Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 854 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 08:40 PM   #29911
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout View Post
Totally valid complaints and why there are so many ways to fix those issues. Out of the box, the 10/22 is a pain, but a trip to RimfireCentral.com and a few hundred bux spent at Midway or GunKings can turn it into a decent semi.
I'm not the one with a boner for the 10/22, I'm looking for the forged barrel target model for myself.

Couple of hundred to fix a couple hundred dollar gun?is right....

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:42 PM   #29912
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
The reason the 10-22 doesn't act like a tactical rifle is because it aint. Sure you can make it more tactical but it is never going to be an AR15, they do (as far as I know) on those made for .22lr do bolt hold open and all the needed tactical stuff. Shoot, my marlin model 60 has a bolt open lever, but I can't remember if it stays open last round. However, it is a tube mag.
Yea, well, i don't want a tactical rifle, I'm not a tactical wannabee - the advantage of the bolt hold open is not pulling the trigger on an empty chamber.

I don't dislike the 10/22, I had one for years, swapped it for my son's Marlin 880 bolt action .22, because I use a lot less ammo that way.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:51 PM   #29913
blake716
nine toes

Oddometer: 11,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancowboy View Post
has anyone owned both the m&p 22 and the ruger sr22?

i've had the ruger for less than a year. after break-in it became very reliable and fun to shoot.

few weeks ago i decided that the (upside down) thumb safety/decocker was a critical problem. i reflexively turned the safety on when coming up on target bc it's reverse from 1911 thumb safety.

so i went to a gun shop and had them order an m&p22. i'm trading in the ruger for credit towards the smith. i hope it's worth the headache and expense.

then today i found the four extra mags i bought for the ruger. new in box. don't really want to get hosed again on a "trade-in." d'oh!

I was checking out both of them this weekend at my local gun store. I really want the M&P, but decided to do a little homework before I buy one. It seems like a lot of .22 auto pistols are really picky about the ammo you feed them.

Another option was to get an Advantage Arms .22 conversion kit for my G23. I like that idea, because I can practice with cheap ammo in my carry gun. It's just hard justify $275 for a conversion kit when I can get the M&P for only $75 more.

I was also checking out the ISSC M22. It closely resembles a Glock, but I've read mixed reviews about it.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:18 PM   #29914
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,541
Backwards Safety

That conversion kit looks like another 'backwards safety'.

JMB may not have gotten everything right but having a REACHABLE safety that worked in a natural direction was something every other manufacturer should have copied.

Haven't been shooting any of my autos except the USP, Glock, Mk II and 1911 for a while. I better get out the S&Ws because I honestly don't remember which way those safety levers go (might be why they haven't been out for a while).

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:26 AM   #29915
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 10,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
Yea, well, i don't want a tactical rifle, I'm not a tactical wannabee - the advantage of the bolt hold open is not pulling the trigger on an empty chamber.
When you guys talk about tactical versus non-tactical, what do you mean? I hear that term tossed about a lot these days in reference to rifles, and guess I have an impression, i.e., more military in styling, a few functional tweaks like maybe the bold hold-open feature you've been talking about, some Picatinny rails maybe, and a certain cosmetic look (black furniture, etc.), but what features really determine whether a rifle is "tactical" or not?

One of the reasons I ask is that last fall I was helping my GF pick out a hunting rifle for her 13 year-old son. Price was a concern and I found a 308 Remington 700 that was styled "tactical", had a shorter (I think it was 20" but it might have been 18") stiff semi-bull barrel and a black plastic stock. Other than that it appeared to me to be a fairly straightforward 308 bolt-action rifle, decently compact, functional for the woods hunting we do around here. She didn't like it because it was "too tactical" and ended up getting him something else with a brown wooden stock, but also a bolt action in 308.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:19 AM   #29916
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 31,265
What's he going to be hunting that requires a 308?
Old 07-02-2013, 09:56 AM   #29917
VTvfr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
MrsDonkeys and I have a doctor's appointment today. It's an ultrasound to see the baby, and hopefully to answer the big debate: boy or girl.

My money is on girl, she says boy. She's so confident that she made a little wager last night. Winner gets the gun of their choice up to $1000. Since it'll be in our safe no matter what, I can't see how I can lose.

Did I mention that I love my wife?

CONGRATS!!!
(so what's the result... oh, and the baby?)

And I can't see how you've gone wrong on ANY front!

'07 990 Adv
'07 250 XC-W
(plated)
'03 600RR
(track duty only now)
'94 VFR750 (sold)
VTvfr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:06 AM   #29918
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
I'm not the one with a boner for the 10/22, I'm looking for the forged barrel target model for myself.

Couple of hundred to fix a couple hundred dollar gun?is right....
I've got two 10/22s. One is a Ruger receiver and that's the last stock part. The other is a TacSol receiver with no Ruger parts on it...

Fun guns if you like to futz with your toys. They can be built up in just about combo imaginable.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:23 AM   #29919
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 8,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTvfr View Post
CONGRATS!!!
(so what's the result... oh, and the baby?)

And I can't see how you've gone wrong on ANY front!
It's a shotgun! Meaning we're having a boy. I scoped out my local gun store (Ed's in Vass, NC) yesterday, and he had quite a selection of new and used shotguns. He normally does anyway since he keeps about 3,000 guns in stock, but the pickings were ripe for a 5'1" woman looking for an over/under.

Much to my surprise, she passed on the Browning Citori and picked a used Franchi Alcione with 12 and 20 ga barrels. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics.

I bought 500 shells along with it, half in each gauge. Looks like we figured out what to do for the 4th.

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:35 PM   #29920
urbancowboy
Vicious Cycler

Oddometer: 1,766
Quote:
It's a shotgun! Meaning we're having a boy.

congrats on both additions to your family!

it'll be cool when you teach your son to shoot the gun you bought on this occasion.
urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:37 PM   #29921
milq
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
When you guys talk about tactical versus non-tactical, what do you mean? I hear that term tossed about a lot these days in reference to rifles, and guess I have an impression, i.e., more military in styling, a few functional tweaks like maybe the bold hold-open feature you've been talking about, some Picatinny rails maybe, and a certain cosmetic look (black furniture, etc.), but what features really determine whether a rifle is "tactical" or not?
You pretty much hit the nail on the head in my opinion. Manufacturers caught on that a lot if people wanted the flat black look and to hang all manner of stuff from their guns and responded. Functionality is rarely affected but not always.

The .308 Rem you mentioned sounds like an SPS (something police something) and I have one. I actually bought it for the action and bolt, because it was on sale cheaper than I could get the bare action. I intended to add a longer barrel and a better stock. Once I got a good stock (HS precision from a Rem Sendero) I discovered the 20" barrel performs very well, so it's still there.

At first touch I liked the Hogue rubberized stock too, but it flexes like crazy. The rifles own weight sitting on a bipod caused the barrel to hit the stock, so it had to go.

The HS stock is a bit longer so the rifle looks a but odd now with the short barrel but it works well and is easy to handle and transport.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:10 PM   #29922
Tmaximusv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake716 View Post
I was checking out both of them this weekend at my local gun store. I really want the M&P, but decided to do a little homework before I buy one. It seems like a lot of .22 auto pistols are really picky about the ammo you feed them.

I was also checking out the ISSC M22. It closely resembles a Glock, but I've read mixed reviews about it.

I was looking hard for an M&P 22 but ended up buying an ISSC M22 from a fellow who used it for his CC, then sold the beast. He also had bought 3 extra mags for the thing and it all came to me for $350. (yay me! )

That said, it's only got 200 rounds of CCI MiniMag through it (can't find any more) and tried a couple of mags of Federal bulk through it. 50/50 on the Federal and 100% on the CCI. I think it will eventually cycle the Federal when it is truly broken in.

I did quite a bit of reading up when this came available and all of the issues seem to be related to ammunition choice and the front sight falling out (which has remedies).
Old 07-02-2013, 01:47 PM   #29923
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,845
Quote:
It's a shotgun!
Franchi Alcione with 12 and 20 ga barrels.

I bought 500 shells along with it, half in each gauge. Looks like we figured out what to do for the 4th.

So cool. I love a nice "twice barrel". (an old Cajun I knew called'em that)
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:17 PM   #29924
gatling
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,265
Cast bullets in my .30 06 B-78...

'10 California Scooter (my Baja Blaster!)
gatling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:44 PM   #29925
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 31,265
What mold?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: