Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 659 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 05:00 PM   #28636
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Buca View Post
Ok, that is what I will try. Do you think 30W50 is better than 10W40?

Thanks for that idea. Seems there is a big following of good old motor oil provided it is synthetic. Quite a few references by military personnel, even though it is not officially sanctioned.

I think I use 5W-30, but I'll have to check. The cool thing is it goes a long way too.

I initially used hoppes on my 1911, then clp/rem oil. I still use the clp to clean, but I started using the motor oil and it definitely feels slicker.

Same for my nova, it's still teething, but there is quite a difference between lubing with rem oil and with motor oil. I feels super smooth now.

YMMV.

Of course there's advantages and dis advantages. If you shoot often, a good lube is imperative, but if you shoot a certain firearm once every 6 months or so, then a quick wipe down and into the safe. Then maybe an ok lubricant, but better preservative should be used. From the tests I've seen online, some forms of clp preserve bareuntreated steel better than motor oil, but it's not nearly as good at keeping metal-on-metal wear down, etc.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother

EvilGenius screwed with this post 02-15-2013 at 05:06 PM
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:05 PM   #28637
manic mechanic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
A while back I had acquired a TZ-75 that did the same thing. Normal cleaning didn't correct the problem. Then upon further examination I discovered a large powder buildup under the extractor, keeping it from fully engaging the cartridge rim. Used a dental pic and solvent to remove the crud, problem went away.
Rounder #6
MOA Ambassador, Biergarten co-chair
RA WI Regional Rep, rally camping chair
manic mechanic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:08 PM   #28638
FlagRS
Gone to the Dogs

Oddometer: 1,149
Quote:

I had no issues for about 800 rounds since new, then out of the blue it started. Very frustrating. Same ammo, similar conditions, maybe a little colder. All I did was remove the mag safety.

I am shooting this weekend and will concentrate on the grip and provide feedback.
Doesn't sound like your grip if you got off the first 800 without a problem. The mag safetey removal shouldn't matter, but have you tried putting it back in and shooting it? Could the mag safty removal cause striker problems? Maybe the striker or extractor is dirty or gummed up.
FlagRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:25 PM   #28639
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,175
Page Number !!!!!

Note the page number and show us your best !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and worst ???????????????
Callahan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:08 PM   #28640
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
Make sure to remind him that the stuff on guns from the factory is not lubricant, its a preservative. There is a difference.
His son has been brutalizing him for the oversight.

I help.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:08 AM   #28641
Sam Buca
a.k.a. Daniel

Oddometer: 2,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlagRS View Post
Doesn't sound like your grip if you got off the first 800 without a problem. The mag safetey removal shouldn't matter, but have you tried putting it back in and shooting it? Could the mag safty removal cause striker problems? Maybe the striker or extractor is dirty or gummed up.
I removed the striker when I removed the mag safety and it is now very clean. How will a striker issue prevent a cartridge from being extracted properly? A striker issue may cause a misfire due to a lack of force, but surely not extracting, unless half-cocking the striker is stiff and that prevents the slide from moving all the way back. However a new cartridge is picked up and pushed into the semi extracted one. Here is a picture (not my pistol):

The extractor is also clean.

I however do not quite understand how a dirty extractor can cause FTE issues. With a direct blowback action as in an auto pistol, does the cartridge not push the slide back and is the extractor not merely there to keep the cartridge on the face to position it correctly for the ejector to eject the spent cartridge? This is not a gas action rifle where there is a gas piston to push the slide back and extract the spent cartridge. Or am I misunderstanding something here?

Sam Buca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:21 AM   #28642
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,515
The I LOVE THIS GUN Thread

Quote:
I removed the striker when I removed the mag safety and it is now very clean. How will a striker issue prevent a cartridge from being extracted properly? A striker issue may cause a misfire due to a lack of force, but surely not extracting, unless half-cocking the striker is stiff and that prevents the slide from moving all the way back. However a new cartridge is picked up and pushed into the semi extracted one. Here is a picture (not my pistol):

I however do not quite understand how a dirty extractor can cause FTE issues. With a direct blowback action as in an auto pistol, does the cartridge not push the slide back and is the extractor not merely there to keep the cartridge on the face to position it correctly for the ejector to eject the spent cartridge? This is not a gas action rifle where there is a gas piston to push the slide back and extract the spent cartridge. Or am I misunderstanding something here?

I recently had a problem with my modified Colt 1911 Officer's Model. It would "stovepipe" jam so I changed the recoil spring. No more "stovepipe" jams but the spent casing would fail to be extracted about every other round, just like your photo indicates. I canged the extractor and, now, all is well with the piece. The old extractor looks okay to my untrained eye but, obviously, it had a bit of wear.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:02 AM   #28643
FlagRS
Gone to the Dogs

Oddometer: 1,149
Quote:

You’re right about the striker, a light strike would cause a misfire not an FTE. I’m also wrong about the extractor, your understanding of how the extractor works with the ejector is right on. Good luck with your shooting this weekend
FlagRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:04 AM   #28644
Devil Dog
Q-Tip With Ears

Oddometer: 9,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan View Post

Fuck Jesse V
In his ass
With a chainsaw
Devil Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:07 AM   #28645
Solace
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 892
That looks like a sissy gun. Hell, it even says "SIS" on the side ...

Heh,
M

(Sorry John, that was just *too* easy ... )
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:18 AM   #28646
Cheddarhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
Space holder while I go get some shots of my 1911 for the gallery...
Cheddarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:43 AM   #28647
Devil Dog
Q-Tip With Ears

Oddometer: 9,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
That looks like a sissy gun. Hell, it even says "SIS" on the side ...

Heh,
M

(Sorry John, that was just *too* easy ... )
Sissy is Cheryls nickname for it, it's hers anyway

Fuck Jesse V
In his ass
With a chainsaw
Devil Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:43 AM   #28648
bracky72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 919
Springfield TRP

bracky72 screwed with this post 02-19-2013 at 10:14 AM
bracky72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:11 AM   #28649
urbancowboy
Vicious Cycler

Oddometer: 1,740
page 1911

Range report in a few hours.

urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:12 AM   #28650
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,415
I just know you guys can help me on this. I need a good pistol case. One pistol. 1911. I bought a Safari case, which looks really cool, but upon further investigation, the lock system is just CRAP! It's going back to the store.
What do you guys use? Like to keep it below a hun. I'm a poor bush pilot. Thanks
Lyle
skysailor is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: