Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 714 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 09-24-2013, 10:39 AM   #30421
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
I've owned several .22 pistols and the Browning and Ruger offerings are probably what I would stick with unless you want something specific. Buckmarks and Mark IIIs are very good .22LR

Thanks a bunch ! yes those seem to regularly get rave reviews .
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:59 AM   #30422
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
with todays lunch run to the range I have put 2100 rounds through the Springfield Armory XDM 9mm compact. All kinds of ammo even crappy steel jacketed wolf . Love this pistol , it shoots great , cleans easily and keeps shooting.
I too have the XDM 9mm compact and love the gun. My favorite handgun is the 1911 because it fits my hand the best and the single stage trigger is perfect. I've shot a couple of Glocks and can't hit the broad side of a barn with them (19 and 26). This XDM however sits well in my hand. The trigger feels like a Glock to me and I suspect is common of all safe action pistols these days. For it's intended purpose I can't complain.

I think Springfield also was smart in their packaging of the gun. Giving the buyer a holster, mag holster, and a couple of different back straps is a perfect entry level system.
McNeal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:59 AM   #30423
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNeal View Post
I too have the XDM 9mm compact and love the gun. My favorite handgun is the 1911 because it fits my hand the best and the single stage trigger is perfect. I've shot a couple of Glocks and can't hit the broad side of a barn with them (19 and 26). This XDM however sits well in my hand. The trigger feels like a Glock to me and I suspect is common of all safe action pistols these days. For it's intended purpose I can't complain.

I think Springfield also was smart in their packaging of the gun. Giving the buyer a holster, mag holster, and a couple of different back straps is a perfect entry level system.
Except they need a lefty option on the holsters.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:45 PM   #30424
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinfuzz View Post
I have a bodyguard .380 . I like it wife hates it. She had rather shoot the XDs 9mm and .45 . Safety on the bodyguard is a PIA ,no way to take it off in a pressure situation and the laser on and off sucks also . Mind I don't have it in the 9mm .
Don't use it! It should not even have one IMHO.

My wife and I both carry them. I had the Ruger LCP, she carried a Beretta 3032. When I got a Bodyguard 380 she shot it and ran out to get one the next week.
True, the laser is useless in a real, sudden self-defense situation but you really won't need a laser then anyway, point and shoot.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:47 PM   #30425
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Well, I still have the Sig and no Diamondback. The gun was misrepresented as a 1969, and had no box or papers. IF it has had a trigger like the one I had in 1968 and had indeed been a 1968 I would have still done it but I am glad I kept the Sig as it is one fine gun and a incredible shooter.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:48 PM   #30426
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
True, but then again I know quite a few lefties who are ambidextrous. Okay, I know at least one who's ambidextrous and that's me.

I've always practiced with both hands and I've got a lefty holster for my 1911 and the righty for the XDM. I would like to find a nice lefty holster for the XDM though.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:52 PM   #30427
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
True, but then again I know quite a few lefties who are ambidextrous. Okay, I know at least one who's ambidextrous and that's me.

I've always practiced with both hands and I've got a lefty holster for my 1911 and the righty for the XDM. I would like to find a nice lefty holster for the XDM though.
Only about 10% of all shooters are REALLY ambi, and many shooters don't (although they should) train weak side as well. However, NONE of the ambi shooters I have ever met will CCW weak side....ever. I suggest NOT going that far as well. It is great to train weak side but you want to ccw on the strong side for sure.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:26 PM   #30428
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,595
Quote:
+2(I got two of them )

I kinda recall something about being able to write a letter to Springfield and getting a voucher for a left hand holster.

I bought the XDM for myself, the wife liked it so much she commandeered it, so I bought another. Now I'm keeping my eye out for a third as my daughter prefers it over any of the other 9's in the safe.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:54 PM   #30429
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,140
Quote:

yep that was icing on the cake. This thread had a lot to do with my purchase of the XDM. Very informative reading. Thanks all .
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:22 PM   #30430
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

An XDM might be my next gun purchase in 9mm.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:22 PM   #30431
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Only about 10% of all shooters are REALLY ambi, and many shooters don't (although they should) train weak side as well. However, NONE of the ambi shooters I have ever met will CCW weak side....ever. I suggest NOT going that far as well. It is great to train weak side but you want to ccw on the strong side for sure.
I agree that one should only CCW strong side. My remark about having one holster for each side was a bit flippant and should have had a smiley after the comment. I started to practice weak side shooting years ago after someone had given me some sound advice. In bullseye competition there would be a difference in my score depending on which side I shot from. In a shit hitting the fan situation I doubt anyone would know and I certainly hope to never find out.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:20 PM   #30432
chriso
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Alright so we don't have much to do with pistols in Aus so I know next to nothing about them, only way we can own one is to be part of a club and only use it at said club, looking at joining a club, my question is what fun little semi auto should I get? I'm pretty sure we are limited o a maximum of 357mag and they can't be real small, not sure in exact length limits we have, I sell a lot of 9mm ammo through work and the boys use glocks and the like, I like the look of the rugers but are they any good? I like there rifles. We have no such thing as self defence in Australia and hunting with handguns is out so knock down power is not an issue
chriso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:34 PM   #30433
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,621
.22LR, Browning Buckmark or Ruger Mark III
.380, Beretta 84/85
.38/.357, Ruger GP100, SP101, Blackhawk, Vaquero

Those are easy to shoot and not overly expensive to shoot. Beretta is a bit more expensive than some others, but I've owned at least a few and like them very much. Ruger is my favorite revolver and I like revolvers more than semis.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:49 PM   #30434
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriso View Post
Alright so we don't have much to do with pistols in Aus so I know next to nothing about them, only way we can own one is to be part of a club and only use it at said club, looking at joining a club, my question is what fun little semi auto should I get? I'm pretty sure we are limited o a maximum of 357mag and they can't be real small, not sure in exact length limits we have, I sell a lot of 9mm ammo through work and the boys use glocks and the like, I like the look of the rugers but are they any good? I like there rifles. We have no such thing as self defence in Australia and hunting with handguns is out so knock down power is not an issue
Well no self defense or hunting, so go with a 22. As the last post said Buckmark or Mark III, also the S&W 22A and Beretta U22 Neos. I own at least one of all of them except the Buckmark.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:58 PM   #30435
chriso
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Just had a look at the mkIII, they look pretty cool,accurate? Fussy? What model would you go for?
chriso is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: