Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 847 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 12-08-2013, 03:06 PM   #31336
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldrider555 View Post
I was really close to buying one last year but I just think its a lot of money for what it is. Its just a simple blowback action and seems pretty cheaply made at that. I think an AR build would be better, but personally I am going to try and hold out for the elusive keltec sub-2000 in glock 9mm.
I hear ya. It did seem like a long pencil barrel, mini14 style. Like after 50 rounds of 9mm it would be all over the place.

I, too, have been watching for the sub2k. For maybe 3 years now. 3 years ago you would see a few at the show, for $150 of the $299 MSRP. NOW, you don't see one at all, OR, its $800.

I haven't seen one at the last few shows I've been to. The few I saw before that, always seemed to be the weird configurations, like 40 and beretta or S&W mags. Like most, I want 9mm and Glock.
KSJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:15 PM   #31337
Boondoggle
Gear Grinder

Oddometer: 14,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrfytr View Post
I would love to see one some day. I always keep an eye out when in Maine, New Hampshire or Vermont, but so far no dice. I'm usually there in August, and the locals tell me it's too warm for them. Even at a park called Moose Point, I didn't see any.
Was up in Jackman ME a few years ago in early June and couldn't swing a dead cat on a string without hitting a moose. Saw a half a dozen in three days. Just make sure you bring bug spray
I've been poking a giant bouncy ball with a needle. You feel anything yet? -Blake716
Boondoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:20 PM   #31338
Tripl Nikl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondoggle View Post
Was up in Jackman ME a few years ago in early June and couldn't swing a dead cat on a string without hitting a moose. Saw a half a dozen in three days. Just make sure you bring bug spray
I didn't see a single moose in Jackman when I was there!
Tripl Nikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:21 PM   #31339
LoFlow
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldrider555 View Post
Sweet gun, love the FDE frame.
Thanks, my first colored gun. Always thought guns should be black, blue or stainless but this FDE is growing on me also.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:35 PM   #31340
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFlow View Post
It's been over 20 years since I've owned a 45. I didn't have good luck with the first one and have enjoyed 9's and 40's ever since. I wanted another truck/range/hd gun and the wife wanted to try a 45, so I must oblige. I narrowed my choices to an M&P and a XDM but walked out with this FNX. It's now cleaned and lubed and ready for a day in the mountains.

I have four different FNH pistols - I think the really learned from John Browning, but have greatly improved the mechanism - I dunno about that specific model, but my polymer FN's are dead simple inside. I like the FDE color as well - nice contrast.

they point well and I'm tolerably accurate with mine, enjoy it!

BTW, I use Gunslick grease and a bit of oil on the rails and the barrel unlock block and unlock surfaces. Makes it work right slick and does not throw around quite as much, after the first few workings of the action it's tolerable clean and it hangs around while in storage.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:35 PM   #31341
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

Oddometer: 2,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondoggle View Post
I'll have to check out Jackman.

Those skeeters are sneaky, too. I was hiking in Petit Manan Wildlife refuge and they waited until I was just as far from the parking lot as I could get. Then they attacked in force, both me and my dog.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:49 PM   #31342
2twisted
GoodNYou

Oddometer: 2,858
[QUOTE=fyrfytr;22947018]Very cool, must be neat to find them. What kind of precautions are necessary with Moose in the area?

Also, here's my newest rifle. Browning Xbolt in .223. Sadly I won't be able to shoot it until next weekend.
[QUOTE]

Nice 223
I have witnessed a change in the moose habits in the last 20 years, while hunting whitetail a big mature full rack bull would always stand their ground and let you pass by, a smaller bull with something to prove would tend to follow you through the woods and kinda harass you and cows would mostly run off....unless they did not wind you, then they will come closer to get a better idea what the hell you are.
But over the last few years almost all them will run like hell at the first scent of a human.

This season about 20 feet from me, heavy rain/wind.

Hijack over

Tikka t3 in 300wsm, for those " hey I am gonna sit my ass down days".

2twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:58 PM   #31343
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
I have four different FNH pistols - I think the really learned from John Browning, but have greatly improved the mechanism
The people of Liege Belgium considered him to be one of their own and he was highly respected there and in the factory.

I think Browning was a great inventor, but there were certainly improvements that could be made on his inventions - he himself was constantly improving them.

It is always amusing to me that many fans of the 1911 say something about how that was the way a gun that God and Browning intended it to be made, and then they put down the hi-cap "Wonder Nines", including the Browning Hi-Power which he almost finished before he died.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:58 PM   #31344
LoFlow
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post

BTW, I use Gunslick grease and a bit of oil on the rails and the barrel unlock block and unlock surfaces. Makes it work right slick and does not throw around quite as much, after the first few workings of the action it's tolerable clean and it hangs around while in storage.
Thanks for the tips. All the lube points were dry when opened up.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:53 PM   #31345
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 8,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
The 223 that I'm currently jonesing for is a Ruger Hawkeye Tropical rifle in that caliber. Yes, they make one according to the Ruger website. It has the iron sights just like the big elephant calibers, and the barrel mounted sling swivel to prevent the stud hitting your weak hand upon firing.....hardly necessary for a 223, but a nice touch. I thought it would be fun to play with an iron-sighted bolt action 223 for some strange reason...... I've not seen one in the flesh but intend to speak to my local crack dealer and see if he can locate one for me.
I'm confused. I thought Tropicals were single shot rifles, and Hawkeyes were bolt rifles.

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:18 PM   #31346
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee View Post
The people of Liege Belgium considered him to be one of their own and he was highly respected there and in the factory.

I think Browning was a great inventor, but there were certainly improvements that could be made on his inventions - he himself was constantly improving them.

It is always amusing to me that many fans of the 1911 say something about how that was the way a gun that God and Browning intended it to be made, and then they put down the hi-cap "Wonder Nines", including the Browning Hi-Power which he almost finished before he died.
I consider the Browning High Power to be his finest pistol design, his fully enclosed recoil spring design is spendid, just wish the hammer spring was a little lighter. The ergonomics and lines are just great too.

I only know enough to be dangerous when it comes to JB though I own FN built browning rifle and shotgun as well, inherited from my dad. Good guns, both of them.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:28 PM   #31347
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
I'm confused. I thought Tropicals were single shot rifles, and Hawkeyes were bolt rifles.
Actually it is the Hawkeye African that I think he is referring to. Similar style as the Tropical, on a M77 Hawkeye platform.

http://www.ruger.com/products/m77Haw...an/models.html
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #31348
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee View Post

Revisionist history. He was an amazing designer, and the .50 Browning is still in service in many nations after 100 years. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M2_Browning

And yes, I am proudly a "liberal" who isn't crazy about the crazy use of weapons )
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:08 PM   #31349
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 10,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinhilo View Post
Actually it is the Hawkeye African that I think he is referring to. Similar style as the Tropical, on a M77 Hawkeye platform.

http://www.ruger.com/products/m77Haw...an/models.html
Oops, yep, I got that one confused. The Tropical is a No. 1, and the African is the M77.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #31350
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 8,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
Oops, yep, I got that one confused. The Tropical is a No. 1, and the African is the M77.
No problem, I just thought I might have been missing something. MrsDonkeys has a single shot 223 and it is a blast. I'd love to get a Tropical in 223.

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: