ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 844 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 12-08-2013, 06:36 AM   #31321
2twisted
GoodNYou
 
2twisted's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Sebago Lake Me
Oddometer: 2,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrfytr View Post
Nice rifle there. Is that a shed moose antler it's sitting on?
Yeah, we tend to find a few of them over the week, I dragged a couple of them back to camp.





2twisted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:42 AM   #31322
Tanshanomi
Your Favorite Uncle
 
Tanshanomi's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Heart of America
Oddometer: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00SS View Post
but i'm having a hard time pulling the trigger on a 1200 dollar 'fun to shoot gun with no practical purpose'. oh wait, i have a bunch of those..
I have no justifiable reason to have a single-shot break open rifle, but I've wanted one for years. I was at a gun show yesterday and came really, really close to picking up a Harrington & Richardson Survivor in .223 Rem. for $299. After a lot of hemming and hawing I decided to be a responsible adult and walk away.

Anybody have any experience with these guns?
__________________
2013 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM5 1977 Bultaco custom roadster 1974 Honda CL125S
Tanshanomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:50 AM   #31323
gatling
Beastly Adventurer
 
gatling's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Oddometer: 2,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2twisted View Post
Yeah, we tend to find a few of them over the week, I dragged a couple of them back to camp.





Nice photos. Nice rifles.
__________________
www.CSCMotorcycles.com
'15 RX-3 CSC Cyclone (I'm getting the 1st one!)
'06 KLR 650 (Red...the fast one...)
'10 California Scooter (my Baja Blaster!)
gatling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:00 AM   #31324
engineman
Gnarly Adventurer
 
engineman's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Eastern Iowa
Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanshanomi View Post
I have no justifiable reason to have a single-shot break open rifle, but I've wanted one for years. I was at a gun show yesterday and came really, really close to picking up a Harrington & Richardson Survivor in .223 Rem. for $299. After a lot of hemming and hawing I decided to be a responsible adult and walk away.

Anybody have any experience with these guns?
Had one. It was fun enough but for me a rifle like this needs to be very accurate and it wasn't. Around 2+moa iirc

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2
engineman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:18 AM   #31325
HardCase
winter is coming
 
HardCase's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: chambers on the Third
Oddometer: 10,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanshanomi View Post
I have no justifiable reason to have a single-shot break open rifle, but I've wanted one for years. I was at a gun show yesterday and came really, really close to picking up a Harrington & Richardson Survivor in .223 Rem. for $299. After a lot of hemming and hawing I decided to be a responsible adult and walk away.

Anybody have any experience with these guns?
The H&R single shots are a hell of a bargain for around $300. I bought one two years ago in 500 S&W Magnum because I have two revolvers in that caliber and wanted a rifle in the same chambering to play with. Fun gun. Kicks.

Re the accuracy, I have found this one to be decently accurate, but it fires a pistol round so my expectations were not super high. In 223 I'd probably wonder if it only grouped around 2 moa.

The 223 that I'm currently jonesing for is a Ruger Hawkeye Tropical rifle in that caliber. Yes, they make one according to the Ruger website. It has the iron sights just like the big elephant calibers, and the barrel mounted sling swivel to prevent the stud hitting your weak hand upon firing.....hardly necessary for a 223, but a nice touch. I thought it would be fun to play with an iron-sighted bolt action 223 for some strange reason...... I've not seen one in the flesh but intend to speak to my local crack dealer and see if he can locate one for me.
__________________
Μολών λαβέ

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:11 AM   #31326
Dilligaf0220
Miserablist
 
Dilligaf0220's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Armpit Of Canuckistan
Oddometer: 4,531
Isn't there new US importer for Baikal's?

They make a well built single shot break open rifle. New you can find them in Canada for $300.
You might want to watch redacted rims on break open rifles, they need to use some kind of spring loaded funky extractor and YMMV.

I've shot buddy's 30-06 Baikal that is his deer/moose/bear canoe gun. Solid, overbuilt, straight shooter.






Sent from my 'Droid using Boogerhook
Dilligaf0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:44 AM   #31327
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.
 
fyrfytr's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Jersey, the New one.
Oddometer: 2,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2twisted View Post
Yeah, we tend to find a few of them over the week, I dragged a couple of them back to camp.





Very cool, must be neat to find them. What kind of precautions are necessary with Moose in the area?

Also, here's my newest rifle. Browning Xbolt in .223. Sadly I won't be able to shoot it until next weekend.

__________________
It is the summer of my smiles - flee from me Keepers of the Gloom
fyrfytr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:27 PM   #31328
Boondoggle
Gear Grinder
 
Boondoggle's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Central VA
Oddometer: 14,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrfytr View Post
Very cool, must be neat to find them. What kind of precautions are necessary with Moose in the area?
don't hit one with your car. Other than that, they pretty much keep to themselves- you will occasionally hear of someone coming face to face with a bull that won't yield, but that's pretty rare.

It's pretty cool to be out in the woods and encounter one, especially if it's on the move and you're near its path.
__________________
____
its hookers and blow ....... coke and hookers is like saying hocus cadabra -Pork Butt
What is wrong with you guys? -RapidWife
I've been poking a giant bouncy ball with a needle. You feel anything yet? -Blake716
Boondoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:30 PM   #31329
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer
 
Andyinhilo's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Hilo, Hawaii
Oddometer: 1,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
The 223 that I'm currently jonesing for is a Ruger Hawkeye Tropical rifle in that caliber. Yes, they make one according to the Ruger website. It has the iron sights just like the big elephant calibers, and the barrel mounted sling swivel to prevent the stud hitting your weak hand upon firing.....hardly necessary for a 223, but a nice touch. I thought it would be fun to play with an iron-sighted bolt action 223 for some strange reason...... I've not seen one in the flesh but intend to speak to my local crack dealer and see if he can locate one for me.
A co-worker has one ordered. If I can, I will post some pics when it arrives.
__________________
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #31330
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.
 
fyrfytr's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Jersey, the New one.
Oddometer: 2,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondoggle View Post
don't hit one with your car. Other than that, they pretty much keep to themselves- you will occasionally hear of someone coming face to face with a bull that won't yield, but that's pretty rare.

It's pretty cool to be out in the woods and encounter one, especially if it's on the move and you're near its path.
I would love to see one some day. I always keep an eye out when in Maine, New Hampshire or Vermont, but so far no dice. I'm usually there in August, and the locals tell me it's too warm for them. Even at a park called Moose Point, I didn't see any.
__________________
It is the summer of my smiles - flee from me Keepers of the Gloom
fyrfytr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:58 PM   #31331
flyinfuzz
2 Quarts low
 
flyinfuzz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: At the bottom of the stairs
Oddometer: 1,800
Have Walther PPQ and PPS coming to replace my "fixed XDs 45 and 9 mm. Now if the weather would just break so we can go shooting.
__________________
Cotton says : This is as screwed up as a rope with 3 ends
flyinfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:24 PM   #31332
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer
 
KSJEEPER's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Kansas City area
Oddometer: 4,350
Anybody know anything about these? Saw one at a show this morning in 40, for $625. Glock mags. Had it been 9mm, I would have given it a pretty serious perusal. I'd never seen nor heard of one. But, i've been thinking for awhile that a 9mm carbine of some kind would be pretty cool, cheap plinking with a louder bang than a 22. I have a spare lower I've been meaning to build into a 9mm AR, but something like this is pretty neat, if they aren't crap.

http://www.slickguns.com/product/tnw...e-45-acp-57499
__________________
2002 KLR650 - 2007 HD Electra Glide
'It doesn't matter how big a ranch ya' own, or how many cows ya' brand,the size of your funeral is still gonna depend on the weather.' Harry Truman
"Death smiles upon us all, a U.S. Marine smiles back"
KSJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:26 PM   #31333
LoFlow
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Kitsap
Oddometer: 956
It's been over 20 years since I've owned a 45. I didn't have good luck with the first one and have enjoyed 9's and 40's ever since. I wanted another truck/range/hd gun and the wife wanted to try a 45, so I must oblige. I narrowed my choices to an M&P and a XDM but walked out with this FNX. It's now cleaned and lubed and ready for a day in the mountains.

__________________
The highway's a storyteller...No time to write it down.
LoFlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:54 PM   #31334
worldrider555
Gnarly Adventurer
 
worldrider555's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Quakertown, PA
Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSJEEPER View Post
Anybody know anything about these? Saw one at a show this morning in 40, for $625. Glock mags. Had it been 9mm, I would have given it a pretty serious perusal. I'd never seen nor heard of one. But, i've been thinking for awhile that a 9mm carbine of some kind would be pretty cool, cheap plinking with a louder bang than a 22. I have a spare lower I've been meaning to build into a 9mm AR, but something like this is pretty neat, if they aren't crap.

http://www.slickguns.com/product/tnw...e-45-acp-57499

I was really close to buying one last year but I just think its a lot of money for what it is. Its just a simple blowback action and seems pretty cheaply made at that. I think an AR build would be better, but personally I am going to try and hold out for the elusive keltec sub-2000 in glock 9mm.
worldrider555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:55 PM   #31335
worldrider555
Gnarly Adventurer
 
worldrider555's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Quakertown, PA
Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFlow View Post
It's been over 20 years since I've owned a 45. I didn't have good luck with the first one and have enjoyed 9's and 40's ever since. I wanted another truck/range/hd gun and the wife wanted to try a 45, so I must oblige. I narrowed my choices to an M&P and a XDM but walked out with this FNX. It's now cleaned and lubed and ready for a day in the mountains.

Sweet gun, love the FDE frame.
worldrider555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014