Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 658 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 05-02-2013, 09:09 AM   #29596
gatling
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
I used to be one of those guys with the .300 mag. After walking around in the woods for a couple seasons I realized there wasn't much use in having one, not for me anyway. I wasn't going to take a 200 yard shot with as thick as the woods I hunt. I also like getting closer to the animal, that's more of the "hunt" for me. I sold my .300 win-mag and bought a couple of lever-guns, .44M and .45-70. More than enough gun for anything in the US and much easier to shoot consistently and often.

For "bench rest" type shooting, it's hard to beat an accurate .22 (in my opinion). Kind of like it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow, I like to see how accurate I can get and see if I can start stretching the distances. That, for me, is fun and skillful. I think I have six or more .22 handguns or rifles now. It's my favorite caliber now.

ETA: You're right though, there is a reason for them, but it's a different kind of shooter than me anymore.
My shooting is moving exactly in the same direction and with the same calibers. Great minds work alike, I guess.
gatling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:24 AM   #29597
n8dawg6
krunkin'

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
When we were kids it was "All you got is an '06?".....now that damn thing seems like a LOT of gun, maybe the old man was not so dumb after all.

I know larger cartridges exist for good reasons, but I do sort of wonder at guys who bench-rest with a 300 magunum - and I see a LOT of 300 mags out here for some reason. Shit, that is so much gun for a mule deer and it's pretty heavy medicine for Elk...but to bench rest shoot? At 200 yards?

I'm starting to question the wisdom of a .308 for benchrest shooting, those .223 bolt actions are starting to look better...

The local dealer always wants to show me the 50 cal he's got for sale. Yea, that's what I need.
I have been steadily downsizing the cartridges I use for deer hunting and target shooting. Lately I've been using a .250-3000 savage. It is killing deer just as dead as a .270 or .308, and the recoil barely exists. Try the smaller calibers, .250 sav, .257 bob, .243 win, you'll like 'em.

The .223 is getting a lot of use these days for deer hunting. All it takes is a good bullet and shot placement (which you have to have anyway). It's also a great cartridge for the range for most folks that don't even have a range that goes to 1000 yds.

The smaller cals cost less to shoot too. less lead, less powder per shot.

Don't get me wrong, I own a .300 win mag and I think the mags are COOL. but the smaller cals get more use. Like someone mentioned above, I far and away shoot more .22 LR than anything else these days.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #29598
jmabbott888
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
What rifle do you have chambered in the 250 Savage? I've got an old Savage 99 that shoots great with cast slugs up to about 90 grains.
jmabbott888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #29599
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 8,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinHead View Post
Well, I found out last night. I took my son skeet shooting for the first time and afterwards we went over to the rifle range to try out the 30-06. While pulling it out of the case he said, "uh oh, this is going to hurt". He was right. I thought the little Chinese carbine Mosin kicked... Guess I'll be buying a slip-on butt pad.

I'm also going to have to strip that thick, shiny finish Remington used. It makes the wood look like it's made of plastic. Why would they put that awful finish on such a nice gun?
I've got a little 20 gauge I'd like you to try if you think the mosins have some bite.

I bought a box of 100 high brass shells about 15 years ago. Still have most of em. Good god that thing's like hugging an angry mule.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:15 PM   #29600
PunkinHead
Moobless Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,568
I forgot I have a Caldwell lead sled I bought then stuck in the shed unused. I'll take that to the range if we decide to shoot the 30-06 off the bench. But this gun is really a light carry gun for deer/elk.
PunkinHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:43 PM   #29601
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,993
Quote:
I forgot I have a Caldwell lead sled I bought then stuck in the shed unused. I'll take that to the range if we decide to shoot the 30-06 off the bench. But this gun is really a light carry gun for deer/elk.
I've been playing with cast bullets and light loads with my 06. Puts the fun back into it.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:51 PM   #29602
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismount View Post
I've got a little 20 gauge I'd like you to try if you think the mosins have some bite.

I bought a box of 100 high brass shells about 15 years ago. Still have most of em. Good god that thing's like hugging an angry mule.
Interesting, I've got a light O/U in 12 ga and don't find it at all objectionable, but it may also be that unlike the rifle, I'm shooting from a standing position.

It occurs to me that the recoil pads on all my guns are as old as they are, which in some cases is pre-1964....maybe a fresher pad would make 'em a bit more friendly.

Loading down is something I'm pondering eventually - supplies are in such short supply that getting data and materials to match is a challenge - and as a greenhorn at reloading, I'm not prepared to develop my own loads for obvious reasons.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:02 PM   #29603
Daamud
AAAAAYYY!

Oddometer: 2,128
Quote:
....I'm also going to have to strip that thick, shiny finish Remington used. It makes the wood look like it's made of plastic. Why would they put that awful finish on such a nice gun?

I'm gonna qoute this one more time .

How much is your time worth?

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/subgrouping.htm?cat=1212

I just bought a thumbhole stock in forest camo for my Rem 700 for around $120 shipped.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:23 PM   #29604
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,349
Just picked this up-

Savage 10P 308, "tactical"- 20" barrel, 5R rifling- massive bolt handle
Nice crown...

A bolt handle large enough to have it's own gravitational field

Old 05-02-2013, 10:39 PM   #29605
chappy
Porkchop Sandwiches

Oddometer: 1,847
Have to get some photos later but just picked up a No4 Mk2, '55 model, it is in great shape, still full of cosmoline.

Really like to get a Mk1 service issue one day but pretty psyched to take this one plinking.
chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:46 AM   #29606
soewe812
Wag more Bark less

Oddometer: 999
You're gonna love that one Signal.
soewe812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:28 AM   #29607
Heyload
Remastered Classic

Oddometer: 7,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmabbott888 View Post
What rifle do you have chambered in the 250 Savage? I've got an old Savage 99 that shoots great with cast slugs up to about 90 grains.

Love the Model 99, got mine from my Grandfather, chambered in .308. Pretty damned accurate and comfortable to carry in the field, but damn it can kick!

When life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
Heyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:47 AM   #29608
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by soewe812 View Post
You're gonna love that one Signal.
I believe you are correct...

Now to try to find ammoe....
Old 05-03-2013, 12:51 PM   #29609
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 11,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal View Post
I believe you are correct...

Now to try to find ammoe....
I have had a Savage 10 FCP-K for a couple of years. Not sexy or light, but a sweet shooter.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:39 PM   #29610
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf View Post
I have had a Savage 10 FCP-K for a couple of years. Not sexy or light, but a sweet shooter.
Excellent...(cue Mr Burns twittiling fingers)

I'm afriaid I'll curse my luck by saying, but poor shooting savage rifles in this arena seem very rare

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: