Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 847 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 12-09-2013, 07:05 PM   #31351
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 10,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
No problem, I just thought I might have been missing something. MrsDonkeys has a single shot 223 and it is a blast. I'd love to get a Tropical in 223.
I've had four No. 1s in my lifetime, presently own two. Great guns. Yeah, a 223 with the Alex Henry forend and iron sights would be a hoot. I looked at the Ruger site to see if they offered one a couple of years back, and no luck. But they change things up pretty frequently where the No. 1 is concerned, so maybe someday.....

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:54 PM   #31352
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,220
The new Arsenal Strike looks interesting.

Super low barrel/recoil line. Arsenal claims this to be the lowest barrel axle-to-hand grip in the history of pistols.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:29 PM   #31353
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 5,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee View Post
The people of Liege Belgium considered him to be one of their own and he was highly respected there and in the factory.

I think Browning was a great inventor, but there were certainly improvements that could be made on his inventions - he himself was constantly improving them.

It is always amusing to me that many fans of the 1911 say something about how that was the way a gun that God and Browning intended it to be made, and then they put down the hi-cap "Wonder Nines", including the Browning Hi-Power which he almost finished before he died.
The Browning HP was designed to European requirements, not American. The 9mm was considered high power in countries that used a .32 for police work. Colt had already brought out its own 9mm cartridge, the Super .38, which was more effective, especially as a metal piercing round.

The big reason the 1911 was popular originally was that it was a required weapon for one stage of the 3 gun bullseye match and also the military "leg" matches for service weapons. Match conditioning was developed over the years, but service issue weapons were accurate enough for combat while being absolutely reliable with hardball issue ammo.

The 1911 proved to be adequate for cartridges like the 10 mm, while the HP had to be beefed up for 9mm +P and .40 S&W. In spite of that, they were both designed to be adequate for the job they had to do. Double stack magazines were nothing new at the time, and all they did was promote the idea of "spray and pray".
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:20 PM   #31354
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 8,379
Dammit, my local gun store just got a Belgian A5 in. Dammit...I shouldn't be spending money on guns right now.

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:06 AM   #31355
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,687
Quote:
Dammit, my local gun store just got a Belgian A5 in. Dammit...I shouldn't be spending money on guns right now.

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...
I have one....made sometime in the 60's, belonged to the wife's uncle. After my surgery I am pretty recoil sensitive....this thing will just kill me.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:31 AM   #31356
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,878
300 Blackout!

New Wildcat cartridge a buddy was telling me about. Its a .223 case cut off and uses a .30 cal bullet. Something new he says he's getting into. Showed me a live round. Looks interesting. Says the ballistics are impressive out to 300 yds. Anybody else heard of it?
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:54 AM   #31357
VTvfr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED CAT View Post
New Wildcat cartridge a buddy was telling me about. Its a .223 case cut off and uses a .30 cal bullet. Something new he says he's getting into. Showed me a live round. Looks interesting. Says the ballistics are impressive out to 300 yds. Anybody else heard of it?
Pretty common now that there are quite a few companies making AR uppers out of it.
Ammo's still expensive (relative anymore), so it seems most people reload it.
Plenty of punch behind it, a lot of guys use it for big hogs.

'07 990 Adv
'07 250 XC-W
(plated)
'03 600RR
(track duty only now)
'94 VFR750 (sold)
VTvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:56 AM   #31358
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 8,379
Yup, Blackout has been around for a minute. I've spent a fair amount of time shooting an AR in Blackout, and it is a nice cartridge, but not overly versatile. The Blackout was really designed for shooting under 200 yards. It is best served between 100-150 yards. I'm not saying it won't shoot further, but it is far less effective beyond 200 yards, and 300 yards tends to be the max distance to allow expansion for most bullets with this cartridge. This is why it is great for hunting feral pigs, since most shots are short distance.

It is pricey to buy, so if you aren't reloading, then I wouldn't even mess with it.

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:11 AM   #31359
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 5,655
Quote:
Yup, Blackout has been around for a minute. I've spent a fair amount of time shooting an AR in Blackout, and it is a nice cartridge, but not overly versatile. The Blackout was really designed for shooting under 200 yards. It is best served between 100-150 yards. I'm not saying it won't shoot further, but it is far less effective beyond 200 yards, and 300 yards tends to be the max distance to allow expansion for most bullets with this cartridge. This is why it is great for hunting feral pigs, since most shots are short distance.

It is pricey to buy, so if you aren't reloading, then I wouldn't even mess with it.
That's just a little bit better than the .30 Carbine. Why bother?
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:52 AM   #31360
accurate iron
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
for suppressive purposes.
accurate iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #31361
Hoots Magoon
Hey ya'll, Watch this!

Oddometer: 1,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
That's just a little bit better than the .30 Carbine. Why bother?
Subsonic is a huge plus when using a suppressed weapon. Also, you can have multiple calibers on an AR platform by just switching out the upper(with the Blackout just the barrel is need to be changed from the 5.56). The 300 AAC Blackout and the .223/5.56 use the same magazines.

Hoots Magoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:59 AM   #31362
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,541
.300 Whisper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED CAT View Post

Research .300 Whisper to see the origins. It was developed by SSK (they still have 'their own versions of several similar cartridges) in the late 80's or early 90's to have a suppressed but functional (i.e. not manual operation only) AR for clandestine special ops use with a 200 or so grain bullet at subsonic velocity. The original was proprietary and not standardized to SAMI specs so no other manufacturer would/could chamber for it. I believe that S&W finally stepped up and got it 'standardized' but they had to use a new name. Now that it is standardized there are both heavy bullet subsonic versions and light bullet 'high' velocity variations that will run through the same gun with essentially just a barrel change from 5.56mm.
I can't say that I need one but it is on the 'Want' list. That was tempered a bit when Savage announced that they were shelving development of their bolt action version because they could not achieve the accuracy they wanted. I like precision and don't need to be able to covertly eliminate targets in far away lands so I am waiting to see how things play out before buying in.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:39 PM   #31363
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post

Super low barrel/recoil line. Arsenal claims this to be the lowest barrel axle-to-hand grip in the history of pistols.

I have a steyr S9, about the same height.

Makes a big difference

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #31364
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post

Doesn't look at low as the Chiappa Rhino. Friend of mine has one. I haven't played with it yet, but it's the only pistol his GF will shoot, and she'll even use full power .357s.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:43 PM   #31365
urbanXJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,023
the Eform From 1 came in in only 3 months

quick change of the buffer tube, and slap on a stock it's now a super evil rifle

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: