User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 658 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 12-02-2013, 07:04 AM   #31276
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,657
Had to share this with you guys. Who wants a free poster of all common US ammo, weights, and bullet sizes? This guy. Free for the cost of printing at home....

http://www.quietoperator.com/wp-cont...let-poster.jpg
Old 12-02-2013, 07:44 AM   #31277
engineman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
I want to like the trainer, but the long-ass barrel turns me off a bit. The Lux appears to have the same sights and a walnut stock with a slightly shorter barrel for a little more money...
Have the trainer and looove it. Barrel length is a personal preference of course but the longer sight radius really helps with accuracy. This rifle is extremely accurate and a joy to shoot.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2
engineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:44 AM   #31278
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,038
Ran around 100 rounds of 357 and 38 thru the Henry this weekend.

Pros: 1. heavy gun feels good shooting it. 2. Cheaper than rifle ammo 3. Pretty gun 4. easy bolt assembly make cleaning easier.

Cons: 1. still has issues picking up and chambering 357 rounds at times. 2. pretty gun, hate to actually take it out for hunting where it could get banged up 3. Tube feed magazine requires reloading thru the tube like a 22 cal.

Gun if fun to shoot and I found shooting partially frozen tin cans with 357 rounds to be especially rewarding.
2006 KLR650
2001 YX426 (street Legal)
buildit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:24 AM   #31279
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post

Pros: 1. heavy gun feels good shooting it. 2. Cheaper than rifle ammo 3. Pretty gun 4. easy bolt assembly make cleaning easier.

Cons: 1. still has issues picking up and chambering 357 rounds at times. 2. pretty gun, hate to actually take it out for hunting where it could get banged up 3. Tube feed magazine requires reloading thru the tube like a 22 cal.

Gun if fun to shoot and I found shooting partially frozen tin cans with 357 rounds to be especially rewarding.
Can you run 38's in it?....if so have you done it and how did it do?
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:22 PM   #31280
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
Can you run 38's in it?....if so have you done it and how did it do?
Yes, it actually like 38 spl better. With 357 mag the lever has to be worked smoothly and the gun can not be at an angle. No such issue with the 38's.
2006 KLR650
Old 12-02-2013, 08:12 PM   #31281
ezrydr
Dead Man Riding

Oddometer: 590
Interesting question. I don't hunt, thought for a while I was going to collect but found I couldn't afford it; very little violent crime where I live and paper-target shooting bores me...why then do I still have this many guns? I dunno, I just like them and like having them around. Maybe some other reasons that would be uncool to talk about in a public venue.

So what have I got? Used to have some photos online at my website, took them down for personal reasons, so I'll have to settle for a quick verbal list:

*Winchester 1200, 12 gauge pump, barrel cut back to 20" since I only want it for possible social applications. (Probably the one I'd reach for in a home-invasion or similar situation.)

*SKS 7.62mm. semiauto carbine, originally Yugo issue, considerably modified (plastic stock, ditched silly bayonet and grenade launcher, etc. - I should send a photo to Diane Feinstein, see if it's actually possible for a human to shit bricks.) Ugly as the north end of a southbound wart hog, range and accuracy unimpressive, but cranks out a good deal of metal as fast as there's any sense to. That's it in the avatar pic, but it hasn't looked like that for a long time. But then neither have I.

*Mosin M38 carbine, 7.62mm. Shorty version of the good old Russki bolt rifle. Fairly accurate but it doesn't much matter; the muzzle blast and flash are enough to stun any man who isn't already deaf. No practical use for it but for some reason I love the viciously kicking old thing (made the same year I was born) and would probably get very difficult about turning loose of it.

*Iver Johnson single barrel 16 gauge shotgun. Old. Had it a long time, sentimental value only but that is considerable.

*Savage Mark II .22 bolt action, no idea when made. Reasonably accurate and light and handy to hold, but extractor often jams. Basically a piece of shit.

*Nagant revolver, 7.62mm. Very weird piece, like something designed by Dr. Seuss. Severe lack of stopping power, though this can be improved by using .32 Magnum rounds (now virtually unobtainable); very stiff DA pull. Light and handy, though, and very ruggedly constructed. Holds SEVEN shots, God knows why, and you'd need all of them. Reloading about as clumsy as the old Colt SAA. I love it, don't know why.

*Czech Vz 52 pistol, 7.62. Fitted with tropical hardwood stocks, otherwise as issued. Incredible velocity and penetration, some controversy over "stopping power" but then there always is, isn't there? Blast and noise to daze a bull buffalo. Excessively heavy. I don't really like it that much but I do appreciate the power.

Also got a Daisy BB rifle which I had hoped to practice with in my back yard, only to have the cops tell me it's illegal to shoot it within the city limits.

Ought to add a word for possibly the most effective weapon I own: one each KA-BAR fighting knife, as made for the USMC. You might survive getting shot by any of the above; you will not survive trying conclusions with a KA-BAR in competent hands.

Damn, I hope this post isn't as ridiculously long as I suspect it is -
El otro de mi sangre y de mi nombre.
- Jose Luis Borges
ezrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:40 AM   #31282
Tanshanomi
Your Favorite Uncle

Oddometer: 458
Quote:

My wife went out looking at a Henry .45 lever action just this past weekend. We decided to wait just because we don't have an extra $700 sitting around, but it's definitely on our list.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:10 PM   #31283
Schmeds
scarce

Oddometer: 6,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apxgrndr View Post
This CZ 452 is just great, fits me like a glove and accurate as hell!
I like that. Reminds me of the first rifle I ever shot, a Mossberg 42Mc trainer. I could barely lift the damn thing. Still have it. Still love it.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:16 PM   #31284
Apxgrndr
In the snow

Oddometer: 955
Thanks, this will be a favourite of my sons I'm sure. As soon as he is old enough i will get him on a bolt action 22.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:45 PM   #31285
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanshanomi View Post
My wife went out looking at a Henry .45 lever action just this past weekend. We decided to wait just because we don't have an extra $700 sitting around, but it's definitely on our list.
See I got the 357 because I have several revolvers in that caliber and was already reloading 38spl.
2006 KLR650
Old 12-03-2013, 05:06 PM   #31286
ezrydr
Dead Man Riding

Oddometer: 590
I did have a Swiss 7.5 rifle and it was a beauty - easily the finest workmanship I've ever seen in a military rifle. Accurate as dammit, too, more accuracy in fact than I could live up to. And the straight-pull action gave it more rapid-fire firepower than a conventional bolt gun.

But I went blind in my right eye and it turns out the Swiss piece is hopelessly clumsy to use left-handed. So, with profound regrets, I sold it to a guy from OKC. Hated to do that but it was just too nice a rifle to end its days hanging on my bedroom wall unfired.
El otro de mi sangre y de mi nombre.
- Jose Luis Borges

ezrydr screwed with this post 12-03-2013 at 11:12 PM
ezrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:35 PM   #31287
Hoots Magoon
Hey ya'll, Watch this!

Oddometer: 1,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apxgrndr View Post
As soon as he is old enough i will get him on a bolt action 22.
I bought my son a Crickett .22 several years ago. We both still love to shoot it.

Hoots Magoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:47 PM   #31288
Tanshanomi
Your Favorite Uncle

Oddometer: 458
Quote:
See I got the 357 because I have several revolvers in that caliber and was already reloading 38spl.
My wife currently has a 1911, so the .45 makes sense for us for the same reason.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:32 PM   #31289
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanshanomi View Post
My wife currently has a 1911, so the .45 makes sense for us for the same reason.
Wrong! A 1911 uses 45 ACP and the Henry uses 45 colt. Totally different rounds.

2006 KLR650
Old 12-04-2013, 06:45 AM   #31290
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 11,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots Magoon View Post
I bought my son a Crickett .22 several years ago. We both still love to shoot it.

Bought one years ago,when I was in the gun business.
Its been thru,3 boys,2 girls,1 wife,atleast 10,000rds and still like new.
I have the model with the Willaims fire sites,great little gun.
I put a wing head screw on the recevere screw.So now its a take down and it goes everywhere in the truck.

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: