Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 601 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 03-29-2010, 05:14 PM   #7591
BigKev72
ANZAC

Oddometer: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X
Here's your ton of scientific mumbo jombo....barrel harmonics.
Precisely. This is why Browning's boss system actually did something (to a degree) it altered the way the barrel flexed and vibrated. An action can have a very similar effect on the way a rifle shoots though. However its a bit harder to tune an action than it is the barrel.

1992 BMW K75RT (sold)
1988 R80GSPD (sold)
1990 Suzuki RGV500 (sold cos I was scared)
1990 Suzuki GSXR1100 (sold to buy the RGV)
1986 Suzuki GSX550 ESD (ridden into the ground)
1987 Suzuki GN250 (gave away)
1986 Suzuki TS250 (sold)
1976 Yamaha DT250 (sold)
BigKev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 05:14 PM   #7592
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa

Where can I buy this kind of stock for my Glock22 :P

And what is the law behind this stock?
To be clear. You can buy it here.

http://www.onlythebestfirearms.com/accessories.html

And you can get the right paperwork to build an SBR. Just make sure you get the paperwork, and get approved. BEFORE you buy the part.

Many people have built SBR's, and many more will. I don't think they are particularly useful, and have no desire to build one, but I figured lets be clear about it. Assuming you live in a state that lets you, and you do the paperwork, these can be legal.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 05:17 PM   #7593
BigKev72
ANZAC

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by P B G
To be clear. You can buy it here.

http://www.onlythebestfirearms.com/accessories.html

And you can get the right paperwork to build an SBR. Just make sure you get the paperwork, and get approved. BEFORE you buy the part.

Many people have built SBR's, and many more will. I don't think they are particularly useful, and have no desire to build one, but I figured lets be clear about it. Assuming you live in a state that lets you, and you do the paperwork, these can be legal.
What he said. And I agree 100%, not particularly useful, it does not alter the fact that the pistol has a short barrel and a low power cartridge. But could be a bit of fun! I would probably be inclined to build a good FAL or AR carbine in a short barrel configuration...but thats me. Another good use for all the paperwork would be to get a can instead

1992 BMW K75RT (sold)
1988 R80GSPD (sold)
1986 Suzuki TS250 (sold)
1976 Yamaha DT250 (sold)
Old 03-29-2010, 06:44 PM   #7594
wyowillys46
F=mA

Oddometer: 2,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot
To me, that makes no sense. If a rifle is more accurate at 500 yards, what happens between there and say 800 yards that makes the once accurate round go off kilter?
While not dependent on the action, if a bullet goes transonic, accuracy will also suffer. Dependent on the ballistic coefficient and weight of the bullet, and velocity of course.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:52 PM   #7595
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyowillys46
While not dependent on the action, if a bullet goes transonic, accuracy will also suffer. Dependent on the ballistic coefficient and weight of the bullet, and velocity of course.
I know about that, but we're talking about harmonics causing a bullet to become unstable after 600 yards and not before. No mention of velocity dropping into the sub sonic speed range. He also says it is the action causing it, not the BC or velocity drop or anything else.

It also doesn't equate with an arrow, he's saying the bow, not the arrow, is the cause.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:55 PM   #7596
JonXX
Infraction Collector

Oddometer: 339
Because it just is, mkay?

Fuckin' westerners always having to answer every question before them.

"They" said we couldn't run the OBDR on supermotos...
JonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:11 PM   #7597
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonXX
Because it just is, mkay?

Fuckin' westerners always having to answer every question before them.
Who are you?

pilot screwed with this post 03-31-2010 at 06:54 AM
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:34 PM   #7598
BigKev72
ANZAC

Quote:
I know about that, but we're talking about harmonics causing a bullet to become unstable after 600 yards and not before. No mention of velocity dropping into the sub sonic speed range. He also says it is the action causing it, not the BC or velocity drop or anything else.

It also doesn't equate with an arrow, he's saying the bow, not the arrow, is the cause.
Barrel harmonics don't so much cause the bullet to be unstable per se. It is more along the lines of repeatable consistent accuracy. Like someone said in one post since this started it really is not a concern for most people, your marksmanship has to be of an exceedingly high standard in order for this to be even noticed in the slightest bit.
Come to think of it...my marksmanship today probably wouldn't be affected by it but back in the day...I noticed these things

However the bow and arrow bit is correct. There is a standard you can achieve with the correct practice that will actually allow you to blame your tools rather than your ability to use them. BC and velocity are totally separate animals in this discussion. They are a factor, yes. But they are not anything to do with this particular thing.

1992 BMW K75RT (sold)
1988 R80GSPD (sold)
1986 Suzuki TS250 (sold)
1976 Yamaha DT250 (sold)
Old 03-30-2010, 05:51 AM   #7599
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,309
What if I glue these all over a rifle.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:02 AM   #7600
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius
What if I glue these all over a rifle.

The fun part is showing up with the range with a deadpan expression and explaining it's the latest tacticool addon.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:15 AM   #7601
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKev72
Barrel harmonics don't so much cause the bullet to be unstable per se. It is more along the lines of repeatable consistent accuracy. Like someone said in one post since this started it really is not a concern for most people, your marksmanship has to be of an exceedingly high standard in order for this to be even noticed in the slightest bit.
Come to think of it...my marksmanship today probably wouldn't be affected by it but back in the day...I noticed these things

However the bow and arrow bit is correct. There is a standard you can achieve with the correct practice that will actually allow you to blame your tools rather than your ability to use them. BC and velocity are totally separate animals in this discussion. They are a factor, yes. But they are not anything to do with this particular thing.
I've been there as far as skill with a bow. Not so much anymore. Rifle marksmanship, I'm working on. I'm just have a problem understanding how one rifle will shoot better to 600 and a different one shooting better past that, with the variable being the action rigidity.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:39 AM   #7602
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,000
Quote:
I've been there as far as skill with a bow. Not so much anymore. Rifle marksmanship, I'm working on. I'm just have a problem understanding how one rifle will shoot better to 600 and a different one shooting better past that, with the variable being the action rigidity.
Doesn't make any sense to me either. There are a number of high dollar custom benchrest gun manufacturers, and none of them specify that one is designed for maximum accuracy at 1000 meters, but not at 100 meters, or vice versa. All of them are designed to be accurate by making them as rigid as possible.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:17 AM   #7603
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius
Doesn't make any sense to me either. There are a number of high dollar custom benchrest gun manufacturers, and none of them specify that one is designed for maximum accuracy at 1000 meters, but not at 100 meters, or vice versa. All of them are designed to be accurate by making them as rigid as possible.
I agree. I've read accounts or stories about how a certain gun wasn't accurate at 100 yards, but was at, say, 400. What a bunch of I mean, in order to believe that you'd have to accept the premise that a bullet which was off-the-mark at 100 yards somehow realigned itself between there and 400.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:34 AM   #7604
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKev72
Precisely. This is why Browning's boss system actually did something (to a degree) it altered the way the barrel flexed and vibrated. An action can have a very similar effect on the way a rifle shoots though. However its a bit harder to tune an action than it is the barrel.
When I first got this

I was a little unsure hwo well a device would work to reduce harmonization but on the Erma, it works incredibly well.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:36 AM   #7605
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa

Where can I buy this kind of stock for my Glock22 :P

And what is the law behind this stock?
A1fa, that stock makes that a illegal weapon without a tax atamp, if you want a stock for the glock, might as well also buy a supressor and share the tax stamp.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: