Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 657 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 06:13 PM   #29356
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
I think you are thinking about this the wrong way. Why not find a rifle that takes down into short pieces, like a Henry Survival rifle? Or a Ruger take down 22? There were even take down lever actions in the past that would work. Then you could stash it in a pannier.
What about a shotgun with slugs? I've seen some double barrel shotguns which break down into a couple of pieces. Do modern pumps break down at all? I thought I've seen some older pumps break down into two pieces.
McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:18 PM   #29357
Parepin
The Filthy Nomad

Oddometer: 1,082
Quote:
There shouldn't be any legal issues in the states, but you have to jump through some hoops to take into Canada.

I think you are thinking about this the wrong way. Why not find a rifle that takes down into short pieces, like a Henry Survival rifle? Or a Ruger take down 22? There were even take down lever actions in the past that would work. Then you could stash it in a pannier.

An H&R Handy rifle broken down would probably work.
I just did a quick googling, Canadia regulations dictate an 18" barrel. I'm kinda bummed out by this... I suppose that also means that the tubular magazine could be longer, allowing me to hold more rounds. So, that's a bonus.

I've seen a few take downs and I haven't been terribly impressed. I played with a survival .22 that breaks down and gets stored in it's own stock at a gun shop once. The old timer behind the counter offered me a jar of vaseline with the sale so that I wouldn't tear my o-ring when the bear shoved it up my ass. That was considerate of him, I think.

Other than that, I admit I haven't held too many take down rifles. I imagine they are less durable, less accurate, and of smaller rounds than a one piece job. Plus, I've got a hard on for the lever actions for some reason. I had a Savage 300 a few years back that was a blast to shoot, the bullets were just pricey as all hell.

As far as storage, I'd rather keep the gun out of my panniers. That's where I keep my toiletries, literature, and recreational drugs. I'm not shooting down all of your ideas, just informing you that I've considered some alternatives already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg View Post
I have the Henry Survival rifle, it fits in a pannier. Also have a Rossi lever 16" carbine, it will fit in a 6" PVC pipe 34" long. ( Actually it will fit in a 5" pipe if there is such a thing.) Glue on cap on one end, threaded cap on the other, drill an angled hole through the cap and pipe at the threads for a lock. No one will suspect a rifle in PVC anyway, and if you got a KLR it will look natural.
BTW I bring along a “Judge” when camping, 410 for the small varmints 45LC for the big ones.
I've considered the PVC, and actually already have three sections of ABS sewage line in use on my rig as tool tubes and mounts for my axe. I've considered using a chunk of ABS as a hard case. I was looking to heat it up and squish it down a bit so it was more oval than circular, but then that would make sealing either end an issue. I've seen a pistol grip pump action shotgun that comes in a sealed length of PVC as well. It just looked HUUGEEE.

There is a way, I'm sure of this...

Oh, and let me know if you ever want to sell that carbine. I see them going for $400 new, but I'd rather get a used beater.
Parepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:25 PM   #29358
Parepin
The Filthy Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apxgrndr View Post
Hey have you considered the mares leg?

http://www.rossiusa.com/product-deta...adcrumbseries=

I have been thinking about picking one up, since up here it's non restricted where as I can only bring my handgun to a registered shooting range.

Overall length about 24". quite a bit more concealable than a full size rifle.
I've looked at those as well, and I would fucking love one. My understanding, though, is that they're registered as a handgun. I understand that the action and all that jazz is Rifle, but because it was fashioned that short from new it gets registered as a handgun rather than a modified rifle.

I'd like to keep it as legal as possible just to give me lots of options. If I have to register it as a pistol, then that limits me quite a bit as far as moving from one jurisdiction to the next. Canada would pretty much be off limits all together.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:36 PM   #29359
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parepin View Post
I was looking to heat it up and squish it down a bit so it was more oval than circular, but then that would make sealing either end an issue.
Oh, and let me know if you ever want to sell that carbine. I see them going for $400 new, but I'd rather get a used beater.
Can't sell it, #1 I like it too much. #2 I won't sell any of my guns, #3 It was a present from my wife!

I was thinking 'bout squishing the PVC also. Could you squish all but the ends? Use regular round caps. Don't you think the rifle will kind of curve into it even if the ends are un-squished?
Old 04-09-2013, 06:42 PM   #29360
Parepin
The Filthy Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg View Post
Can't sell it, #1 I like it too much. #2 I won't sell any of my guns, #3 It was a present from my wife!

I was thinking 'bout squishing the PVC also. Could you squish all but the ends? Use regular round caps. Don't you think the rifle will kind of curve into it even if the ends are un-squished?
Fair enough, just thought I'd ask.

I would use ABS over PVC personally. I'm sure you could keep the ends round. I would either insert some sort of plug to keep it round, or even glue one of those threaded collars on first, THEN heat and squish. That being said, I don't think it would work for this application. The reason I would want to squish it a bit is so I can get away with using a smaller diameter pipe. If you leave either end round, I don't think that the gun would fit. It would be too tall. I'm having a hard time explaining this in text, but in my head it makes sense.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:51 PM   #29361
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,990
Quote:
I'm having a hard time explaining this in text, but in my head it makes sense.
What does it say about me if I say I understand?
Old 04-09-2013, 07:02 PM   #29362
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Fair enough, just thought I'd ask.

I would use ABS over PVC personally. I'm sure you could keep the ends round. I would either insert some sort of plug to keep it round, or even glue one of those threaded collars on first, THEN heat and squish. That being said, I don't think it would work for this application. The reason I would want to squish it a bit is so I can get away with using a smaller diameter pipe. If you leave either end round, I don't think that the gun would fit. It would be too tall. I'm having a hard time explaining this in text, but in my head it makes sense.
Hell I understand too......... what's that say 'bout all of us, and yea the butt of the stock could be an issue.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:04 PM   #29363
Parepin
The Filthy Nomad

Quote:
What does it say about me if I say I understand?
It means we're on the same wavelength, and should probably hang out more often. Are you free this saturday?
Old 04-09-2013, 07:10 PM   #29364
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
It means we're on the same wavelength, and should probably hang out more often. Are you free this saturday?
Nope, working at a Hare Scrambles.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:13 PM   #29365
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,347
I'm sure there's a reason for that giant lever loop, but it looks funny to my eye - also, I've never shot one but how do you hold it to get a sight picture? Is it freehanded Rifleman style? Would be fun to shoot no doubt.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:56 PM   #29366
Parepin
The Filthy Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
I'm sure there's a reason for that giant lever loop, but it looks funny to my eye - also, I've never shot one but how do you hold it to get a sight picture? Is it freehanded Rifleman style? Would be fun to shoot no doubt.
I never really understood the giant loop. It just looks awkward and cumbersome.

Think of Arnold in Terminator 2. He shot it single handed and just twirled the thing to chamber a round. That is what I imagine. A rifle in one hand, a machete in the other, steering the KLR with my ass as I shoot backwards at mein enemies.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:12 PM   #29367
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,347
Quote:
I never really understood the giant loop. It just looks awkward and cumbersome.

Think of Arnold in Terminator 2. He shot it single handed and just twirled the thing to chamber a round. That is what I imagine. A rifle in one hand, a machete in the other, steering the KLR with my ass as I shoot backwards at mein enemies.
'cept that Ahnolds was a 12 gauge...which is also quite cool.

So, the if you are steering with your ass, do you lube the throttle pipe or do you need it dry to hold the throttle with yer bunghole?

Also, I've thought and though about the mechanics of that way of loading and I cannot make it work...movies!

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:27 PM   #29368
Parepin
The Filthy Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
'cept that Ahnolds was a 12 gauge...which is also quite cool.

So, the if you are steering with your ass, do you lube the throttle pipe or do you need it dry to hold the throttle with yer bunghole?

Also, I've thought and though about the mechanics of that way of loading and I cannot make it work...movies!
I've got a shoelace throttle lock. True story.

I've tried the same with my Daisy. If I flicked it forward with my hand in the loop, I could get it half cocked. I'm sure there's a way. I think of it like a zippo trick or butterfly knife spinning. It just takes practice and a general acceptance that the learning curve will draw blood.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:39 PM   #29369
GoGo Gadget
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
Quote:
I've seen a few take downs and I haven't been terribly impressed.

How about a take down lever action?

http://www.thearmsroom.com/id3.html

I have been told I have the body of a God. What does this Buddha guy look like?
GoGo Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:49 AM   #29370
Juanjo_NY
Made in Argentina

Oddometer: 4,216
Friends!

don't they look like two friends talking guns!!?
Actually the one on the left hasen't been shot yet.. Probably is asking the Woody friend..
"hey, is it gonna hurt the first time!?"

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: