it was until a few days ago. Wife and I went to Cabela's because I wanted to buy some 110GR or 148GR WC's for her .38 revolver. None. Ok, i'll just pick up some 90GR 380 Fiocchi's since they have a rounded head and I wanted to try them in the Sig since I think the flat headed ammo is getting stuck on the feed ramp and causing the jamming issue. None. Ok, screw it, i'll go home and order it online. None. Out of stock everywhere. I'm beginning to wonder if it will ever get back to normal.

If there was any positive to the trip though, is that I got to check out the Springfield XDS .45 a little. I would love to shoot it as i'm looking for a compact .45 now that I dont trust the Sig P238. Eh, i'll do some more homework.

2008 DL650
2013 Goldwing
tkitna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:51 PM   #28559
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkitna View Post
This ammo shortage is starting to piss me off. I didnt know how bad it was until a few days ago. Wife and I went to Cabela's because I wanted to buy some 110GR or 148GR WC's for her .38 revolver. None. Ok, i'll just pick up some 90GR 380 Fiocchi's since they have a rounded head and I wanted to try them in the Sig since I think the flat headed ammo is getting stuck on the feed ramp and causing the jamming issue. None. Ok, screw it, i'll go home and order it online. None. Out of stock everywhere. I'm beginning to wonder if it will ever get back to normal.

If there was any positive to the trip though, is that I got to check out the Springfield XDS .45 a little. I would love to shoot it as i'm looking for a compact .45 now that I dont trust the Sig P238. Eh, i'll do some more homework.
Really sucks big time. I was on Cabela's today. No 9 MM Luger, no .308 except top tier hunting loads. No .22 at all - they don't even have listing for them anymore! Not even backorder options.

It's just beyond stupid, since no one has called to restrict ammo sales. This is just panic stupidity driving up the price for the respectible shooters.

Ugh. What a lousy time to rekindle my love for shooting.

One has to wonder if the supply of ammo is being artifically controlled now.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:31 AM   #28560
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,426
The I LOVE THIS GUN Thread

I had a business trip last week that took me from NC to PA and back. I decided to check every Wally World store I saw for .45 ACP, 5.56 & 9mm. None had what I needed. Finally, in Kennett Square, PA, I found two boxes of .45 and grabbed them. Thank goodness they were 250 round boxes. I paid $108 each for them. The last time I purchased 250 round of the same cost $90 and that was about six weeks ago.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: