User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 854 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 04-28-2013, 03:35 PM   #29566
RYANINMICHIGAN
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 610
My brother has the A bolt with BOSS in .223. It's a real shooter.
RYANINMICHIGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:50 PM   #29567
JayHawk
Grandpa to 3

Oddometer: 131
I had an A bolt in 338wm w/ BOSS and it shot great. In a weak moment I sold it to a friend who uses it in Alaska. Wish I had it back.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:59 PM   #29568
Rich B
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
So does any one have any long term experience with a Rossi 971 in .357 with a 4" barrel? My wife has been bugging me to go shopping for a smaller/lighter handgun for the night stand. She really has a hard time handling the Ruger P85, the P90 is hopeless for her.

So we went shopping today, selection was thin as expected. But still a fair selection of revolvers. Most were the short barrelled lightweights which I am not a big fan of. After trying a lot of different revolvers and some small semi auto's, she took a real liking to the Rossi. So it followed us home.

After getting it home and playing with it for a while...I am even warming up to it. Sits decent in the hand. She does better with the Rossi and 38 Specials than she ever did wresting the P85. Not bad trigger pull for an out of the box inexpensive gun.

So any long term experience?
Old 04-28-2013, 11:56 PM   #29569
LoFlow
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 958
I too have finally joined the 45 70 club. It took awhile but one finally came up in my area at a decent price. It came with a Wild West trigger, sear and follower. Also the XS rail and sights and a few other little goodies. I'm on an ammo search now and can't wait to get out and punish the hell out of my shoulder.

LoFlow screwed with this post 04-29-2013 at 12:02 AM
LoFlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:54 AM   #29570
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 8,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
So does any one have any long term experience with a Rossi 971 in .357 with a 4" barrel? My wife has been bugging me to go shopping for a smaller/lighter handgun for the night stand. She really has a hard time handling the Ruger P85, the P90 is hopeless for her.

So we went shopping today, selection was thin as expected. But still a fair selection of revolvers. Most were the short barrelled lightweights which I am not a big fan of. After trying a lot of different revolvers and some small semi auto's, she took a real liking to the Rossi. So it followed us home.

After getting it home and playing with it for a while...I am even warming up to it. Sits decent in the hand. She does better with the Rossi and 38 Specials than she ever did wresting the P85. Not bad trigger pull for an out of the box inexpensive gun.

So any long term experience?
I got one in a trade a while back. It had never been fired. The trigger was crap in double action out of the box, single action was good though. I loaded it up with snap caps and spent a couple nights pulling while watching tv. At about 500 pulls, I could feel it start to get smoother. At about 1000 it was darn near perfect. I can readily get .38 where I'm at, so the 691 gets a lot of range time. I've probably put about 5k rounds through it without an issue now.

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:13 AM   #29571
tcs06
The Clueless Wonder

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFlow View Post
I too have finally joined the 45 70 club. It took awhile but one finally came up in my area at a decent price. It came with a Wild West trigger, sear and follower. Also the XS rail and sights and a few other little goodies. I'm on an ammo search now and can't wait to get out and punish the hell out of my shoulder.

Nice looking Marlin!

As far as ammo, learn to reload. Commercial stuff is expensive and unless you buy high end you will not find any that approaches the capabilities of the 1895.
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise.
tcs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:19 AM   #29572
Juanjo_NY
Made in Argentina

Oddometer: 4,566
^^ agreed.
Honardy 325gr 45-70 are GREAT! they also make them in 250gr.
BUT EXPENSIVE to plink.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:11 AM   #29573
LoFlow
Studly Adventurer

Thanks guys. I packed my reloading stuff away years ago when I wasn't shooting all that much. 45 70 for sure will demand me to dig my stuff out of storage and set up a proper bench again. Seems to be a very versatile caliber for a reloader.

LoFlow screwed with this post 04-29-2013 at 08:16 AM
LoFlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:27 AM   #29574
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatling View Post
Okay, here's my Guide Gun. I was a goner when I saw the wood...

Somehow "nice wood, dude" sounds just wrong?
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:37 AM   #29575
gatling
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Somehow "nice wood, dude" sounds just wrong?
Lyle
Good one.
'10 California Scooter (my Baja Blaster!)
gatling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:25 PM   #29576
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

Oddometer: 2,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFlow View Post
Thanks guys. I packed my reloading stuff away years ago when I wasn't shooting all that much. 45 70 for sure will demand me to dig my stuff out of storage and set up a proper bench again. Seems to be a very versatile caliber for a reloader.
Just be careful if you end up with Hornady brass. They make it shorter for the Leverevolution ammoe for some reason. I just loaded it to the correct length without being able to crimp and will shoot one at a time until I can find some brass of the proper length. YMMV.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:54 PM   #29577
gatling
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,265
I load a lot for the 45 70. It is a hoot to reload; almost as much or more fun than it is shooting this caliber. I have played a bit with the higher velocity loads, but doing so is silly for the kind of shooting I do. A 330 grain cast bullet with 15 grains of Unique is just what the doctor ordered, and it is quite accurate.
'10 California Scooter (my Baja Blaster!)
gatling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:38 PM   #29578
Juanjo_NY
Made in Argentina

Oddometer: 4,566
Mossberg 930

finally after owning this gun for few weeks this weekend got to shot it!!
Also took my single shot H&R and with the same ammo the kick is so much lesser, or the H&R kick like a psycho mule..:P
Got a sham once with some cheap reloaded low brass I bought at a garage sale, but with factory low brass cycle just fine.
That's with some Low brass Remington target load.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:35 PM   #29579
LoFlow
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrfytr View Post
Just be careful if you end up with Hornady brass. They make it shorter for the Leverevolution ammoe for some reason. I just loaded it to the correct length without being able to crimp and will shoot one at a time until I can find some brass of the proper length. YMMV.
Thanks for the Hornady brass tip. The only factory ammo I could find in my local area was Winchester Super X, 300 grain. And only 2 boxes left so I grabbed them both.

I can't even find 30 30 ammo around here anymore. 30 40 Krag is still available though, not a run on it yet. Geez!
Old 04-30-2013, 07:17 AM   #29580
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,477
Find myself shopping for second handgun. I'd like to pair it with a Marlin in the same calibre. That puts me in the .357 or .44 mag area. I'm buying it primarily as a "toy", cheap to feed gravel pit gun (the Marlin) and thinking SA for the hand gun. Ruger (again)? The Marlin is first on the list....any problems feeding it .38? Figure the .357 will get the nod....except, .357 isn't a very "traditional" SA round. The shopping is half the fun of the thing..
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: