Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 844 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 12-08-2013, 06:36 AM   #31321
2twisted
GoodNYou

Oddometer: 2,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrfytr View Post
Nice rifle there. Is that a shed moose antler it's sitting on?
Yeah, we tend to find a few of them over the week, I dragged a couple of them back to camp.

2twisted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:42 AM   #31322
Tanshanomi
Your Favorite Uncle

Oddometer: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00SS View Post
but i'm having a hard time pulling the trigger on a 1200 dollar 'fun to shoot gun with no practical purpose'. oh wait, i have a bunch of those..
I have no justifiable reason to have a single-shot break open rifle, but I've wanted one for years. I was at a gun show yesterday and came really, really close to picking up a Harrington & Richardson Survivor in .223 Rem. for $299. After a lot of hemming and hawing I decided to be a responsible adult and walk away.

Anybody have any experience with these guns?
Old 12-08-2013, 08:50 AM   #31323
gatling
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2twisted View Post
Yeah, we tend to find a few of them over the week, I dragged a couple of them back to camp.

Nice photos. Nice rifles.
'10 California Scooter (my Baja Blaster!)
gatling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:00 AM   #31324
engineman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanshanomi View Post
I have no justifiable reason to have a single-shot break open rifle, but I've wanted one for years. I was at a gun show yesterday and came really, really close to picking up a Harrington & Richardson Survivor in .223 Rem. for $299. After a lot of hemming and hawing I decided to be a responsible adult and walk away.

Had one. It was fun enough but for me a rifle like this needs to be very accurate and it wasn't. Around 2+moa iirc

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2
engineman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:18 AM   #31325
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 10,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanshanomi View Post

The H&R single shots are a hell of a bargain for around $300. I bought one two years ago in 500 S&W Magnum because I have two revolvers in that caliber and wanted a rifle in the same chambering to play with. Fun gun. Kicks.

Re the accuracy, I have found this one to be decently accurate, but it fires a pistol round so my expectations were not super high. In 223 I'd probably wonder if it only grouped around 2 moa.

The 223 that I'm currently jonesing for is a Ruger Hawkeye Tropical rifle in that caliber. Yes, they make one according to the Ruger website. It has the iron sights just like the big elephant calibers, and the barrel mounted sling swivel to prevent the stud hitting your weak hand upon firing.....hardly necessary for a 223, but a nice touch. I thought it would be fun to play with an iron-sighted bolt action 223 for some strange reason...... I've not seen one in the flesh but intend to speak to my local crack dealer and see if he can locate one for me.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:11 AM   #31326
Dilligaf0220
Miserablist

Oddometer: 4,531
Isn't there new US importer for Baikal's?

They make a well built single shot break open rifle. New you can find them in Canada for $300.
You might want to watch redacted rims on break open rifles, they need to use some kind of spring loaded funky extractor and YMMV.

I've shot buddy's 30-06 Baikal that is his deer/moose/bear canoe gun. Solid, overbuilt, straight shooter.

Sent from my 'Droid using Boogerhook
Dilligaf0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:44 AM   #31327
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

Oddometer: 2,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2twisted View Post

Very cool, must be neat to find them. What kind of precautions are necessary with Moose in the area?

Also, here's my newest rifle. Browning Xbolt in .223. Sadly I won't be able to shoot it until next weekend.

Old 12-08-2013, 12:27 PM   #31328
Boondoggle
Gear Grinder

Oddometer: 14,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrfytr View Post
Very cool, must be neat to find them. What kind of precautions are necessary with Moose in the area?
don't hit one with your car. Other than that, they pretty much keep to themselves- you will occasionally hear of someone coming face to face with a bull that won't yield, but that's pretty rare.

It's pretty cool to be out in the woods and encounter one, especially if it's on the move and you're near its path.
I've been poking a giant bouncy ball with a needle. You feel anything yet? -Blake716
Boondoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:30 PM   #31329
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
The 223 that I'm currently jonesing for is a Ruger Hawkeye Tropical rifle in that caliber. Yes, they make one according to the Ruger website. It has the iron sights just like the big elephant calibers, and the barrel mounted sling swivel to prevent the stud hitting your weak hand upon firing.....hardly necessary for a 223, but a nice touch. I thought it would be fun to play with an iron-sighted bolt action 223 for some strange reason...... I've not seen one in the flesh but intend to speak to my local crack dealer and see if he can locate one for me.
A co-worker has one ordered. If I can, I will post some pics when it arrives.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #31330
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

Oddometer: 2,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondoggle View Post
don't hit one with your car. Other than that, they pretty much keep to themselves- you will occasionally hear of someone coming face to face with a bull that won't yield, but that's pretty rare.

It's pretty cool to be out in the woods and encounter one, especially if it's on the move and you're near its path.
I would love to see one some day. I always keep an eye out when in Maine, New Hampshire or Vermont, but so far no dice. I'm usually there in August, and the locals tell me it's too warm for them. Even at a park called Moose Point, I didn't see any.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:58 PM   #31331
flyinfuzz
2 Quarts low

Oddometer: 1,800
Have Walther PPQ and PPS coming to replace my "fixed XDs 45 and 9 mm. Now if the weather would just break so we can go shooting.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:24 PM   #31332
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,350
Anybody know anything about these? Saw one at a show this morning in 40, for $625. Glock mags. Had it been 9mm, I would have given it a pretty serious perusal. I'd never seen nor heard of one. But, i've been thinking for awhile that a 9mm carbine of some kind would be pretty cool, cheap plinking with a louder bang than a 22. I have a spare lower I've been meaning to build into a 9mm AR, but something like this is pretty neat, if they aren't crap.

http://www.slickguns.com/product/tnw...e-45-acp-57499
KSJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:26 PM   #31333
LoFlow
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 956
It's been over 20 years since I've owned a 45. I didn't have good luck with the first one and have enjoyed 9's and 40's ever since. I wanted another truck/range/hd gun and the wife wanted to try a 45, so I must oblige. I narrowed my choices to an M&P and a XDM but walked out with this FNX. It's now cleaned and lubed and ready for a day in the mountains.

Old 12-08-2013, 02:54 PM   #31334
worldrider555
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSJEEPER View Post
Anybody know anything about these? Saw one at a show this morning in 40, for $625. Glock mags. Had it been 9mm, I would have given it a pretty serious perusal. I'd never seen nor heard of one. But, i've been thinking for awhile that a 9mm carbine of some kind would be pretty cool, cheap plinking with a louder bang than a 22. I have a spare lower I've been meaning to build into a 9mm AR, but something like this is pretty neat, if they aren't crap.

http://www.slickguns.com/product/tnw...e-45-acp-57499

I was really close to buying one last year but I just think its a lot of money for what it is. Its just a simple blowback action and seems pretty cheaply made at that. I think an AR build would be better, but personally I am going to try and hold out for the elusive keltec sub-2000 in glock 9mm.
worldrider555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:55 PM   #31335
worldrider555
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFlow View Post
It's been over 20 years since I've owned a 45. I didn't have good luck with the first one and have enjoyed 9's and 40's ever since. I wanted another truck/range/hd gun and the wife wanted to try a 45, so I must oblige. I narrowed my choices to an M&P and a XDM but walked out with this FNX. It's now cleaned and lubed and ready for a day in the mountains.

Sweet gun, love the FDE frame.
worldrider555 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: