User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 786 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 11-23-2013, 08:12 AM   #31231
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,203
I've been watching forever to find that exact rifle around here. Good find!

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:33 AM   #31232
gatling
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,243
'10 California Scooter (my Baja Blaster!)
gatling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:35 AM   #31233
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkitna View Post
The Marlin 336 I bought

You made me go look at my marlin lever gun again. It's a 1991 production 1894cs .357. Don't know if that's a good vintage or not, but I do know even though it's 22 years old, it's yet to be shot.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #31234
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
P-227

Hasn't been around long enough to be a favorite gun but I did stop off on the way home from the Sig Academy to put 50 rounds through the new P-227. I don't expect to ever shoot it as well as a 1911 but with 10+1 and nite sights it will have it's 'niche'.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 02:58 PM   #31235
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
You made me go look at my marlin lever gun again. It's a 1991 production 1894cs .357. Don't know if that's a good vintage or not, but I do know even though it's 22 years old, it's yet to be shot.
I was looking this week at a Rossi 357 Lever Action. Not sure why the idea of cowboy action appeals to me so much.
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 04:29 PM   #31236
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyRascal View Post
Never had the chance to handle a 41, but a while back I ended up with a Hi Standard Victor. Probably a very close facsimile of the 41. My gosh is it a pleasure to shoot.

Had one for a long time (25 years?) and sold it a few years ago, what the hell was I thinking?

Recently bought a Browning Buckmark, nice gun, but it's certainly no Victor.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:00 PM   #31237
wild0
Rubber duck

Oddometer: 524
This is my favourite toy. Rem 700 police in 300wm, with a 20moa rail and 6x24 FFP MOA vortex. Now sporting a rather large brake and a painted stock

EDIT: and a big AICS magazine and atlas DBM ;)

My current ride.

wild0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:40 PM   #31238
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Had one for a long time (25 years?) and sold it a few years ago, what the hell was I thinking?

That's funny, I wanted a target type 22, and bought a Buckmark. Shortly after that, I ended up getting the Hi Standard. Still have the Buckmark, and it's a fine pistol, but you're right--it's no Hi Standard.

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:56 AM   #31239
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,170
XDM love revisited

Took Action Pistol Beginner class yesterday at a local outdoor range. Was the best $20 I've spent in a long time ! Got to shoot two stages they had set up.
Was happy with how well I was able to draw from a holster and shoot accurately. This was my first time using a holster. Will take the MKIII to the next steel challenge they have in December.
might have to sell motorcycles/bicycles to afford my shooting habit.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 12:14 PM   #31240
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post

The Buckmark is a fine pistol, but I have seen nothing that can hold a candle to a High Standard target gun. The S&W 41 is close, but it is no Victor (or Trophy), either.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 01:51 PM   #31241
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 10,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinhilo View Post
The Buckmark is a fine pistol, but I have seen nothing that can hold a candle to a High Standard target gun. The S&W 41 is close, but it is no Victor (or Trophy), either.
I dunno, I've never shot a Victor or Trophy. But the 41 is damned good. When I got out of the Army in the spring of '72 I returned home and signed up for a pistol course (called "Pistolry") at the local community college. The requirements were to have hearing protectors and a .22 handgun with adjustable sights. I didn't have a .22 so I borrowed my dad's 41 and used it for the course. The instructor had a hi-zoot Hi Standard of some sort, and he was a real good bullseye target shooter. He tried the 41 out one day and decided he wanted to buy one. Most of the students in that class shot Ruger .22 semi-autos, and a few had S&W K-22 revolvers. Anyway, I am not a competitive-level bullseye shooter, but when I bought my own 41 in 1978 I used it to shoot a lot of gophers (Columbia Ground Squirrels, actually) over the next several years, and was convinced that I could shoot it as well as I could a .22 rifle with iron sights at any range. Hunting gophers with a .22 handgun was a hoot.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 06:15 PM   #31242
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
I dunno, I've never shot a Victor or Trophy. But the 41 is damned good. When I got out of the Army in the spring of '72 I returned home and signed up for a pistol course (called "Pistolry") at the local community college. The requirements were to have hearing protectors and a .22 handgun with adjustable sights. I didn't have a .22 so I borrowed my dad's 41 and used it for the course. The instructor had a hi-zoot Hi Standard of some sort, and he was a real good bullseye target shooter. He tried the 41 out one day and decided he wanted to buy one. Most of the students in that class shot Ruger .22 semi-autos, and a few had S&W K-22 revolvers. Anyway, I am not a competitive-level bullseye shooter, but when I bought my own 41 in 1978 I used it to shoot a lot of gophers (Columbia Ground Squirrels, actually) over the next several years, and was convinced that I could shoot it as well as I could a .22 rifle with iron sights at any range. Hunting gophers with a .22 handgun was a hoot.
I certainly don't mean to give the impression that there is anything wrong with the 41. The High Standards IMHO have better (adjustable) triggers and sights than the 41, and they fit some folks better than the Smith.

When I was shooting bullseye pistol, I had a buddy that had a 41, while I had and still have a Citation (same as a Trophy without the gold trigger). Mine was more reliable than the Smith since occasionally a spent case would hang up on the barrel extension. The Citation has nothing to trap a mis-ejected case. We also saw an occasional case hang in one of the other guy's Victors. It has a similar full length rib that runs over top of the slide.

I guess that maybe now that my eyes are slowly going south a Victor or a 41 might be advantageous so I could mount an optical sight without the thing being so danged muzzle heavy.

I would really rather shoot 22s out of my Model 18 Combat Masterpiece any way.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:19 AM   #31243
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
I used it to shoot a lot of gophers (Columbia Ground Squirrels, actually) over the next several years, and was convinced that I could shoot it as well as I could a .22 rifle with iron sights at any range. Hunting gophers with a .22 handgun was a hoot.
Hey we should shoot some squirrels this spring, I'll bring my Hi Standard and you bring your 41. (Might have some beer too). Scientific pistol performance comparison.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:20 AM   #31244
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 10,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyRascal View Post
Hey we should shoot some squirrels this spring, I'll bring my Hi Standard and you bring your 41. (Might have some beer too). Scientific pistol performance comparison.

Yer on!

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:31 AM   #31245
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,708

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote