ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 158 votes, 4.81 average. Display Modes
Old 12-01-2008, 02:46 PM   #601
KingRat
Stroppy.
 
KingRat's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: a citizen of the world
Oddometer: 24,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X
now this thing is FUN!

wottizzit?
KingRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:47 PM   #602
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber
 
Sniper X's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
Oddometer: 33,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewie
wottizzit?
Tec 22 a little auto that uses 10~22 mags.
__________________
" The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."
Straight Out Da Trailah!
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:48 PM   #603
UPSam
All jacked up on Dew
 
UPSam's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Plutocrat free zone
Oddometer: 16,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewie
wottizzit?
tech 22 . uses ruger 10/22 mags.
__________________
"There was a lot of talk last year about how Barack Obama would be a “transformational” president — but true transformation, it turns out, requires a lot more than electing one telegenic leader." -Paul Krugman 8/30/09
UPSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:50 PM   #604
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber
 
Sniper X's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
Oddometer: 33,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolfan
Hmm.. Okay. (learning!)

Are all 1911 frames alloy?


(One of the things that scares me off of 1911s is that there seems to be a million and three configurations and options, so it makes it hard to make a decision.)

I'll probably just go down to my friendly local arms dealer and see what he has, and maybe see if he'll keep an eye out for me. Maybe if he's got nothing I'll see if he'll be my FFL receiver for an out of state SA...

I should rejoin the pistol club so I can keep an eye on their bulletin board as well.
Nope, only alloy framed 1911's are alloy. Some models of 1911 are all alloy, like the SA Champion and the Kimber Pro Carry and tActical custom series. There are only two kinds of 1911's clones, which means they share all parts with the original colt 1911's and other 1911's which are copies and either some or no parts are interchangeable.
__________________
" The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."
Straight Out Da Trailah!
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:54 PM   #605
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber
 
Sniper X's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
Oddometer: 33,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolfan
Hmm.. Okay. (learning!)

Are all 1911 frames alloy?


(One of the things that scares me off of 1911s is that there seems to be a million and three configurations and options, so it makes it hard to make a decision.)

I'll probably just go down to my friendly local arms dealer and see what he has, and maybe see if he'll keep an eye out for me. Maybe if he's got nothing I'll see if he'll be my FFL receiver for an out of state SA...

I should rejoin the pistol club so I can keep an eye on their bulletin board as well.
You can usually find a clean low round count 1911, a quality oe for right at what you are looking to spend, but not usually a SA, Kimber, Colt or whatever. I also have a NOB Colt Combat Commander in high polish blue I'd sell for $800.00....never been fired.

__________________
" The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."
Straight Out Da Trailah!
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:02 PM   #606
toolfan
Broken Hearted
 
toolfan's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: NoPo (pdx)
Oddometer: 9,543
I think I'd be looking for something more along the lines of that Colt, and would be happy to increase my budget a little if required.

That's a nice looking piece of hardware.

My usage would be mostly range, and bedside storage. I would only want to carry it around my parents cabin in Central Oregon. A lot of meth use and gun ownership over there, and it's an uncomfortable combination. (Part of the impetus of actively looking for a new pistol is that we were there this weekend, and the shotgun doesn't do much for piece of mind when we were walking the dogs.)

My timeline is January or so, unless I find a smokin' deal before then.
toolfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:05 PM   #607
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber
 
Sniper X's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
Oddometer: 33,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolfan
I think I'd be looking for something more along the lines of that Colt, and would be happy to increase my budget a little if required.

That's a nice looking piece of hardware.

My usage would be mostly range, and bedside storage. I would only want to carry it around my parents cabin in Central Oregon. A lot of meth use and gun ownership over there, and it's an uncomfortable combination. (Part of the impetus of actively looking for a new pistol is that we were there this weekend, and the shotgun doesn't do much for piece of mind when we were walking the dogs.)

My timeline is January or so, unless I find a smokin' deal before then.
it's beautiful, which is why I don't take it thru my paces. I'd just beat it up doing my kind of range work. But it is a beauty of a Combat Commander! comes with two standard 7rd mags. Let me know if you end up wanting it. I am not actively trying to sell it but it will increase in value after you buy it, unlike some no name brand 1911's.
__________________
" The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."
Straight Out Da Trailah!
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:08 PM   #608
toolfan
Broken Hearted
 
toolfan's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: NoPo (pdx)
Oddometer: 9,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X
it's beautiful, which is why I don't take it thru my paces. I'd just beat it up doing my kind of range work. But it is a beauty of a Combat Commander! comes with two standard 7rd mags. Let me know if you end up wanting it. I am not actively trying to sell it but it will increase in value after you buy it, unlike some no name brand 1911's.

I'll go through the couch cushions and hit up the gun shop this weekend.
Might give you a virtual ring after that.
toolfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:09 PM   #609
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber
 
Sniper X's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
Oddometer: 33,222
here are a few of my other 1911's.







__________________
" The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."
Straight Out Da Trailah!
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:14 PM   #610
KingRat
Stroppy.
 
KingRat's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: a citizen of the world
Oddometer: 24,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X
You can usually find a clean low round count 1911, a quality oe for right at what you are looking to spend, but not usually a SA, Kimber, Colt or whatever. I also have a NOB Colt Combat Commander in high polish blue I'd sell for $800.00....never been fired.
KingRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:15 PM   #611
toolfan
Broken Hearted
 
toolfan's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: NoPo (pdx)
Oddometer: 9,543
I always think I like blued guns better,

but when I see a tasteful stainless gun.



Very nice.

toolfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:15 PM   #612
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber
 
Sniper X's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
Oddometer: 33,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewie
was it THAT obvious?
__________________
" The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."
Straight Out Da Trailah!
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:17 PM   #613
OU812
Legend in my own Mind!
 
OU812's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Buffalo Grove IL and Killing Threads...
Oddometer: 8,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochihchu
Browning Auto-5's
Granpa had one and knew how to use it. GREAT shotgun!
__________________
Getting Old ain't for pussies....................Lorazapam
Even when you do something right people will think you didn't do anything at all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bVGTVrQd6M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=aYDfwUJzYQg
OU812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 04:30 PM   #614
blacksan
Rev Limiter
 
blacksan's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA
Oddometer: 4,251
Some Thought's From Y'all

I am going to have my Marlin Guide Gun cut down to 16 1/4" for versatility while hiking and waring a pack. I know it doesn't sound like much of a modification over the original 18.5", but it is. I made the mistake of handling one modified in this manner and was hooked. So, my quandary is optics. A Scout Scope in roughly 2X would be nice, but what about a red dot optic with about 3 MOA for quick accurate shots? Good peep sights would also be an option with a fiber optic front blade.

Interestingly enough the cut down version would shoot approximately 1.5 MOA at 100 yards with handholds that where not even tailored for that rifle. I reckon the crown was better then factory and maybe even the shorter length made the barrel harmonics better?
blacksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 04:39 PM   #615
KingRat
Stroppy.
 
KingRat's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: a citizen of the world
Oddometer: 24,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by OU812
Happy you are not a US LEO. Or are you? :)
It'd be a long commute, and I don't like donuts.




That second bit is a lie.
KingRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014