Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 849 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 07:27 AM   #30196
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
New Single Ten got here today. Man, is this thing ever LITTLE!! Perfect for cape buffalo! HEHE
Lyle
Are .22 Mag cylinders available like the original Single Six convertibles?

I had one of those and foolishly sold it.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:47 AM   #30197
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Are .22 Mag cylinders available like the original Single Six convertibles?

I had one of those and foolishly sold it.
I do not believe they are. The hard part is finding .22 mags to put in the thing. .38 Special is about the same price to feed! I'm wondering how it will shoot with shorts in it......very....quiet....Shhhh!
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:53 AM   #30198
skysailor
Rat Rider

ArmaLite AR15 advice needed.
These things are so restricted in Canada! We have to treat them like BIG hand guns. i.e. Range ONLY. Which is Okay, since I don't hunt, the range is cheap, and closer to my house than a really good gravel pit anyway.
I know nothing about them. I'd like one with iron sights for target work, that I could later add good optics to. National Match model? 20"? Like to keep it .223 so it could share lunch with my Mini 14. Thoughts?
Lyle
Old 08-20-2013, 08:22 AM   #30199
DMZ
Castor Bean Addict

Oddometer: 10,079
Quote:
These things are so restricted in Canada! We have to treat them like BIG hand guns. i.e. Range ONLY. Which is Okay, since I don't hunt, the range is cheap, and closer to my house than a really good gravel pit anyway.
I know nothing about them. I'd like one with iron sights for target work, that I could later add good optics to. National Match model? 20"? Like to keep it .223 so it could share lunch with my Mini 14. Thoughts?
Lyle

Armalite is one of the better makers. Good, chrome lined barrels. Excellent two stage triggers. M4 feed ramps and staked bolt carrier key. While no civilian AR is really "Mil-Spec'" the Armalite is very close.

If you are interested in target shooting get the 20" Nat Match model, which has the mid-length gas system.

As far as I know all Armalite NM AR-15's are chambered .223 Wylde, which is a good thing as you should not shoot 5.56 in it. It also has a Nat Match trigger. 1 MOA for $1,400 is a very good buy.
DMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:42 AM   #30200
skysailor
Rat Rider

Is the .223 Wylde the same as a .223 Rem? Same ammo as the Mini14?
Lyle
Old 08-20-2013, 08:47 AM   #30201
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,541
Laugh "Barbie For Men"

Quote:
Lyle

Does it have to be Armalite or is any AR acceptable?
For range only use you might as well have the advantages (sight radius, ballistics, weight) of a 20" (or longer) barrel.
5.56 will give you more ammo choices than .223 (and still shoot .223), many but not all mfgs. chamber for 5.56 routinely.
If you may want to shoot long range, consider a faster twist barrel (at least 1:9 but 1:7 or 8 for the heavier, i.e. longer bullets).
If you want to start with iron sights but add optics later get a flat top configuration. There are scope mounts to fit the 'integral carry handle/sight' upper design but they really give new meaning to the word compromise! Many are not bothered by having a fixed front sight in front of an optic. With a scope, I never noticed the sight but with a red dot type sight I found it very distracting and finally changed to a folding sight. Were I starting over I might get something with a 'rail section' on the gas block and have both sights removable.

You understand what a slippery slope you are standing on? There are perhaps more configurations and accessories for ARs than any other firearm. There was an ad that showed dozens and dozens of products for ARs that simply said "Barbie For Men"
One big plus is that in heavily regulated areas, you can have one 'lower' but a plethora of uppers so it can be like shooting a different rifle every week without having to go through the buying process more than once.
Enjoy!

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225

Fire Escape screwed with this post 08-20-2013 at 08:48 AM Reason: spelling
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:54 AM   #30202
DMZ
Castor Bean Addict

Oddometer: 10,079
Quote:
Lyle
From Wiki:

The .223 Wylde is a proprietary rifle cartridge chamber with the external dimensions and lead angle as found in the military 5.5645mm NATO cartridge and the 0.2240 inch freebore diameter as found in the civilian SAAMI .223 Remington cartridge. Rifles with a .223 Wylde chamber will typically accept both .223 Remington and externally slightly larger 5.5645mm NATO ammunition.

The .223 Wylde hybrid chamber was designed by Bill Wylde of Greenup, IL to exploit the accuracy advantages of the .223 Remington chambering without pressure problems or compromising the functional reliability of (semi) automatic weapons like the AR-15 family when using 5.5645mm NATO military ammunition. Coincidentally, it shoots the relatively long and heavy 80-grain (5.18 g) bullets commonly used in the sport of Highpower Rifle Competition very well and is one of the preferred chambers for that use. The Wylde chamber is used by a few rifle manufacturers who sell "National Match" configuration AR-15 rifles, barrels, and upper receivers.

Armalite NM barrels have a 1:8 twist and will stabilize bullets up to 80 grains.
DMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:01 AM   #30203
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,541
Quote:
Lyle
The .223 Wylde is not a cartridge itself. It is a 'custom' chamber design which is supposed to allow for better reliability in semi-auto use but maintain accuracy.
I thought the Wylde (don't have one .... yet) would allow use of 5.56 ammo but I could be mistaken.

The two differences between .223 and 5.56 that I am aware of are that the 5.56 operates at higher pressure and that the chamber of a 5.56 is usually cut a bit longer to accommodate longer bullets and allow a bit more 'jump' before they contact the rifling (which keeps the pressure down a touch).
.223 will absolutely work safely in a rifle chambered for 5.56! Firing a 5.56 round in a minimum spec. .223 chamber could create high pressures so not all AR mfgs. (from what I hear, again don't own any) rate their rifles to fire 5.56.

Bruce

EDIT: Apparently I type to slow!
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:07 AM   #30204
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,493
My SPR is wylde chambered.
Wylde runs 556 and 223 more accurately
Old 08-20-2013, 09:23 AM   #30205
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,757
As stated, get a flat-top model if you expect to put optics on it. Wylde is good.

Why are you considering the AR? Is it because it's an AR, or do you like .223 cal/5.56mm? Do you like the ability to accessorize? I'm just wondering. After a decade or so of owning an AR I came to realize I just never liked it much. I think there are better rifles out there for most of the things I like out of a rifle. Maybe you too?

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:27 AM   #30206
duckman
"sic gorgiamus allos

Oddometer: 888
build your own skysailor . if i could do it so can you. buy a stripped upper and lower. then research each part as you go.its very rewarding , informative and fun. the rifle will mean more to you after its done, because you built it and its the only one with that combination of parts. i built three flat topped ar's, a olive green upper and lower with rock river bolt and 16 inch rock river bull barrel. a sand color upper and lower with a match grade stainless 18 inch barrel and a nickel boron bolt. then a black upper and lower with a spikes tact. bolt and 14.5 inch pencil barrel .all three have nickel boron fire control groups. from what i've been told the ar platform is the only rifle that you don't need to check the head spacing when you build it yourself. i found that out when i looked into building an ak47 .
and no do rags
'we gladly feast on those who would subdue us'
duckman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:56 AM   #30207
Tripl Nikl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,961
Quote:
Lyle
I *think* short barreled rifles aren't a big deal up there. You should build a short-barreled rifle just to make all your southern neighbors jealous!

EDIT: Of course it couldn't be quite that easy. Apparently it's important to Canadian authorities that the barrel be unmodified. However, *if* the barrel was factory made at a shorter length then apparently that's not a big deal? Weird. I guess that it means that going to Canadian gun forums and ask specific questions among it's members--that's likely to be the best guidance.

Anyway, here's a site that let me know that it's not as easy as I thought: http://nfa.ca/resource-items/barrel-...rearms-lengths

Tripl Nikl screwed with this post 08-20-2013 at 10:05 AM
Tripl Nikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:46 PM   #30208
skysailor
Rat Rider

Our gun laws are fucked. My Mini 14 has a shorter barrel than an AR with a 20". Both are semi auto. Both are restricted to 5 rounds. The Mini can be used anywhere while the AR is as restricted as a hand gun. I don't understand it. Can't expect you guys to.
Lyle
Old 08-20-2013, 05:09 PM   #30209
boxermoose
Now fully goosed

Oddometer: 2,841
Quote:
Our gun laws are fucked. My Mini 14 has a shorter barrel than an AR with a 20". Both are semi auto. Both are restricted to 5 rounds. The Mini can be used anywhere while the AR is as restricted as a hand gun. I don't understand it. Can't expect you guys to.
Lyle
Big bad evil pistol grip - thank Mark Lepine
Old 08-20-2013, 07:58 PM   #30210
skysailor
Rat Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxermoose View Post
Big bad evil pistol grip - thank Mark Lepine
Pretty sure he used a Mini 14. No pistol grip......or are you referring to his mag!
Lyle

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: