User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 850 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 07:31 AM   #29581
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,761
I have a Marlin 1894 in .44M and Ruger Blackhawk in .44M. Both of them go bang every time and put a smile on my face.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:23 AM   #29582
Motor31
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Find myself shopping for second handgun. I'd like to pair it with a Marlin in the same calibre. That puts me in the .357 or .44 mag area. I'm buying it primarily as a "toy", cheap to feed gravel pit gun (the Marlin) and thinking SA for the hand gun. Ruger (again)? The Marlin is first on the list....any problems feeding it .38? Figure the .357 will get the nod....except, .357 isn't a very "traditional" SA round. The shopping is half the fun of the thing..
Lyle

It should function just fine with the 38's. The only real issue is that the shorter rounds will leave a carbon ring that will interfere with chambering the longer 357's. You'll have to scrub it out before it will feed the magnums smoothly. If you handload using magnum cases with a 38 load recipe will keep you shooting as cheaply without having to scrub the chamber out.

DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:23 AM   #29583
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 10,135
Quote:
Find myself shopping for second handgun. I'd like to pair it with a Marlin in the same calibre. That puts me in the .357 or .44 mag area. I'm buying it primarily as a "toy", cheap to feed gravel pit gun (the Marlin) and thinking SA for the hand gun. Ruger (again)? The Marlin is first on the list....any problems feeding it .38? Figure the .357 will get the nod....except, .357 isn't a very "traditional" SA round. The shopping is half the fun of the thing..
Lyle
I have a Marlin 1894 in 357......actually, my girlfriend now has it, she loves it more than I do.....and it seems to feed 38s just fine. I wasn't all that thrilled with the accuracy I could get from it, I'm an old bolt-action guy since the 1960s, and find I get irritated when a rifle won't produce at least 2" groups at 100 yards, which the Marlins generally will not do. In fact, I couldn't get that level of accuracy at 50 yards out of the 357. I have handguns that I can shoot that well from a rested position, so am perplexed why I cannot do at least that well with a rifle, but there it is.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:47 PM   #29584
VegasKLRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,927
Quote:
Lyle
My favorite plinker is a Marlin 1894 in .357. When I go out in the desert it sits in the truck while a Ruger .357 1st gen Vacquero rides on my hip. Both are fed .38 specials at the range, but carry max load .357's when out and about. The only thing is that lead semi wadcutters will make the Marlin hiccup on feeding- any round nosed loadings feed just fine. The cool thing about that combo is that the Vacquero is one of the few .357's around that is strong enough to deal with a steady diet of heavy .357 loadings (same cylinder as the .44mag with more steel around it) and the Marlin is stronger still (same frame and barrle as a .44mag with more steel around it). My Marlin is accurate enough for me- I can hit a mini-popper at 100 yds every time if I do my part.

WWJWD?

What Would John Wayne Do?

Southwest Riders visit www.my2wheels.com.
VegasKLRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:12 PM   #29585
GoGo Gadget
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasKLRider View Post
My favorite plinker is a Marlin 1894 in .357. When I go out in the desert it sits in the truck while a Ruger .357 1st gen Vacquero rides on my hip. Both are fed .38 specials at the range, but carry max load .357's when out and about. The only thing is that lead semi wadcutters will make the Marlin hiccup on feeding- any round nosed loadings feed just fine. The cool thing about that combo is that the Vacquero is one of the few .357's around that is strong enough to deal with a steady diet of heavy .357 loadings (same cylinder as the .44mag with more steel around it) and the Marlin is stronger still (same frame and barrle as a .44mag with more steel around it). My Marlin is accurate enough for me- I can hit a mini-popper at 100 yds every time if I do my part.

Mine is becoming a favorite go to gun. I am selling my Ruger New Model Blackhawk to get a Willey Clapp GP100. Just can't get used to the old school grip angle of the Blackhawk.

I have been told I have the body of a God. What does this Buddha guy look like?
GoGo Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:43 PM   #29586
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,510
Curious about three gun shoots-

For those who have participated, gimme a clue which make/models you used-
Barrel lengths, etc

thanks
Old 05-02-2013, 12:17 AM   #29587
RuggedExposure
Now with more rugged

Oddometer: 1,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal View Post

Barrel lengths, etc

thanks
7" Noveske SBR 5.56
Remington 870
Glock 21 or HK P2000 in .40
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:22 AM   #29588
soewe812
Wag more Bark less

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal View Post

Barrel lengths, etc

thanks
Mossberg 590
FN-FAL
Glock 29

But then I never was one to do it like everyone else.

I even shot one 3 gun match with a 1917 Enfield.
soewe812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:56 AM   #29589
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,577
The I LOVE THIS GUN Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by soewe812 View Post
Mossberg 590
FN-FAL
Glock 29

But then I never was one to do it like everyone else.

I even shot one 3 gun match with a 1917 Enfield.

I had to chuckle at using a 1917 Enfield. The last match I attended, I used a 1903 Springfield (not an A-3). The other pieces were an 870 and a 1911.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:23 AM   #29590
PunkinHead
Moobless Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrfytr View Post
To me, the recoil of a Mosin, while stout, is still much more comfortable to shoot than a .30-06 from a bolt gun. YMMV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinHead View Post
I'll find out next week - I just ordered a Remington 700 BDL in 30-06 from Bud's.
Well, I found out last night. I took my son skeet shooting for the first time and afterwards we went over to the rifle range to try out the 30-06. While pulling it out of the case he said, "uh oh, this is going to hurt". He was right. I thought the little Chinese carbine Mosin kicked... Guess I'll be buying a slip-on butt pad.

I'm also going to have to strip that thick, shiny finish Remington used. It makes the wood look like it's made of plastic. Why would they put that awful finish on such a nice gun?
PunkinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:41 AM   #29591
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,688
Quote:
Well, I found out last night. I took my son skeet shooting for the first time and afterwards we went over to the rifle range to try out the 30-06. While pulling it out of the case he said, "uh oh, this is going to hurt". He was right. I thought the little Chinese carbine Mosin kicked... Guess I'll be buying a slip-on butt pad.

I'm also going to have to strip that thick, shiny finish Remington used. It makes the wood look like it's made of plastic. Why would they put that awful finish on such a nice gun?
They are the only way I can shoot this stuff any longer. Three rounds out of anything except the M1 Carbine and it feels like my head is going to be ripped off.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:51 AM   #29592
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 5,661
Quote:

Recoil is always worse when shooting from a bench. Stand up and shoot, and you won't mind it nearly as much. If you intend to shoot a sporter weight rifle from the bench, invest in a "sissy bag", which is a leather bag filled with a couple of pounds of #6 lead shot. It goes between the gun butt and your shoulder and absorbs most of the recoil.
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:48 AM   #29593
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,766
When we were kids it was "All you got is an '06?".....now that damn thing seems like a LOT of gun, maybe the old man was not so dumb after all.

I know larger cartridges exist for good reasons, but I do sort of wonder at guys who bench-rest with a 300 magunum - and I see a LOT of 300 mags out here for some reason. Shit, that is so much gun for a mule deer and it's pretty heavy medicine for Elk...but to bench rest shoot? At 200 yards?

I'm starting to question the wisdom of a .308 for benchrest shooting, those .223 bolt actions are starting to look better...

The local dealer always wants to show me the 50 cal he's got for sale. Yea, that's what I need.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:59 AM   #29594
gatling
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,265
Quote:

For a short while, Remington made the 700 European model with a satin finish. I have one in 30 06 and it is quite nice.

'10 California Scooter (my Baja Blaster!)
gatling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:06 AM   #29595
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
I know larger cartridges exist for good reasons, but I do sort of wonder at guys who bench-rest with a 300 magunum - and I see a LOT of 300 mags out here for some reason. Shit, that is so much gun for a mule deer and it's pretty heavy medicine for Elk...but to bench rest shoot? At 200 yards?

I used to be one of those guys with the .300 mag. After walking around in the woods for a couple seasons I realized there wasn't much use in having one, not for me anyway. I wasn't going to take a 200 yard shot with as thick as the woods I hunt. I also like getting closer to the animal, that's more of the "hunt" for me. I sold my .300 win-mag and bought a couple of lever-guns, .44M and .45-70. More than enough gun for anything in the US and much easier to shoot consistently and often.

For "bench rest" type shooting, it's hard to beat an accurate .22 (in my opinion). Kind of like it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow, I like to see how accurate I can get and see if I can start stretching the distances. That, for me, is fun and skillful. I think I have six or more .22 handguns or rifles now. It's my favorite caliber now.

ETA: You're right though, there is a reason for them, but it's a different kind of shooter than me anymore.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: