ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 659 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 12-04-2008, 11:19 AM   #766
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer
 
tslewisz's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Bloomington, IL
Oddometer: 2,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skibum


I'm partial to this. Custom 7x57mm on a 1909 Argentine Mauser action.
That's beautiful. Perfect cartridge choice, too, IMO.
tslewisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:22 AM   #767
ZzyzyxRd
Home of the odds
 
ZzyzyxRd's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: So Nev
Oddometer: 11,334
Ordered one of these yesterday.

CZ 452 Special/Trainer.







The 452s have been winning matches straight out of the box.

At less than 300.00 for an open sight bolt, I'll give it a shot...

I'll post up pics when I get it in Monday.
ZzyzyxRd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:35 AM   #768
Lornce
Lost In Place
 
Lornce's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Way Out There.
Oddometer: 17,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZzyzyxRd
Ordered one of these yesterday.

CZ 452 Special/Trainer.







The 452s have been winning matches straight out of the box.

At less than 300.00 for an open sight bolt, I'll give it a shot...

I'll post up pics when I get it in Monday.
Undoubtedly a fine rifle.

What calibre?
Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:36 AM   #769
Hodag
native
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Oddometer: 22,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor31
If you are getting a CMP gun I'd recommend the Garand rather than the carbine. The ammo for the carbine isn't all that plentiful compared to 30-06. You really have only one loading and that's a 110 grain slug of whatever flavor (ball, hp or sp) there is. It's not really cheap stuff now. It's not known for accuracy or effectiveness in the field. It was a replacement for a pistol so you could hit something at farther than touching range.

The carbine is a hoot to shoot and does have some history if you already own the Garand. It's great for smaller folks to shoot and is handy but given a choice of a M1 Carbine or even an SKS and I'd go with the SKS. Far better round and just as handy.
I'd get one of each....
Hodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:45 AM   #770
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer
 
tslewisz's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Bloomington, IL
Oddometer: 2,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce
Undoubtedly a fine rifle.

What calibre?
I think those only come in .22 LR. Can a peep site be fitted?
tslewisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:00 PM   #771
ZzyzyxRd
Home of the odds
 
ZzyzyxRd's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: So Nev
Oddometer: 11,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by tslewisz
I think those only come in .22 LR. Can a peep site be fitted?
Actually they come in the .177 also, which alot of suppliers are over stocked in...

Ordered mine in .22, peep sights are available...



These are drop-in replacements for the rear sight blade made from laser cut steel finished with black oxide. The apertures available are 1/8", 3/32", 5/64", and 1/16" (3.2mm, 2.4mm, 2.0mm. and 1.6mm).

ZzyzyxRd screwed with this post 12-04-2008 at 12:14 PM
ZzyzyxRd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:06 PM   #772
toolfan
Broken Hearted
 
toolfan's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: NoPo (pdx)
Oddometer: 9,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZzyzyxRd
Actually they come in the .177 also, which alot of suppliers are over stocked in...

Ordered mine in .22, peep sights are available...


These are drop-in replacements for the rear sight blade made from laser cut steel finished with black oxide. The apertures available are 1/8", 3/32", 5/64", and 1/16" (3.2mm, 2.4mm, 2.0mm. and 1.6mm).
.177 is for airguns.
.17hmr and .17hm2 are rimfire rounds.

.17hmr is actually a really fun plinker - easy peasy 1" groups at 100yds. A bit spendier than .22lr though.
toolfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:09 PM   #773
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer
 
tslewisz's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Bloomington, IL
Oddometer: 2,343
.17 HMR is getting mixed reviews in my crew. Quick barrel fouling being the primary complaint. .17 M2 seems moribund.
tslewisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:12 PM   #774
ZzyzyxRd
Home of the odds
 
ZzyzyxRd's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: So Nev
Oddometer: 11,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolfan
.177 is for airguns.
.17hmr and .17hm2 are rimfire rounds.

.17hmr is actually a really fun plinker - easy peasy 1" groups at 100yds. A bit spendier than .22lr though.
I didn't want to have to mess around with the .17, I have a handful of .22s already and wanted a decent open sight bolt rifle.



Purty too...

ZzyzyxRd screwed with this post 12-04-2008 at 12:18 PM
ZzyzyxRd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:17 PM   #775
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer
 
tslewisz's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Bloomington, IL
Oddometer: 2,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZzyzyxRd
I didn't want to have to mess around with the .17, I have a handful of .22s already and wanted a decent open sight bolt rifle.
Good choice.
tslewisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:20 PM   #776
lascsteve
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Between the two Pee Dee's -- South Carolina
Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor31
If you are getting a CMP gun I'd recommend the Garand rather than the carbine. The ammo for the carbine isn't all that plentiful compared to 30-06. You really have only one loading and that's a 110 grain slug of whatever flavor (ball, hp or sp) there is. It's not really cheap stuff now. It's not known for accuracy or effectiveness in the field. It was a replacement for a pistol so you could hit something at farther than touching range.

The carbine is a hoot to shoot and does have some history if you already own the Garand. It's great for smaller folks to shoot and is handy but given a choice of a M1 Carbine or even an SKS and I'd go with the SKS. Far better round and just as handy.

My father was WWII Marine in the battle for Okinawa and carried the Garand, so I've always wanted to own a Garand. I'll likely get one some future day, but I'm really interested in the Carbine right now (already have a Remington 700 in .30-06).

While no ammo is cheap now, it appears to me that .30 Carbine is cheaper than either .223 or the 7.62X39 (by about 25%-30%). And while not avilable in every store you walk into, it doesn't seem that it is scarce either. The M1 Carbine just seems like a cheap way to get and shoot a fun little rifle, and own a little piec of history. A handy 'truck gun" and a working museum piece, together. Am I missing any drawbacks?
lascsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:22 PM   #777
Hodag
native
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Oddometer: 22,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by lascsteve
My father was WWII Marine in the battle for Okinawa and carried the Garand, so I've always wanted to own a Garand. I'll likely get one some future day, but I'm really interested in the Carbine right now (already have a Remington 700 in .30-06).

While no ammo is cheap now, it appears to me that .30 Carbine is cheaper than either .223 or the 7.62X39 (by about 25%-30%). And while not avilable in every store you walk into, it doesn't seem that it is scarce either. The M1 Carbine just seems like a cheap way to get and shoot a fun little rifle, and own a little piec of history. A handy 'truck gun" and a working museum piece, together. Am I missing any drawbacks?
zero drawbacks
Its a fun neat gun to shoot
Hodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:29 PM   #778
toolfan
Broken Hearted
 
toolfan's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: NoPo (pdx)
Oddometer: 9,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by tslewisz
.17 HMR is getting mixed reviews in my crew. Quick barrel fouling being the primary complaint. .17 M2 seems moribund.
I'm a horrible shot, and I've never cleaned my hmr (probably about 400 rds down the pipe).

I find it incredibly easy to keep 5 shots within the 1" black square at 100yds off a simple rest.

It's almost boring as a paper puncher. I need to stop using the rest or something.

It's also quite fun against fruit - it can blow a watermelon in half.

Pretty impressive little pill, I think.
toolfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:38 PM   #779
ZzyzyxRd
Home of the odds
 
ZzyzyxRd's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: So Nev
Oddometer: 11,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolfan
It's also quite fun against fruit - it can blow a watermelon in half.
Pics, or I'm calling ...

I hate me some fruit too.

Avocados, peaches anything with a nice sized pit explode nicely.

Avocados are the best so far...
ZzyzyxRd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:53 PM   #780
toolfan
Broken Hearted
 
toolfan's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: NoPo (pdx)
Oddometer: 9,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZzyzyxRd
Pics, or I'm calling ...

I hate me some fruit too.

Avocados, peaches anything with a nice sized pit explode nicely.

Avocados are the best so far...

Don't have any, it was the first day I shot my hmr, and it took me about 20 minutes to dial it in to "minute of watermelon @ 40 yards" before I finally took the top off the melon.

17hmr is MUCH more destructive than .22lr,
ridiculously so.

In fact, I think it's borderline useless for hunting because it's so destructive.

here's a stolen picture of a can of sauerkraut being hit by an hmr:

toolfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014