ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 588 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 04-19-2010, 02:45 PM   #8251
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount
 
EvilGenius's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: DFW, Texas
Oddometer: 20,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alejo
sell the .22

get a mosin
Hell no.

These things were passed down to me.
__________________
"Try turning that burn into torque. Then we're getting somewhere. Riding the potato to work seems quite impractical." - anotherguy

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:45 PM   #8252
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber
 
Sniper X's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
Oddometer: 33,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius
That seems to be how things are around here.

Most of the ranges resrict .22 pistols and rifles to the pistol range.

Weird, but this IS New Mexico. so pretty much anything goes.
__________________
" The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."
Straight Out Da Trailah!
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:46 PM   #8253
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount
 
EvilGenius's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: DFW, Texas
Oddometer: 20,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X
Weird, but this IS New Mexico. so pretty much anything goes.
Yeah, I dunno if there's some sort or regulation or reasoning behind it or if that's jsut the trend around here.
__________________
"Try turning that burn into torque. Then we're getting somewhere. Riding the potato to work seems quite impractical." - anotherguy

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:50 PM   #8254
Mr Weebles
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Mr Weebles's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Weare NH
Oddometer: 179
I picked up a Savage 93 in .22 WMR the other day. What a sweet-shooting little rifle!

The only thing that sucks is the plastic trigger guard. I bought the gun used and the guard was broken so I ordered a new one as well as a spare. No big deal, but who the hell puts a plastic trigger guard on a rifle?
__________________
Hi all, Me and my motorbike Dot are just on an impromptu adventure across the world from Sydney to London and thought you might like to read about it. - Nathanthepostman
Mr Weebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:51 PM   #8255
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber
 
Sniper X's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
Oddometer: 33,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius
Yeah, I dunno if there's some sort or regulation or reasoning behind it or if that's jsut the trend around here.
I seem to remember it has been like your place here in the past but it isn't any longer. It was a pistol side rifle side deal but folks pitched a fit when they wanted to shoot longer than 50M with their long range hunting pistols so they opened up the entire range for pistols.
__________________
" The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."
Straight Out Da Trailah!
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:34 PM   #8256
Motoplaner
PNW Heel Rounder
 
Motoplaner's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Oddometer: 19,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X
Ghost rings are nice but not as quick as a open pair of iron sights.
Where on earth did you hear that? The contrary is true.
__________________
Let’s not reinvent the wheel, let’s wear it out.
Motoplaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:45 AM   #8257
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer
 
Aurelius's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Altamonte Springs, Florida
Oddometer: 21,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Weebles
I picked up a Savage 93 in .22 WMR the other day. What a sweet-shooting little rifle!

The only thing that sucks is the plastic trigger guard. I bought the gun used and the guard was broken so I ordered a new one as well as a spare. No big deal, but who the hell puts a plastic trigger guard on a rifle?
Remington, for one. Hell, some of the aluminum trigger guards I've seen are more fragile than plastic.
__________________
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:29 AM   #8258
HardCase
winter is coming
 
HardCase's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: chambers on the Third
Oddometer: 9,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoplaner
Where on earth did you hear that? The contrary is true.
I personally find a ghost ring or even a standard peep/receiver sight to be "faster" to get into action than a standard open sight. Having said that, however, it is a fact that most of the rifles, high-end doubles specifically, that were designed for hunting very dangerous African game, lion, leopard, elephant, and Cape Buffalo for example, were equipped with a v-notch open rear sight, not with a ghost ring or peep even though that technology was available. I assume that occurred for a reason.
__________________
Μολών λαβέ

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:53 AM   #8259
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer
 
Aurelius's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Altamonte Springs, Florida
Oddometer: 21,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase
I personally find a ghost ring or even a standard peep/receiver sight to be "faster" to get into action than a standard open sight. Having said that, however, it is a fact that most of the rifles, high-end doubles specifically, that were designed for hunting very dangerous African game, lion, leopard, elephant, and Cape Buffalo for example, were equipped with a v-notch open rear sight, not with a ghost ring or peep even though that technology was available. I assume that occurred for a reason.
Rapid target acquisition is obviously much more difficult when part of the target area is obscured from view, as it would be with a peep sight or scope. An open sight like a v-notch, doesn't restrict your view nearly as much. In silhouette competition, I've seen a number of competitors shoot the wrong target using a scope or peep sight, and/or waste time on the clock just trying to find their target with a high power scope. I can just imagine what the result would be if a lion had been charging at them in the jungle.
__________________
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:54 AM   #8260
DELTATANGO
Motorcyclist and Dog Walk
 
DELTATANGO's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Alabama
Oddometer: 13,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase
I personally find a ghost ring or even a standard peep/receiver sight to be "faster" to get into action than a standard open sight. Having said that, however, it is a fact that most of the rifles, high-end doubles specifically, that were designed for hunting very dangerous African game, lion, leopard, elephant, and Cape Buffalo for example, were equipped with a v-notch open rear sight, not with a ghost ring or peep even though that technology was available. I assume that occurred for a reason.

I think that the open rear sight is faster in that as the sight picture begins to form early before is is exactly there you can use it. On the closed rear sight the front sight is blocked by the top of the ring until you get it in the picture.

That is just me.
My friend has the peep sight on his duty weapon and loves them.

What the Greek just said.........

DELTATANGO screwed with this post 04-20-2010 at 07:19 AM
DELTATANGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:18 AM   #8261
DELTATANGO
Motorcyclist and Dog Walk
 
DELTATANGO's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Alabama
Oddometer: 13,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius
Rapid target acquisition is obviously much more difficult when part of the target area is obscured from view, as it would be with a peep sight or scope. An open sight like a v-notch, doesn't restrict your view nearly as much. In silhouette competition, I've seen a number of competitors shoot the wrong target using a scope or peep sight, and/or waste time on the clock just trying to find their target with a high power scope. I can just imagine what the result would be if a lion had been charging at them in the jungle.
What range would you say would be the line between iron and scoped sights?
DELTATANGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:18 AM   #8262
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber
 
Sniper X's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
Oddometer: 33,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoplaner
Where on earth did you hear that? The contrary is true.
No it isn't. The fastest sight on Earth is a v rear and a pin front. Not as accurate or good for longer ranges as a peep, but it is faster. Why do you think shotguns have a single bead up front and no rear sight?
__________________
" The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."
Straight Out Da Trailah!
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:20 AM   #8263
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber
 
Sniper X's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
Oddometer: 33,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by DELTATANGO
What range would you say would be the line between iron and scoped sights?
depends on what you mean, define your question a little more.
__________________
" The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."
Straight Out Da Trailah!
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:22 AM   #8264
HardCase
winter is coming
 
HardCase's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: chambers on the Third
Oddometer: 9,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius
Rapid target acquisition is obviously much more difficult when part of the target area is obscured from view, as it would be with a peep sight or scope. An open sight like a v-notch, doesn't restrict your view nearly as much. In silhouette competition, I've seen a number of competitors shoot the wrong target using a scope or peep sight, and/or waste time on the clock just trying to find their target with a high power scope. I can just imagine what the result would be if a lion had been charging at them in the jungle.
That's undoubtedly the case. I do find that always keeping both eyes open, regardless of the sighting system, helps avoid such mistakes. If you close one eye, you've just eliminated about 80% of your vision if you're using either a scope or peep.
__________________
Μολών λαβέ

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:31 AM   #8265
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer
 
Aurelius's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Altamonte Springs, Florida
Oddometer: 21,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase
That's undoubtedly the case. I do find that always keeping both eyes open, regardless of the sighting system, helps avoid such mistakes. If you close one eye, you've just eliminated about 80% of your vision if you're using either a scope or peep.
As a matter of habit, I always keep both eyes open even when using a scope. With a scope it makes no difference, but with a peep or v-notch sight, I find that keeping both eyes open allows me to see the target much more clearly. I'm not sure why, perhaps its just that closing one eye robs you of the of 3-D effect which helps to distinguish the target from its background.
__________________
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014