Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 467 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 04-20-2013, 10:26 PM   #29476
VegasKLRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee View Post

Why do I not like rifles that are chambered for handgun cartridge? It's like putting a Briggs & Stratton 5 HP engine in a Mack Truck. Why pay the weight penalty of the rifle so you can shoot handgun cartridges? If you are going to carry a rifle, carry one that shoots a rifle cartridge.

To a hunter- that makes perfect sense. But to a recreational shooter, shooting full power rifle cartridges to kill soda cans or ring steel targets is kind of like firing up a Mack truck to go to 7-11. Why got to all of the expense and recoil of full power rifle cartridges to plink?

For me, the best reason is because it is plain fun.

WWJWD?

What Would John Wayne Do?

Southwest Riders visit www.my2wheels.com.
VegasKLRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:28 PM   #29477
VegasKLRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinHead View Post
Break down lever action? That's for sissies.

Embedding not allowed http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=rNFsUvh078I

Is it just me or does this scream "Hey comrade- hold my Vodka and watch this"?

WWJWD?

What Would John Wayne Do?

Southwest Riders visit www.my2wheels.com.
VegasKLRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:48 PM   #29478
TexBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinHead View Post
Break down lever action? That's for sissies.

Damn...I've got a boat load of Mosin Nagants in the vault, but nothing like that! After the first shot, your target will be deaf, bleeding and on fire.

-Mark Twain
TexBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:59 PM   #29479
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,305
Quote:
Why do I like octagon barrels?

Because I grew up carrying a Win 94 in .30-30 with a 26" octagon barrel. I like shorter ones though. To me all lever actions should have octagon barrels.

Why do I not like rifles that are chambered for handgun cartridge? It's like putting a Briggs & Stratton 5 HP engine in a Mack Truck. Why pay the weight penalty of the rifle so you can shoot handgun cartridges? If you are going to carry a rifle, carry one that shoots a rifle cartridge.

Interchangeability of ammo is the most often repeated advantage of a rifle chambered for a handgun cartridge, and to some degree it is an advantage - but IMO it is a small advantage that I would probably never need.

This isn't the wild west of the 1800s, I can resupply ammo fairly easily. I will probably never need any of my rifles for self-defense and even if I did and they were available then so would be plenty of ammo. In those cases if I had both rifle and handgun then I would be carrying a lot less handgun ammo than rifle ammo.

For hunting there is even less of an advantage; I rarely need to shoot more than 3 or 4 times on any hunting trip, if that (usually one shot does it, then possibly a coup de grace with a handgun).

In short, I just don't see it as something that I want. I carry a rifle (when I do carry it) for a number of reasons:

1) The power of the cartridge (and/or the longer barrel).
2) The longer sight radius (less and less of an advantage as I get older).
3) For any given cartridge they are quieter.

The main reason is #1.
You can resupply ammo fairly easily?

Where ya buying your 5.56 right now? A few hundred of us would love to know...
KSJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:01 PM   #29480
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS View Post
I have long guns chambered in what would traditionally be characterized as rifle cartridges and long guns in what would be traditionally characterized as pistol cartridges. I like both. You get a bit higher velocity with the same cartridge out of a rifle. .45 LC can also be loaded pretty hot for most rifles. Just don't mix the rounds up with the pistol rounds which are loaded down to SAAMI specs.

Its the pistols chambered in traditional rifle cartridges that I dont see the point in. Unless you enjoy a muzzle blast that removes all your facial hair that is.
A sidearm in 45-70 would have prevented the need for my twice-a-day shaves in the Corps
Old 04-20-2013, 11:06 PM   #29481
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Garrett sells a .45-70 load that has 3200 ftlbs of energy:

http://www.garrettcartridges.com/4570420tech.html

And of course the .45-90 has more powder space so it can do better if you want to push it.

But paper ballistics isn't everything. The .454 Cassull can approach std. .45-70 for the bullets you can load with it, but as the projectiles get heavier the .45-70 can do a lot better, and you can load really heavy bullets in it (520 grain).

In general I am would prefer not to use a conventional long gun inside a building (maybe a bullpup or something that length), but not a long gun, regardless of chambering. The problem being one of maneuvering and bringing the firearm to bear. I've done some building clearing exercises in the military and I much prefer handguns for that purpose.

I agree about the shotgun - there are a number of myths about them, or near myths. Someone who is high on PCP is not going to be intimidated by anything, much less a sound - plus racking the slide on a Glock is almost as loud as racking a shotgun. I think a shotgun is useful for close quarters defense, but limited in versatility - if you suddenly have to engage someone at 100 yards what will you do? A combat situation can be very fluid with one to many opponents, and targets close up and far away.
I often like to lube my pistol-caliber Glock rifle with synthetic lubricants. It is WAY better than any dino oil you could put on your Glock rifle while shooting a traditional pistol round. I dare anyone to say otherwise. Otherwise, I will web-fu your ass with 'what ifs' centered primarily around what I COULD load a round with, in a particular circumstance, to squash your mainstream load argument. So fucking HA!
Old 04-20-2013, 11:07 PM   #29482
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasKLRider View Post
Is it just me or does this scream "Hey comrade- hold my Vodka and watch this"?
Or, "Hey comrade, gimmme your fuckin' vodka and leave your GF here"
Old 04-21-2013, 12:07 AM   #29483
jmabbott888
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
KSJEEPER, you asked about 5.56, well at the last gunshow last weekend here in Bakersfield they had loads of it for sale, not cheap but available. As for me all I have to say is it's real nice that dad was a hoarder (in a good way), he had a tendency to buy ammo & components when they were available & when he passed in Jan of 07 I inherited it all. Ever see 5.56 ammo, American Eagle in boxes marked $3.25??? All of it packaged in 100 rnd lots wrapped in waxed paper in a box lol.
jmabbott888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:23 AM   #29484
GoGo Gadget
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasKLRider View Post
To a hunter- that makes perfect sense. But to a recreational shooter, shooting full power rifle cartridges to kill soda cans or ring steel targets is kind of like firing up a Mack truck to go to 7-11. Why got to all of the expense and recoil of full power rifle cartridges to plink?

For me, the best reason is because it is plain fun.
\

Yep. I meant to list that as well. I was hitting my pepper poppers from 50+ yards away with my 1894 in 38spl. Much cheaper than the AR and I did not have to reset the targets if I edged them away a tad.

pew.......wait for it.......clang

I have been told I have the body of a God. What does this Buddha guy look like?
GoGo Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:28 AM   #29485
GoGo Gadget
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexBiker View Post
Damn...I've got a boat load of Mosin Nagants in the vault, but nothing like that! After the first shot, your target will be deaf, bleeding and on fire.

That thing come with an asbestos suit? LOL

I went looking for a Nagant after seeign the Archangel stock for it. I thought it would be a cool toy. I remembered them being about $100-150. Now folks want $400-500 for them. Sheesh.

I have been told I have the body of a God. What does this Buddha guy look like?
GoGo Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:35 AM   #29486
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmabbott888 View Post
KSJEEPER, you asked about 5.56, well at the last gunshow last weekend here in Bakersfield they had loads of it for sale, not cheap but available. As for me all I have to say is it's real nice that dad was a hoarder (in a good way), he had a tendency to buy ammo & components when they were available & when he passed in Jan of 07 I inherited it all. Ever see 5.56 ammo, American Eagle in boxes marked $3.25??? All of it packaged in 100 rnd lots wrapped in waxed paper in a box lol.
I have seen that... but not lately... or even in the last 10 years or so.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:44 AM   #29487
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSJEEPER View Post

Just yesterday I was in a shop that had lots of PMC 5.56 55gr FMJ "practice" stuff......for $12.99 a box (20)!

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:55 AM   #29488
clevishook
stevedore

Oddometer: 1,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGo Gadget View Post

I went looking for a Nagant after seeign the Archangel stock for it. I thought it would be a cool toy. I remembered them being about $100-150. Now folks want $400-500 for them. Sheesh.

Any info on this build. Looks cool. Lots of changes.
clevishook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:35 AM   #29489
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGo Gadget View Post

It wasn't that long ago, (less then 10 years) when you were able to get a 91/30 for around $59-60. A M38 and M41 were a bit more at $70-80. You can still get a 91/30's are around $120-150. (they use the same AA stock) A M38 or M44
is a different matter.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:43 AM   #29490
xshanex
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSJEEPER View Post

local shop doesn't have limits on what you can buy.......I could have bought 3k rounds yesterday. There's tons of it and all common calibers in stock. Wouldn't pay the prices that ammo is going for everywhere but the availability is not an issue here
xshanex is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: