ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 850 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 07:31 AM   #29581
acesandeights
Asperger
 
acesandeights's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: So. Oregon
Oddometer: 3,761
I have a Marlin 1894 in .44M and Ruger Blackhawk in .44M. Both of them go bang every time and put a smile on my face.
__________________
http://breakingbooks.wordpress.com
Amazballs Indi-music at https://soundcloud.com/sprunty2000/
I may not be Rainman, but I'm not stupid eighter. Like Bartek on a taco.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:23 AM   #29582
Motor31
Beastly Adventurer
 
Motor31's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Wherever we park - full time RV'ers
Oddometer: 1,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Find myself shopping for second handgun. I'd like to pair it with a Marlin in the same calibre. That puts me in the .357 or .44 mag area. I'm buying it primarily as a "toy", cheap to feed gravel pit gun (the Marlin) and thinking SA for the hand gun. Ruger (again)? The Marlin is first on the list....any problems feeding it .38? Figure the .357 will get the nod....except, .357 isn't a very "traditional" SA round. The shopping is half the fun of the thing..
Lyle

It should function just fine with the 38's. The only real issue is that the shorter rounds will leave a carbon ring that will interfere with chambering the longer 357's. You'll have to scrub it out before it will feed the magnums smoothly. If you handload using magnum cases with a 38 load recipe will keep you shooting as cheaply without having to scrub the chamber out.
__________________
Wherever we go, there we are.

DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:23 AM   #29583
HardCase
winter is coming
 
HardCase's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: chambers on the Third
Oddometer: 10,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Find myself shopping for second handgun. I'd like to pair it with a Marlin in the same calibre. That puts me in the .357 or .44 mag area. I'm buying it primarily as a "toy", cheap to feed gravel pit gun (the Marlin) and thinking SA for the hand gun. Ruger (again)? The Marlin is first on the list....any problems feeding it .38? Figure the .357 will get the nod....except, .357 isn't a very "traditional" SA round. The shopping is half the fun of the thing..
Lyle
I have a Marlin 1894 in 357......actually, my girlfriend now has it, she loves it more than I do.....and it seems to feed 38s just fine. I wasn't all that thrilled with the accuracy I could get from it, I'm an old bolt-action guy since the 1960s, and find I get irritated when a rifle won't produce at least 2" groups at 100 yards, which the Marlins generally will not do. In fact, I couldn't get that level of accuracy at 50 yards out of the 357. I have handguns that I can shoot that well from a rested position, so am perplexed why I cannot do at least that well with a rifle, but there it is.
__________________
Μολών λαβέ

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:47 PM   #29584
VegasKLRider
Beastly Adventurer
 
VegasKLRider's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Oddometer: 2,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Find myself shopping for second handgun. I'd like to pair it with a Marlin in the same calibre. That puts me in the .357 or .44 mag area. I'm buying it primarily as a "toy", cheap to feed gravel pit gun (the Marlin) and thinking SA for the hand gun. Ruger (again)? The Marlin is first on the list....any problems feeding it .38? Figure the .357 will get the nod....except, .357 isn't a very "traditional" SA round. The shopping is half the fun of the thing..
Lyle
My favorite plinker is a Marlin 1894 in .357. When I go out in the desert it sits in the truck while a Ruger .357 1st gen Vacquero rides on my hip. Both are fed .38 specials at the range, but carry max load .357's when out and about. The only thing is that lead semi wadcutters will make the Marlin hiccup on feeding- any round nosed loadings feed just fine. The cool thing about that combo is that the Vacquero is one of the few .357's around that is strong enough to deal with a steady diet of heavy .357 loadings (same cylinder as the .44mag with more steel around it) and the Marlin is stronger still (same frame and barrle as a .44mag with more steel around it). My Marlin is accurate enough for me- I can hit a mini-popper at 100 yds every time if I do my part.
__________________
I was born... I shall die... but the time in between is mine.


WWJWD?

What Would John Wayne Do?

Southwest Riders visit www.my2wheels.com.
VegasKLRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:12 PM   #29585
GoGo Gadget
Beastly Adventurer
 
GoGo Gadget's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Oddometer: 1,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasKLRider View Post
My favorite plinker is a Marlin 1894 in .357. When I go out in the desert it sits in the truck while a Ruger .357 1st gen Vacquero rides on my hip. Both are fed .38 specials at the range, but carry max load .357's when out and about. The only thing is that lead semi wadcutters will make the Marlin hiccup on feeding- any round nosed loadings feed just fine. The cool thing about that combo is that the Vacquero is one of the few .357's around that is strong enough to deal with a steady diet of heavy .357 loadings (same cylinder as the .44mag with more steel around it) and the Marlin is stronger still (same frame and barrle as a .44mag with more steel around it). My Marlin is accurate enough for me- I can hit a mini-popper at 100 yds every time if I do my part.

Mine is becoming a favorite go to gun. I am selling my Ruger New Model Blackhawk to get a Willey Clapp GP100. Just can't get used to the old school grip angle of the Blackhawk.
__________________
I don't know how or when I'll die, but I know someone will be holding my beer for me when I do.


I have been told I have the body of a God. What does this Buddha guy look like?
GoGo Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:43 PM   #29586
Signal
Cynical Idealist
 
Signal's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Utah
Oddometer: 8,510
Curious about three gun shoots-

For those who have participated, gimme a clue which make/models you used-
Barrel lengths, etc

thanks
__________________
Day Trippin'- Endless Utah
Signal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:17 AM   #29587
RuggedExposure
Now with more rugged
 
RuggedExposure's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Hermanas, NM (on the US/Mex border past BFE)
Oddometer: 1,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal View Post
Curious about three gun shoots-

For those who have participated, gimme a clue which make/models you used-
Barrel lengths, etc

thanks
7" Noveske SBR 5.56
Remington 870
Glock 21 or HK P2000 in .40
__________________
The fear and dread of you will fall on all the beasts of the earth
RE Fotowerks
Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:22 AM   #29588
soewe812
Wag more Bark less
 
soewe812's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Springville, Utah
Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal View Post
Curious about three gun shoots-

For those who have participated, gimme a clue which make/models you used-
Barrel lengths, etc

thanks
Mossberg 590
FN-FAL
Glock 29

But then I never was one to do it like everyone else.

I even shot one 3 gun match with a 1917 Enfield.
soewe812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:56 AM   #29589
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer
 
mikegc's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: High Point, NC
Oddometer: 1,577
The I LOVE THIS GUN Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by soewe812 View Post
Mossberg 590
FN-FAL
Glock 29

But then I never was one to do it like everyone else.

I even shot one 3 gun match with a 1917 Enfield.

I had to chuckle at using a 1917 Enfield. The last match I attended, I used a 1903 Springfield (not an A-3). The other pieces were an 870 and a 1911.

Mike
__________________
IBA 25881


Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:23 AM   #29590
PunkinHead
Moobless Adventurer
 
PunkinHead's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Land of Walmart Shoppers
Oddometer: 5,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrfytr View Post
To me, the recoil of a Mosin, while stout, is still much more comfortable to shoot than a .30-06 from a bolt gun. YMMV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinHead View Post
I'll find out next week - I just ordered a Remington 700 BDL in 30-06 from Bud's.
Well, I found out last night. I took my son skeet shooting for the first time and afterwards we went over to the rifle range to try out the 30-06. While pulling it out of the case he said, "uh oh, this is going to hurt". He was right. I thought the little Chinese carbine Mosin kicked... Guess I'll be buying a slip-on butt pad.

I'm also going to have to strip that thick, shiny finish Remington used. It makes the wood look like it's made of plastic. Why would they put that awful finish on such a nice gun?
PunkinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:41 AM   #29591
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Kingsville MO
Oddometer: 5,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinHead View Post
Well, I found out last night. I took my son skeet shooting for the first time and afterwards we went over to the rifle range to try out the 30-06. While pulling it out of the case he said, "uh oh, this is going to hurt". He was right. I thought the little Chinese carbine Mosin kicked... Guess I'll be buying a slip-on butt pad.

I'm also going to have to strip that thick, shiny finish Remington used. It makes the wood look like it's made of plastic. Why would they put that awful finish on such a nice gun?
They are the only way I can shoot this stuff any longer. Three rounds out of anything except the M1 Carbine and it feels like my head is going to be ripped off.
__________________
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist
[/FONT]
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:51 AM   #29592
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Dearborn, MI
Oddometer: 5,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinHead View Post
Well, I found out last night. I took my son skeet shooting for the first time and afterwards we went over to the rifle range to try out the 30-06. While pulling it out of the case he said, "uh oh, this is going to hurt". He was right. I thought the little Chinese carbine Mosin kicked... Guess I'll be buying a slip-on butt pad.

I'm also going to have to strip that thick, shiny finish Remington used. It makes the wood look like it's made of plastic. Why would they put that awful finish on such a nice gun?
Recoil is always worse when shooting from a bench. Stand up and shoot, and you won't mind it nearly as much. If you intend to shoot a sporter weight rifle from the bench, invest in a "sissy bag", which is a leather bag filled with a couple of pounds of #6 lead shot. It goes between the gun butt and your shoulder and absorbs most of the recoil.
__________________
15 BMW RnineT
10 Ducati 1098 Streetfighter S - "Sleipnir"
09 Kaw Versys
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:48 AM   #29593
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last
 
Manuel Garcia O'Kely's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Central Colorado Rockies
Oddometer: 12,766
When we were kids it was "All you got is an '06?".....now that damn thing seems like a LOT of gun, maybe the old man was not so dumb after all.

I know larger cartridges exist for good reasons, but I do sort of wonder at guys who bench-rest with a 300 magunum - and I see a LOT of 300 mags out here for some reason. Shit, that is so much gun for a mule deer and it's pretty heavy medicine for Elk...but to bench rest shoot? At 200 yards?

I'm starting to question the wisdom of a .308 for benchrest shooting, those .223 bolt actions are starting to look better...

The local dealer always wants to show me the 50 cal he's got for sale. Yea, that's what I need.
__________________
Never ascribe to Evil that which is more resonably explained by Ignorance and Stupidity

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:59 AM   #29594
gatling
Beastly Adventurer
 
gatling's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Oddometer: 2,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinHead View Post
Well, I found out last night. I took my son skeet shooting for the first time and afterwards we went over to the rifle range to try out the 30-06. While pulling it out of the case he said, "uh oh, this is going to hurt". He was right. I thought the little Chinese carbine Mosin kicked... Guess I'll be buying a slip-on butt pad.

I'm also going to have to strip that thick, shiny finish Remington used. It makes the wood look like it's made of plastic. Why would they put that awful finish on such a nice gun?
For a short while, Remington made the 700 European model with a satin finish. I have one in 30 06 and it is quite nice.

__________________
www.CSCMotorcycles.com
'15 RX-3 CSC Cyclone (I'm getting the 1st one!)
'06 KLR 650 (Red...the fast one...)
'10 California Scooter (my Baja Blaster!)
gatling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:06 AM   #29595
acesandeights
Asperger
 
acesandeights's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: So. Oregon
Oddometer: 3,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
...
I know larger cartridges exist for good reasons, but I do sort of wonder at guys who bench-rest with a 300 magunum - and I see a LOT of 300 mags out here for some reason. Shit, that is so much gun for a mule deer and it's pretty heavy medicine for Elk...but to bench rest shoot? At 200 yards?

...
I used to be one of those guys with the .300 mag. After walking around in the woods for a couple seasons I realized there wasn't much use in having one, not for me anyway. I wasn't going to take a 200 yard shot with as thick as the woods I hunt. I also like getting closer to the animal, that's more of the "hunt" for me. I sold my .300 win-mag and bought a couple of lever-guns, .44M and .45-70. More than enough gun for anything in the US and much easier to shoot consistently and often.

For "bench rest" type shooting, it's hard to beat an accurate .22 (in my opinion). Kind of like it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow, I like to see how accurate I can get and see if I can start stretching the distances. That, for me, is fun and skillful. I think I have six or more .22 handguns or rifles now. It's my favorite caliber now.

ETA: You're right though, there is a reason for them, but it's a different kind of shooter than me anymore.
__________________
http://breakingbooks.wordpress.com
Amazballs Indi-music at https://soundcloud.com/sprunty2000/
I may not be Rainman, but I'm not stupid eighter. Like Bartek on a taco.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014