Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 619 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 10-06-2013, 10:54 AM   #30571
DMZ
Castor Bean Addict

Oddometer: 10,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsport View Post
I have the Lux version, lefty as well. It is a very nice gun. I haven't decided yet if I want to scope mine.
I scoped my 452, but given that it has some of the best sights on any rifle, and that it is a rimfire, I pulled it off. Lighter, funner to shoot.
DMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:27 AM   #30572
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldrider555 View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I'm really eyeing those henry lever guns at the moment though. Any one have experience with those?

I've got to stand up for the Henry. This pic was from the rimfire thread in 2011. I have still not had a missfire and have fed it everything.Luck mabee because I shoot a bunch of bulk ammo and am second guessing some of my other guns blaming ammoe.

A quote from my post two years ago. I tried to make it fail shooting everything out of it even my truck shells which is a mix of everything. It shot everyone without a hiccup.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
NDEBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:43 AM   #30573
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,100
After reading my post I realized that mabe it is because it is the only .22 I clean after every time taking it out. It is a beautifull affordable gun that has ties from watching old westerns when I was a kid and is makes it so much fun to shoot. I love autos but a bolt or lever or pump action lets you enjoy shooting IMO. Plus it is beautiful.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
NDEBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:48 PM   #30574
worldrider555
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDEBT View Post
After reading my post I realized that mabe it is because it is the only .22 I clean after every time taking it out. It is a beautifull affordable gun that has ties from watching old westerns when I was a kid and is makes it so much fun to shoot. I love autos but a bolt or lever or pump action lets you enjoy shooting IMO. Plus it is beautiful.

Great looking gun, I may still have to buy one someday. As luck would have it I found a nice Savage mark ii for sale locally. Going to pick it up later for $100, seems like a good deal to me.
worldrider555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:04 PM   #30575
redsport
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
I'm thinking about a Marlin 336 30-30 for deer hunting. Any good or bad experiences with this model? Looking at the youth model for 2 reasons: compact size would work well in my tree stand, and so it will fit my 9yo better for starting him shooting.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:15 PM   #30576
RonS
Out there...

Oddometer: 17,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDEBT View Post

They do make a nice firearm.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:44 PM   #30577
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,253
Quote:
I'm thinking about a Marlin 336 30-30 for deer hunting. Any good or bad experiences with this model? Looking at the youth model for 2 reasons: compact size would work well in my tree stand, and so it will fit my 9yo better for starting him shooting.
The Marlin 336 is a good lever action - better IMO than the Winchester 94 (a rifle I grew up with) and the .30-30 is a good all around cartridge.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:02 PM   #30578
ouray rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Dont

I work at a commercial range 30 hrs a week. I have not seen a single Solo work yet
Cant say anything bad about the rest of the Kimber line though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg View Post
I went with the Kahr. The Kimber is prettier, but after much comparison I think the Kahr's feel, and workmanship is on top. IMHO
Very happy with my PM9.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:37 PM   #30579
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,276
Quote:
I own one of the older models, but the standard 336C none the less. I shot with some handloads, a two shot group of 1/2" with iron sights at 50 yards and a 3 shot group of 1" at same range.

Mine is not pretty - the furniture is cheap. It's MUCH easier to fit a scope to the Marlin due to the solid receiver top - no funky offset mount required. The cartridge is a classic and is easy to load yourself if you want - I use the Lee factory crimp die set.

Mine came with a solid butt stock, make sure you fit a recoil pad for your boy or he'll get a good flinch - it's mild compared to an '06 but still, it boots ya.

Now, there are rumors about the quality of current production models, but I don't have anything with which to back up what I've heard. Used one are easy to come by - I was at the Cabela's near by and they had probably a dozen in the used gun racks. I bought mine used many years ago, still one of my favorites to take to the range.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #30580
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,725
Quote:
I shot both of my deer with just the gun you describe. The sights suck but if you are looking at one you probably aren't taking any long shots. 30-30 gets the job done on deer but you are probably going to have to track the animal a little ways even if you get it in the boiler room.

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:18 PM   #30581
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouray rider View Post
I work at a commercial range 30 hrs a week. I have not seen a single Solo work yet
I have never seen a solo but have had probably 12 Kimber 1911s and all have been excellent. BUT all have been pre-II.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:49 PM   #30582
urbancowboy
Vicious Cycler

Oddometer: 1,738
Quote:
get either a brand new (recent production) one or a pre-remington one. the models made a few years ago apparently had the problems. the remlins.

plenty of used ones out there. enthusiasts like the pre cross bolt safety ones better, but you'll have to make your own judgement if that safety isn't helpful.
urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:13 AM   #30583
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouray rider View Post
Where is your range? I'll bring mine by for you. It cycles like a sewing machine if you are using 125gr + BRASS ammo.

Throw Tulammo in it and you're going to have problems. Kimber has made no secret of this. I got one of the first ones made, and the information was right there in the box.

Speer makes a 125gr 9mm lead roundnose bullet that runs great for target ammo and practice. I carry it with 147gr though.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:51 AM   #30584
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
Where is your range? I'll bring mine by for you. It cycles like a sewing machine if you are using 125gr + BRASS ammo.

Throw Tulammo in it and you're going to have problems. Kimber has made no secret of this. I got one of the first ones made, and the information was right there in the box.

Speer makes a 125gr 9mm lead roundnose bullet that runs great for target ammo and practice. I carry it with 147gr though.
Without data on ammo, whether the gun was being broken in or not - saying that a Solo at a range doesn't run isn't too helpful. It is a pocket pistol and a somewhat unique design that needs to be broken in, so some examples may not work correctly at first.

Saw Hitchcock demo on on Youtube and it worked fine until he tried 115 grain loads and he had 2 out of three rounds fail to function.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:56 AM   #30585
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee View Post
The Marlin 336 is a good lever action - better IMO than the Winchester 94 (a rifle I grew up with) and the .30-30 is a good all around cartridge.
I have to agree. I had a '94. Only gun I ever sold. I made all kinds of noise when cycled and it tosses a spent shell up into your line of sight or worse, your face. A friend has a 336 and I like it way more.

I bought a Savage 170 Pump in .30-30 to replace the '94.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: