Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 715 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013, 02:09 PM   #29926
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
What's he going to be hunting that requires a 308?
Mostly deer, but elk also.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:18 PM   #29927
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
When you guys talk about tactical versus non-tactical, what do you mean? I hear that term tossed about a lot these days in reference to rifles, and guess I have an impression, i.e., more military in styling, a few functional tweaks like maybe the bold hold-open feature you've been talking about, some Picatinny rails maybe, and a certain cosmetic look (black furniture, etc.), but what features really determine whether a rifle is "tactical" or not?

One of the reasons I ask is that last fall I was helping my GF pick out a hunting rifle for her 13 year-old son. Price was a concern and I found a 308 Remington 700 that was styled "tactical", had a shorter (I think it was 20" but it might have been 18") stiff semi-bull barrel and a black plastic stock. Other than that it appeared to me to be a fairly straightforward 308 bolt-action rifle, decently compact, functional for the woods hunting we do around here. She didn't like it because it was "too tactical" and ended up getting him something else with a brown wooden stock, but also a bolt action in 308.
To me, "Tactical" means that it looks similar to an AR-15 - pistol grip, ventilated barrel cover, pickatinny rails, big box magazines, flash hider, some kind of high eye point sight, bipods...typically all in black.

What you saw in that .308 is that they give you a black stock, short heavy barrel it's a [god help me] 'tactical sniper rifle' meaning shorter range...

Actually that's a pretty good choice for a guy doing woods hunting - I'm told that in reality a 20" barrel is fine for a good distance.

the only real advantage to a synthetic stock is that they are water proof.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:52 PM   #29928
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,623
One could argue that the shorter barrel is stiffer and therefore provides a more accurate barrel, at the cost of velocity (to a point).

Tactical in my mind means it gives an advantage militarily. A shorter, heavier barrel, certainly may give a tactical advantage in an urban environment; especially where the shots (and follow up) must be very accurate, but the distances may not require additional velocity. Really though, you pick the bullet that works too, so it's all a matter of variables. A sniper rifle may have a longer barrel and that may provide a tactical advantage for the right shooter in the right environment.

I consider the Rem 700 SPS (Tactical) to be a tactical rifle, but that doesn't take away from the fact it could be the perfect hunting rifle, depending on the conditions.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:21 PM   #29929
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,557
Retirement gift from my wife!

Retirement gift from my wife! She has good taste.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:10 PM   #29930
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg View Post
Retirement gift from my wife! She has good taste.

Wow, nice Chicago Typewriter.

Did she give you an endowment for the .45 ACP to feed it too?

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:31 PM   #29931
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,508
Thompson

Never having fired one I an certainly not qualified to offer my opinion. My dad however carried one across quite a bit of Europe. He hated his pretty much just because of the weight. Once he 'found' a 1911, he tried at least twice to 'lose' the Thompson but it kept being found and returned. I don't recall him saying which he had with him when he was shot and captured but that would be a whole other story.
I can recall when Thompsons (Auto-Ordinance?) were fairly common and (compared to today) affordable but having often heard his opinion I never more that picked one off the rack for a look. I don't walk much of anywhere anymore so the weight wouldn't be an issue, klnda wish I had gotten one (and a lot of other things) back then.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:49 AM   #29932
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,527
The I LOVE THIS GUN Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Escape View Post
Never having fired one I an certainly not qualified to offer my opinion. My dad however carried one across quite a bit of Europe. He hated his pretty much just because of the weight. Once he 'found' a 1911, he tried at least twice to 'lose' the Thompson but it kept being found and returned. I don't recall him saying which he had with him when he was shot and captured but that would be a whole other story.
I can recall when Thompsons (Auto-Ordinance?) were fairly common and (compared to today) affordable but having often heard his opinion I never more that picked one off the rack for a look. I don't walk much of anywhere anymore so the weight wouldn't be an issue, klnda wish I had gotten one (and a lot of other things) back then.

Bruce
Bruce, I carried one in Vietnam for a while but, like you dad, I didn't care for it because of the weight and the weight of the ammo. I ended up trading it for an M-3 "Grease Gun." and liked it much better. It was easier to control and definitely weighed less:

. . . . . long time ago.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend

mikegc screwed with this post 07-03-2013 at 10:16 AM
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:56 AM   #29933
tcs06
The Clueless Wonder

Oddometer: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegc View Post
Bruce, I carried one in Vietnam for a while but, like you dad, I didn't care for because of the weight and the weight of the ammo. I ended up trading it for an M-3 "Grease Gun." and liked it much better. It was easier to control and definitely weighed less:

. . . . . long time ago.

Mike
Respect.
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise.
tcs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:13 AM   #29934
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,527
The I LOVE THIS GUN Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs06 View Post
Respect.

My humble thanks, TCS.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:26 PM   #29935
gatling
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegc View Post
Bruce, I carried one in Vietnam for a while but, like you dad, I didn't care for it because of the weight and the weight of the ammo. I ended up trading it for an M-3 "Grease Gun." and liked it much better. It was easier to control and definitely weighed less:

. . . . . long time ago.

Mike
Thank you for your service.
'10 California Scooter (my Baja Blaster!)
gatling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:53 PM   #29936
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatling View Post
thank you for your service.
+1

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:02 PM   #29937
gatling
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,224
'10 California Scooter (my Baja Blaster!)
gatling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:31 PM   #29938
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,508
Quote:

That is odd. My brass rarely 'resurfaces' while cleaning and if it does it is always full of media. Might be the ratio of brass to media, my batches (like most everything else) are much smaller these days. I really do like the clear lid!

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:46 PM   #29939
BigIron
Tenured Prof - Leghump U.

Oddometer: 779
Quote:
Thank you for your service.
And my thanks as well. We all owe you one (or two).
BigIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:34 PM   #29940
DMZ
Castor Bean Addict

Oddometer: 10,068
Bought this Remington 1911 because it resembles the look and especially the feel of the A1 I was issued and occasionally carried when I was in the US Army. I also am looking for a leather GI holster and some ammo pouches.

Anyway, I took it out to the pit for some break in shooting and fired this group at 7 meters off-hand.

Got excited and pulled the last shot down and left.

It is a bit more accurate than the parts bin 1911 I qual'ed with back in 1971.

I think I will keep it.
DMZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: