Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 842 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 08:04 PM   #29341
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Range Motorsport View Post
The gun was a little rough out of the box but my tried and true break in method worked it in before any FTD, FTL, or FTF's could occur.
And what, prey, is the T+T break-in method? Inquiring minds want to know.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:10 PM   #29342
Apxgrndr
In the snow

Oddometer: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimike View Post

Those are awesome! Is that a classic? think I might sell my AR and pick one up since they are non-restricted up here in Kanuckistan, pricey but worth it IMO!
Old 04-08-2013, 08:40 PM   #29343
Range Motorsport
Junk collector

Oddometer: 1,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
And what, prey, is the T+T break-in method? Inquiring minds want to know.
Disassemble gun
Clean and lube slide and interfacing parts
Reassemble gun
Rack slide back about 15-30 times or until it feels consistently smooth, you can't overdo it
Disassemble gun
Clean off excess lube
Reassemble gun
Fire away

Think of it like breaking in a new engine. Basically it removes the rough edges left from machining and frees up the sticky parts of the gun. If you don't do this you will just break it in with bullets, and some of those bullets may jam the gun.
www.upoverland.org
Range Motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:30 AM   #29344
Parepin
The Filthy Nomad

Oddometer: 1,095
I jumped on here a little while ago and asked you guys about the Rossi Model 92 lever action and I'm back again with another one for ya, regarding the same rifle.

The carbine model comes with a 16" barrel, which I believe is within legal limits in all 50 states, plus Canada (?). For some reason, I really dig the idea of including it as a permanent piece of kit on my bike. If I could rig up some sort of locking scabbard to mount to my KLR, can anyone come up with a solid reason NOT to do it?

My main concern would be thievery, of course. Assuming I could figure out some way to secure it with a keyed lock, or otherwise make it kind of incognito, what else could go wrong? I'm not looking to be convinced one way or the other, and realistically it probably won't happen. I'm just wondering if it COULD without causing more trouble than it's worth.
Parepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:43 AM   #29345
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 8,375
Just buy a Ural. A convenient mount for a machine gun is located on the tub, and for concealed carry/camping, you can put a holster in between the tug and the tub.

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:42 AM   #29346
jmabbott888
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
There is a guy on the Kawasaki KLR 650 facebook page that mounted a Kolpin gun scabbard to his KLR, don't know if it has the lock on it but you might get it to work. As for leaving it on the bike, the thieves in my area (Bakersfield California) would find a way to take it, if not the whole bike. If you do put a scabbard on it keep an eye on it when it's parked...... and beat the crap out of the first punk that messes with it, thieves suck.
jmabbott888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:55 AM   #29347
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 12,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parepin View Post
I'm just wondering if it COULD without causing more trouble than it's worth.
Not in my opinion.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:58 AM   #29348
Badge320
Wild Hog No. 3

Oddometer: 3,668
Quote:
I jumped on here a little while ago and asked you guys about the Rossi Model 92 lever action and I'm back again with another one for ya, regarding the same rifle.

The carbine model comes with a 16" barrel, which I believe is within legal limits in all 50 states, plus Canada (?). For some reason, I really dig the idea of including it as a permanent piece of kit on my bike. If I could rig up some sort of locking scabbard to mount to my KLR, can anyone come up with a solid reason NOT to do it?

My main concern would be thievery, of course. Assuming I could figure out some way to secure it with a keyed lock, or otherwise make it kind of incognito, what else could go wrong? I'm not looking to be convinced one way or the other, and realistically it probably won't happen. I'm just wondering if it COULD without causing more trouble than it's worth.

It will attract thieves and you'll lose both the bike and the gun.
Badge320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:47 PM   #29349
Parepin
The Filthy Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badge320 View Post
It will attract thieves and you'll lose both the bike and the gun.
This is actually my biggest concern, not so much the legal ramifications. The Carbine is 34 inches long overall, which isn't that big of a gun. I'm trying to figure out where I could mount it where it could be relatively incognito. I've seen them mounted alongside the forks, but that's kinda obvious. I've got a lot going on with my KLR, all sorts of randomness attached to it as well as hard cases and the usual that make it a bit easier to hide something. I've managed to mount an axe and a fishing pole relatively low and hidden very well. The machete is fairly obvious, though, mounted right to the tank.

And yes, my bike is heavy. Minimalistic I am not.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:32 PM   #29350
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,350
Quote:

Sub2k in locking truck (hidden would be the key)
KSJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:52 PM   #29351
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,748
Quote:
I ... If I could rig up some sort of locking scabbard to mount to my KLR, can anyone come up with a solid reason NOT to do it?

... I'm just wondering if it COULD without causing more trouble than it's worth.
If you come up with a good way, let me know. While scouting areas I wear a side arm.

I rigged up a sling that goes over both shoulders, backpack style for my rifle, but hesitate to ride much off road with it because I don't want it damaged. No good way I have found.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:01 PM   #29352
Parepin
The Filthy Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
If you come up with a good way, let me know. While scouting areas I wear a side arm.

I rigged up a sling that goes over both shoulders, backpack style for my rifle, but hesitate to ride much off road with it because I don't want it damaged. No good way I have found.
I'll be sure to post it up on here WHEN I come up with something. I don't doubt that I could hide the rifle, but coming up with some sort of waterproof, lockable container that won't take up a TON of room is the issue. I don't have a ton of options here. Most generic hard cases are going to be oversized to accommodate an assortment of rifles. I would more than likely need to make something myself, maybe vacu-forming.

So... no one sees any legal issues here? Assuming the container can be locked, then locked to the bike.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:26 PM   #29353
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 31,250
There shouldn't be any legal issues in the states, but you have to jump through some hoops to take into Canada.

I think you are thinking about this the wrong way. Why not find a rifle that takes down into short pieces, like a Henry Survival rifle? Or a Ruger take down 22? There were even take down lever actions in the past that would work. Then you could stash it in a pannier.

An H&R Handy rifle broken down would probably work.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:43 PM   #29354
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
There shouldn't be any legal issues in the states, but you have to jump through some hoops to take into Canada.

I think you are thinking about this the wrong way. Why not find a rifle that takes down into short pieces, like a Henry Survival rifle? Or a Ruger take down 22? There were even take down lever actions in the past that would work. Then you could stash it in a pannier.

An H&R Handy rifle broken down would probably work.
I have the Henry Survival rifle, it fits in a pannier. Also have a Rossi lever 16" carbine, it will fit in a 6" PVC pipe 34" long. ( Actually it will fit in a 5" pipe if there is such a thing.) Glue on cap on one end, threaded cap on the other, drill an angled hole through the cap and pipe at the threads for a lock. No one will suspect a rifle in PVC anyway, and if you got a KLR it will look natural.
BTW I bring along a “Judge” when camping, 410 for the small varmints 45LC for the big ones.

Current bikes F800GS-EXCF350-Versys-690R-RZ350
sieg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:04 PM   #29355
Apxgrndr
In the snow

Oddometer: 965
Quote:

Hey have you considered the mares leg?

http://www.rossiusa.com/product-deta...adcrumbseries=

I have been thinking about picking one up, since up here it's non restricted where as I can only bring my handgun to a registered shooting range.

Overall length about 24". quite a bit more concealable than a full size rifle.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: