Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 851 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 03-30-2010, 08:37 AM   #7606
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase
I agree. I've read accounts or stories about how a certain gun wasn't accurate at 100 yards, but was at, say, 400. What a bunch of I mean, in order to believe that you'd have to accept the premise that a bullet which was off-the-mark at 100 yards somehow realigned itself between there and 400.

I hadn't thought about it that way, but you're right.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:59 AM   #7607
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,309
I'll ad something here about the bow and arrow analogy. That doesn't apply here because the reason a bow is "tuned" for a certain range group is because of many factors. The first of which bening the arrow being "splined" or at a certain degree of rigity for the bow's weight. You don't use a different arrow for different range accuracy's. I have been shooting bows for both hunting and in competition for years and have never met even at the highest porfessional level someone who uses a different arrow for a different range.

Here's the reason, on modern compound bows, you tune the bow to an arrow that is correctly splined or has the correct stiffness for the draw weight of the bow you are shooting. This arrow will have not only a different stiffness, but usually a different diameter. When you tune a bow, you tune the rest to the exact diameter of the arrow, the center of the shot on the bow string meaning the nock point is set exactly centered on the rest, and the weight, and your release technique. Once all this is done one guy as good as you might pick up your bow and not be able to hit well because he has a different technique than you. I have even had to retune a bow when I change fletching length or type. You also have to retune after the string or cable stretches. In fact, I usually retuune every week when I shoot a lot like a couple hours a day, and when I shoot more, it might be every other day.

All this is leading up to why it is totally different than a bullet.

A bullet doesn't flex, or harmonize when it goes down the barrel or when it comes out at any range, an arrow is flexing when it is drawn, when it is released, and when it is in flight till it stabilizes later in flight. That is why you tune a bow to shoot past a certain raqnge or to a shorter range. Look at it this was, a target shooter who shoots at 20 yards tunes his bow to shoot at 20 yards if he shoots it at 15 it is off, if he shoots it at 40 it is off, he needs to hit that happy medium for good solid shots at 20 yards. I tune my bows to be accurate at 30 yards and beyond, basically what I mean is i tune them so the arrow is stable by about 25 yards and it is easy to sight it in for longer ranges because by the time the arrow crosses 25 yards it has stabilized.

Bullet balastics are totally different, the bullet is rigid and doesn't flex at any time therefore you can't compare the bullet to an arrow.

I have rifles that are extreemly accurate (when sight adjustments are made) from 50m to 1000m.

Sniper X screwed with this post 03-30-2010 at 09:52 AM
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:03 AM   #7608
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog

The fun part is showing up with the range with a deadpan expression and explaining it's the latest tacticool addon.
Ill make millions off of my latest koosh-ball system.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:13 AM   #7609
Nessman
Cluttered Minimalist

Oddometer: 1,688
Norinco Model '97 Trench Replica

I want a pump shotgun, the standard Remington 870 (the Marine Magnum is pure sex) is the obvious choice but I've always had a thing for the old exposed hammer model '97.

Anybody have one? Is it the traditional Norinco hit or miss quality gun or do they usually work as advertised?
Nessman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:19 AM   #7610
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 12,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius
Ill make millions off of my latest koosh-ball system.

"Guaranteed reduction of barrel harmonics by up to 7% for greater accuracy from 600m to 1,000m."
Old 03-30-2010, 09:19 AM   #7611
GP640
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,323
Sniper, well said.
As an archer, I understand the importance of spine and sighting for a fixed range.
( Spine has become a lot less critical in today's bows with flat nock travel and true centre shot risers as oppose to my traditional bows.)

I would liken this to a rifle being more accurate with a specific bullet weight and powder charge. Cartridge load characteristics would have an effect on harmonics would it not? Kinda like hitting a spring with a 2lb hammer vs a 10lb hammer.
GP640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:21 AM   #7612
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeyman
I want a pump shotgun, the standard Remington 870 (the Marine Magnum is pure sex) is the obvious choice but I've always had a thing for the old exposed hammer model '97.

Anybody have one? Is it the traditional Norinco hit or miss quality gun or do they usually work as advertised?
A buddy had one and I had a Norinco 870 and both were great.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:41 AM   #7613
The_Commander
The Man.

Oddometer: 6,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X
A1fa, that stock makes that a illegal weapon without a tax atamp, if you want a stock for the glock, might as well also buy a supressor and share the tax stamp.
That would take 2 stamps.

1 for the SBR. 1 for the can.

We have one of those stocks for our G18. It's good for novice shooters, but totally worthless otherwise.
The_Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:49 AM   #7614
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Commander
That would take 2 stamps.

1 for the SBR. 1 for the can.

We have one of those stocks for our G18. It's good for novice shooters, but totally worthless otherwise.
Yeah, no need for them.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:53 AM   #7615
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeyman

BTW, those are bitey. They have a lot of sharp edges.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:04 AM   #7616
BigKev72
ANZAC

Oddometer: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X
When I first got this

I was a little unsure hwo well a device would work to reduce harmonization but on the Erma, it works incredibly well.
Erma has always made good stuff. I have shot 4-5 different Erma's and they have all been tack drivers.

1992 BMW K75RT (sold)
1988 R80GSPD (sold)
1990 Suzuki RGV500 (sold cos I was scared)
1990 Suzuki GSXR1100 (sold to buy the RGV)
1986 Suzuki GSX550 ESD (ridden into the ground)
1987 Suzuki GN250 (gave away)
1986 Suzuki TS250 (sold)
1976 Yamaha DT250 (sold)
BigKev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:07 AM   #7617
BigKev72
ANZAC

Oddometer: 826
Question

On a complete departure...anyone have or has shot a CZ 527 Varmint? How are they?
I had a 527 in .22 Hornet years ago and it was great...I have a small critter problem on the farm i need to address and like the look of the 527 Varmint with the kevlar stock.

1992 BMW K75RT (sold)
1988 R80GSPD (sold)
1990 Suzuki RGV500 (sold cos I was scared)
1990 Suzuki GSXR1100 (sold to buy the RGV)
1986 Suzuki GSX550 ESD (ridden into the ground)
1987 Suzuki GN250 (gave away)
1986 Suzuki TS250 (sold)
1976 Yamaha DT250 (sold)
BigKev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:32 AM   #7618
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKev72
On a complete departure...anyone have or has shot a CZ 527 Varmint? How are they?
I had a 527 in .22 Hornet years ago and it was great...I have a small critter problem on the farm i need to address and like the look of the 527 Varmint with the kevlar stock.
I don't have one, but I've read the reviews and they all sounded very positive. CZ seems to make some very accurate rifles.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:01 AM   #7619
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 10,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKev72
Looks like a great rifle, and some good reviews. 223 would seem to me to be the way to go for sure, lots of relatively inexpensive/available ammo, good versatile varmint caliber, accurate, etc. A Hornet would be fun, but ammo is going to be tougher to come by, especially if you don't reload.

I've been having some very good luck reloading heavier bullets in the 223, 75-80 grainers.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:06 AM   #7620
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase
Looks like a great rifle, and some good reviews. 223 would seem to me to be the way to go for sure, lots of relatively inexpensive/available ammo, good versatile varmint caliber, accurate, etc. A Hornet would be fun, but ammo is going to be tougher to come by, especially if you don't reload.

I've been having some very good luck reloading heavier bullets in the 223, 75-80 grainers.
Definitely .223 unless one wants to reload. Shoot, .22 hornet is probably $500.00 a box now.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: