Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 660 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 05-02-2014, 06:52 AM   #32716
NERVE
Thrumming along

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badge320 View Post
I'm the only one still packing a revolver as a duty gun.
And you are wise to do so in my opinion.
NERVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:02 AM   #32717
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
Quote:
There are department guns available if you choose to carry one. There is a list of approved alternate guns for patrol and the detective division. I'm the only one still packing a revolver as a duty gun.

I assume you are a detective, I can agree with a choice like you made, most of our guys if they have to go somewhere for an interview with a suspect even if they have an appointment like to take a uniformed deputy with them.

Our detectives and admin are the only ones that do not wear a vest, even the jail and civil process wear vests.....it has come in handy in both places in the past.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:54 AM   #32718
Nytelyte
Somewhere about

Oddometer: 623
My Grandfather purchased this rifle brand new in 1954, a .35 Remington 336SC. Its been in the family since, did decades of work as a deer rifle (before they were outlawed in Ohio) and is now mine.

Picture of him holding it, brand new, on the family farm back in 1954...

Before he passed, he taught me with this rifle, it was the first non-.22 rifle I'd ever fired. Its in OK shape, has some bluing loss and a bit of surface pitting. I'm not sure if / how it should be refinished.. Its never going to be a beauty queen or worth much to anyone but me and my father.

Its a sweet shooter, action is smooth as all getout (they don't get much more broken in) and it'll get taken out every now and again on nice days. If deer hunting with rifles is ever legalized in Ohio again I might take it out for legacy's sake, but otherwise its a family heirloom that put food on the table for my dad when he was growing up, it will enjoy its dignified retirement.
My G'pa and I were both right handed / left eye dominant, only ones in the family, so the wear marks in the wood's finish perfectly coincide with how we both hold the rifle, the nicks in the stock from his wedding ring pretty much perfectly line up with where mine hit..
That kind of stuff cannot be bought or sold for any price.
Nytelyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:10 PM   #32719
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytelyte View Post
My Grandfather purchased this rifle brand new in 1954, a .35 Remington 336SC. Its been in the family since, did decades of work as a deer rifle (before they were outlawed in Ohio) and is now mine.

Before he passed, he taught me with this rifle, it was the first non-.22 rifle I'd ever fired. Its in OK shape, has some bluing loss and a bit of surface pitting. I'm not sure if / how it should be refinished.. Its never going to be a beauty queen or worth much to anyone but me and my father.

Its a sweet shooter, action is smooth as all getout (they don't get much more broken in) and it'll get taken out every now and again on nice days. If deer hunting with rifles is ever legalized in Ohio again I might take it out for legacy's sake, but otherwise its a family heirloom that put food on the table for my dad when he was growing up, it will enjoy its dignified retirement.
My G'pa and I were both right handed / left eye dominant, only ones in the family, so the wear marks in the wood's finish perfectly coincide with how we both hold the rifle, the nicks in the stock from his wedding ring pretty much perfectly line up with where mine hit..
Great story, and a great deer gun. Ya aught to shoot it once in a while, but ammo is probably pricy. Regarding the pitting/bluing: I had my Dad's Browning re-blued as it was really looking bad, the shop did a good job on it and it still looks 'right' but if you don't object to the minor blemishes and it's kept from further rusting who cares?

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:18 PM   #32720
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,055
Quote:

Nice gun and a lot of good family history. Too bad it's not a straight walled cartridge. If it was 30 cal, 45 LC or even 45-70 govt the new pistol caliber rifle laws would apply for you to hunt with it again.
2006 KLR650
2001 YX426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:40 PM   #32721
00SS
Always a vicious cycle

Oddometer: 1,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
Dammit! I missed a gun today. My LGS called me yesterday and left a message saying they finally got a Rock Island with 9mm and 22 TCM barrels. I've been waiting for one of these to pop in. They said they'd only hold it until 10am unless I called them back. I didn't get the message until after hours yesterday. I got called into work early, and completely forgot about it until about lunchtime. I scrambled to call only to find out that it was alread sold.

I really wanted to try the 22 TCM out.
That sux - and keep at it, it will be worth it. i adore mine and is my favorite range gun. never have i had a pistol bring so many smiles to my face (or anyone that has shot it come to think of it). i just put a orange fiber front sight on it and a grip (wide body.. so limited on what grips are available). I have finally dialed it in to half dollar groups at 15 yards.. but am able to hit a 5" target at 50 yards (shooting off hand no rest)
Old 05-02-2014, 10:19 PM   #32722
RonS
Out there...

Oddometer: 17,994
Quote:

Wow, cool story. We have a couple of guns like that in the family. Reload for it, shoot it and pass it on to your grandchildren along with the stories and pictures. Nothing like teaching the next generation how to shoot with a gun that was used to teach people to shoot and hunt two generations ago.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:05 PM   #32723
MrFurious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 702
Had a couple strays follow me home from the gun show today...

Savage Model 99 in .300 Savage (circa 1952)

Savage Model 24V in .222 Remington / 20-gauge (circa 1968)

I was really hoping to come home with two 99's - the other being in 250-3000 Savage, but they guy wanted way to much for it and wouldn't budge on his price.

MrFurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:19 PM   #32724
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
Had a couple strays follow me home from the gun show today...

Savage Model 24V in .222 Remington / 20-gauge (circa 1968)

I was really hoping to come home with two 99's - the other being in 250-3000 Savage, but they guy wanted way to much for it and wouldn't budge on his price.
Oh, well, only TWO new ones today? bummer. both look nice.

Ya know, one nice thing about older guns is that you can buy more of them, plus you so often get really nice wood at a decent price - seems like really good wood new costs a bunch - but I just think a bolt gun with a plastic stock looks wrong - personal problem, I know....

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:48 PM   #32725
Double Moo
lookin' for adventure

Oddometer: 1,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post

I have a 1951 that was handed down from My grandfather... beautiful gun you got there!
Old 05-04-2014, 12:44 AM   #32726
MrFurious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
Oh, well, only TWO new ones today? bummer. both look nice.

Ya know, one nice thing about older guns is that you can buy more of them, plus you so often get really nice wood at a decent price - seems like really good wood new costs a bunch - but I just think a bolt gun with a plastic stock looks wrong - personal problem, I know....
I dunno about older guns being cheaper, but I agree 100% that plastic has no place on a long gun. I miss the days when guns were offered with nicely checkered walnut stocks and a high polish blued finish.

MrFurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 04:05 AM   #32727
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,064
Quote:
I'm the only one still packing a revolver as a duty gun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NERVE View Post
And you are wise to do so in my opinion.

Good stuff, there's nothing wrong with a revolver. What type and how many speed loaders do you carry?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 05:03 AM   #32728
gearguywb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Quote:

That is very cool. IMHO, I would not even think of having it re-blued. Those are marks of age...and rightfully earned. I would bet your grandfather would be super happy to see it cleaned up a bit and taken to the range occasionally to shoot.
gearguywb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:43 PM   #32729
BigIron
Tenured Prof - Leghump U.

Oddometer: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
I....from that little experience I know I want one in 38 super. I think that RI makes one in 38 super that is real cheap, I might give that one a look, RI guns get real good reviews.
Yes, you do want a 1911 in 38 Super.

The 1911 in 38 Super is one of my favorites. If you ever see a Taurus 1911 in 38 Super, give it a go. Mine is a great shooter, especially for the money. I bought mine as a refurb for <$400.
BigIron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:12 PM   #32730
vtmactech
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Pistol Caliber Carbines that share mags with your handguns are great IMO.

AR based PCC shares mags with most of my Glocks. Need to finish the second lower, have all the parts, just haven't taken the time. Both are 16" uppers. Last round hold-open is functional with these lowers.

I've stuck with 9mm mostly for mag interchangeability and reloading cost.

If I feel like I need more power, that is where 7.62 comes in.
vtmactech is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: