"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:45 PM   #8252
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius
That seems to be how things are around here.

Most of the ranges resrict .22 pistols and rifles to the pistol range.

Weird, but this IS New Mexico. so pretty much anything goes.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:46 PM   #8253
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X
Weird, but this IS New Mexico. so pretty much anything goes.
Yeah, I dunno if there's some sort or regulation or reasoning behind it or if that's jsut the trend around here.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:50 PM   #8254
Mr Weebles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
I picked up a Savage 93 in .22 WMR the other day. What a sweet-shooting little rifle!

The only thing that sucks is the plastic trigger guard. I bought the gun used and the guard was broken so I ordered a new one as well as a spare. No big deal, but who the hell puts a plastic trigger guard on a rifle?
Old 04-19-2010, 02:51 PM   #8255
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius
Yeah, I dunno if there's some sort or regulation or reasoning behind it or if that's jsut the trend around here.
I seem to remember it has been like your place here in the past but it isn't any longer. It was a pistol side rifle side deal but folks pitched a fit when they wanted to shoot longer than 50M with their long range hunting pistols so they opened up the entire range for pistols.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:34 PM   #8256
Motoplaner
PNW Heel Rounder

Oddometer: 19,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X
Ghost rings are nice but not as quick as a open pair of iron sights.
Where on earth did you hear that? The contrary is true.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:45 AM   #8257
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Weebles
I picked up a Savage 93 in .22 WMR the other day. What a sweet-shooting little rifle!

The only thing that sucks is the plastic trigger guard. I bought the gun used and the guard was broken so I ordered a new one as well as a spare. No big deal, but who the hell puts a plastic trigger guard on a rifle?
Remington, for one. Hell, some of the aluminum trigger guards I've seen are more fragile than plastic.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:29 AM   #8258
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoplaner
I personally find a ghost ring or even a standard peep/receiver sight to be "faster" to get into action than a standard open sight. Having said that, however, it is a fact that most of the rifles, high-end doubles specifically, that were designed for hunting very dangerous African game, lion, leopard, elephant, and Cape Buffalo for example, were equipped with a v-notch open rear sight, not with a ghost ring or peep even though that technology was available. I assume that occurred for a reason.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:53 AM   #8259
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase
I personally find a ghost ring or even a standard peep/receiver sight to be "faster" to get into action than a standard open sight. Having said that, however, it is a fact that most of the rifles, high-end doubles specifically, that were designed for hunting very dangerous African game, lion, leopard, elephant, and Cape Buffalo for example, were equipped with a v-notch open rear sight, not with a ghost ring or peep even though that technology was available. I assume that occurred for a reason.
Rapid target acquisition is obviously much more difficult when part of the target area is obscured from view, as it would be with a peep sight or scope. An open sight like a v-notch, doesn't restrict your view nearly as much. In silhouette competition, I've seen a number of competitors shoot the wrong target using a scope or peep sight, and/or waste time on the clock just trying to find their target with a high power scope. I can just imagine what the result would be if a lion had been charging at them in the jungle.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:54 AM   #8260
DELTATANGO
Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer: 13,530
Quote:

I think that the open rear sight is faster in that as the sight picture begins to form early before is is exactly there you can use it. On the closed rear sight the front sight is blocked by the top of the ring until you get it in the picture.

That is just me.
My friend has the peep sight on his duty weapon and loves them.

What the Greek just said.........

DELTATANGO screwed with this post 04-20-2010 at 07:19 AM
DELTATANGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:18 AM   #8261
DELTATANGO
Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer: 13,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius
Rapid target acquisition is obviously much more difficult when part of the target area is obscured from view, as it would be with a peep sight or scope. An open sight like a v-notch, doesn't restrict your view nearly as much. In silhouette competition, I've seen a number of competitors shoot the wrong target using a scope or peep sight, and/or waste time on the clock just trying to find their target with a high power scope. I can just imagine what the result would be if a lion had been charging at them in the jungle.
What range would you say would be the line between iron and scoped sights?
DELTATANGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:18 AM   #8262
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoplaner
No it isn't. The fastest sight on Earth is a v rear and a pin front. Not as accurate or good for longer ranges as a peep, but it is faster. Why do you think shotguns have a single bead up front and no rear sight?
Old 04-20-2010, 07:20 AM   #8263
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DELTATANGO
What range would you say would be the line between iron and scoped sights?
depends on what you mean, define your question a little more.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:22 AM   #8264
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius
That's undoubtedly the case. I do find that always keeping both eyes open, regardless of the sighting system, helps avoid such mistakes. If you close one eye, you've just eliminated about 80% of your vision if you're using either a scope or peep.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:31 AM   #8265
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
That's undoubtedly the case. I do find that always keeping both eyes open, regardless of the sighting system, helps avoid such mistakes. If you close one eye, you've just eliminated about 80% of your vision if you're using either a scope or peep.
As a matter of habit, I always keep both eyes open even when using a scope. With a scope it makes no difference, but with a peep or v-notch sight, I find that keeping both eyes open allows me to see the target much more clearly. I'm not sure why, perhaps its just that closing one eye robs you of the of 3-D effect which helps to distinguish the target from its background.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: