Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 490 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 08:25 AM   #28606
Fe Man
I am Iron Moran!

Oddometer: 7,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs06 View Post
I just started reloading for .204 Ruger. No one has brass for any kind of reasonable price. In fact it is just as cheap to buy factory loads as it is to get new brass. Small rifle primers are next to impossible to get and powders for published loads are rarely available.

That said, I love the .204 Ruger. No recoil and extremely accurate. I have a Ruger Hawkeye in .204 Ruger. I love this gun!
Good info!
Old 02-14-2013, 12:19 PM   #28607
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs06 View Post
I just started reloading for .204 Ruger. No one has brass for any kind of reasonable price. In fact it is just as cheap to buy factory loads as it is to get new brass. Small rifle primers are next to impossible to get and powders for published loads are rarely available.

That said, I love the .204 Ruger. No recoil and extremely accurate. I have a Ruger Hawkeye in .204 Ruger. I love this gun!

Welcome to my world, I am thanking the stars for Partizan ammo....their stuff is cheaper and reloadable....I almost went to graff then found out that they are making many of the old military calibers....some they still do not do but it is a start.
FPGT72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:45 PM   #28608
Fe Man
I am Iron Moran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe Man View Post
I'm developing a serious hankering for something chambered in .204 Ruger...
What I really want is some sort of an AR with a flat-top .204 upper but as I don't have the Hope Diamond to trade nor the patience of Job to wait, I'll look for something else.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:13 PM   #28609
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,305
What makes .204 ruger so special?

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:18 PM   #28610
Fe Man
I am Iron Moran!

From Wiki':
"The .204 Ruger was intended primarily for varmint rifles, which require bullets with flat trajectories but not much mass or kinetic energy. The .20 was "splitting the difference" between the popular .22 varmint rounds such as the .220 Swift and .22-250 Remington, and the tiny .17 caliber rounds such as the .17 Remington and the .17 HMR. The resulting cartridge provides somewhat higher velocities than any of these, giving a maximum point blank range of more than 270 yards (250 m)."

"Ruger's claim to being the velocity king with the .204 was based on two points. First, other 4000+ ft/s cartridges were wildcats, not commercially produced; the 5mm/35 SMc, for example, can reach 4,800 ft/s (1,500 m/s) using a 30-grain (1.9 g) bullet. Although the SMc cases prove to be almost impossible to form and dies both forming and reloading are extremely expensive to obtain. Second, the ammunition used to achieve the 4200+ ft/s was only available from Hornady using a special powder not available to the general public.[2] Handloaders typically achieve velocities more in the area of 4,050 ft/s (1,230 m/s) using a 32-grain (2.1 g) bullet.[3] Note that handloads using a 40-grain (2.6 g) bullet in other commercial cartridges such as the .220 Swift and .223 WSSM also achieve velocities similar to those of the .204 Ruger. The advantage of the .20 caliber .204 is that it achieves these velocities using less powder, less recoil, less heat, and better air resistance than the heavier cartridges. The 204 Ruger has a maximum range of approximately 500 yards (460 m)."

Aside from that, its a bit unusual and kinda cool!
Old 02-14-2013, 02:19 PM   #28611
Hedge36
Chasing parts.

Oddometer: 43,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
Velocity. As in semi-hyper-velocity
Hedge36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:24 PM   #28612
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
Shoots flat..........like -4 or 5 @ 300yds. I have an Encore Pro-Hunter pistol in .204, kills coyotes and easy to carry in a tractor. And light recoil is nice with a pistol.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:29 AM   #28613
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,718
I have an old Ruger 77 in 220 Swift. I bought it circa 1973 and shot it a lot in the years that followed, still have it although haven't fired it in several years.....too many guns and too little time! But the old 220 Swift came out in, I think, the 1930s. There was a locally famous "government hunter" around here in the '30s who bought one and shot numerous deer and elk with it. He was a good shot, and probably lucky, because he didn't ever have one get away from him. It was, I think, the first 4000+ velocity commercial caliber.

Another somewhat unusual high velocity caliber I'd like to have is the 264 Winchester. I saw one in a new Winchester Model 70 Featherweight the other day and am giving it some thought.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:15 AM   #28614
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 7,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg View Post
Shoots flat..........like -4 or 5 @ 300yds. I have an Encore Pro-Hunter pistol in .204, kills coyotes and easy to carry in a tractor. And light recoil is nice with a pistol.
The new .17 WSM is a far better choice IMO. Check it out.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:04 AM   #28615
Sam Buca
a.k.a. Daniel

Oddometer: 2,891
[QUOTE=FlagRS;20715326]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powers77 View Post

Sounds like you’re on the right track with the magazine rebuilds, especially because new mags are close to impossible to find. I had a similar problem with a new G19 Gen 4 that I purchased about a year ago. I had frequent FTEs and even some double feeds. I know your 23 is older and a different caliber than my 19 but a couple of easy fixes I did that solved my problems may help you.
  • Added grip tape from Talon Grips – I’m a relatively new shooter and my main concern was that my grip was the cause of the failures.
  • Changed to Mil-Comm synthetic grease to lube my slide. I use it very sparingly, just a pin head drop on the slide rails.
  • Changed to higher pressure ammo – started using +P ammo with a heavier weighted bullet.

Since I made these three changes I haven’t had one FTE or FTF and have shot around 2K rounds. Granted myG19 is new and has the new spring, it’s smaller caliber than your 23 and probably failed for different reasons.

Which of these three items do you believe corrected the problem? I have FTE and double-feed issues with a Ruger SR9 (new pistol) and I am at wits' end trying to fix the problem.

Thanks.

Sam Buca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:25 AM   #28616
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,748
Went to the range with a buddy and his new Ruger P95 a few weeks ago. We shot about 100 rounds through it and must have had 10 -15 FTFs and FTEs. He was not a happy camper. fwiw: He chose not to clean and lube before its first outing.

My XDM-40 3.8 has fired 500 rounds without a failure.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:39 AM   #28617
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggziff View Post
The new .17 WSM is a far better choice IMO. Check it out.
Yes. But not a lot of guns and ammo on the market yet. I have a .17HMR but it just doesn't reach out there, the .17WSM should solve that problem.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:07 AM   #28618
FlagRS
Gone to the Dogs

Oddometer: 1,145
[QUOTE=Sam Buca;20731705]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlagRS View Post

Which of these three items do you believe corrected the problem? I have FTE and double-feed issues with a Ruger SR9 (new pistol) and I am at wits' end trying to fix the problem.

Thanks.

I believe it was the grip tape that made the biggest impact for me. My hands are on the small side and the Glock grip isn't very ergonomic. I think getting a better purchase helped noticeably. I use the rubber version from Talon Grips some prefer the granulated (sand paper) version, but most seem to find the rubber ones adequate. I wouldn't discount the others fixes too, although +P ball ammo is non-obtainable.
FlagRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:08 AM   #28619
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Went to the range with a buddy and his new Ruger P95 a few weeks ago. We shot about 100 rounds through it and must have had 10 -15 FTFs and FTEs. He was not a happy camper. fwiw: He chose not to clean and lube before its first outing.

My XDM-40 3.8 has fired 500 rounds without a failure.

Make sure to remind him that the stuff on guns from the factory is not lubricant, its a preservative. There is a difference.,

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:33 AM   #28620
Achtung
Wicked Pisssah Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
[QUOTE=Sam Buca;20731705]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlagRS View Post

Thanks.

I have a SR9 that I've never had a single issue with. I've shot about 1000 rounds and only ever field stripped it. The first time my buddy shot it, it immediately FTE twice with the same mag. I think he was not holding it firmly enough but after that one incident no more problems. Let us know what you find.
Achtung is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: