User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 467 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 07-08-2010, 09:15 AM   #10051
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,289
TW we have a bear problem on our land right now. I scared one off with a single shot from the Ruger Security six about 25 minutes after getting back from out of town the other day. He was scavenging round right behind my fenced in acre on my 10 acres, and he looked at me weird when he noticed me so I took a shot at him right between his front paws. He ran off scared as hell. I was about 40M from him when I took the shot. He jumpped about a foot off the ground at the report of the 180gr Corbon I shot at him with! Damn, those things are LOUD! Like Canon loud....
Old 07-08-2010, 09:53 AM   #10052
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,085
[quote=Geoff D]Wish mine did.... maybe its because I'm using subsonic ammo thro a sound moderator...
Religously clean my mags, but they still jam.

quote]

I ordered one of these for my 10/22 Charger For that very reason. I like shooting subsonic rounds.I know guy's who also just cut some coils off of the stock spring but for $35.00 I'm going this way. http://coolguyguns.com/webstore/inde...921fdf3d74bead
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
NDEBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:53 AM   #10053
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X
I got back into revolvers back about a few months ago and will continue to buy them as funds allow. My finding is they are close to if not as accurate as any non tricked out auto, they are very reliable, and they look and feel very cool. I also love that you get them chambered in rounds that none of the standard reliable autos are chambered for. Like .357mag and .44mag. And in my opinion and many others, the .357 round is a great round for all rond use as long as you don't try to humt moose or Elk with it.
My first handgun was a S&W 27 357 with a 6 1/2" barrel that my dad gave me for Christmas in 1966 when I was in high-school. In the next several years that gun accounted for several deer, numerous gophers and other rodents, and countless beer and pop-cans, rocks, and the occasional paper target. I found the 357 to be fully adequate as a deer cartridge within 40-50 yards max.

I got away from revolvers in the '80s and '90s when I started doing the IPSC/IDPA thing, turning into a semi-auto freak. After Y2K my interest in competition waned and I became more casual about it. I bought a 500 S&W in '03, bagged a big buck with it that fall, and since that time have been shooting revolvers almost exclusively, although the recent purchase of the SA EMP 9x19 has rekindled my interest in 1911s. I have little use for Glocks or other plastic handguns, but I realize that they are effective and reliable and loved by many, so no real put-down intended.......if you can avoid blowing off your ass-cheek with that freakish safety-in-the-middle-of-the-trigger gizmo!!! Sorry, couldn't resist.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:44 AM   #10054
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase
My first handgun was a S&W 27 357 with a 6 1/2" barrel that my dad gave me for Christmas in 1966 when I was in high-school. In the next several years that gun accounted for several deer, numerous gophers and other rodents, and countless beer and pop-cans, rocks, and the occasional paper target. I found the 357 to be fully adequate as a deer cartridge within 40-50 yards max.

I got away from revolvers in the '80s and '90s when I started doing the IPSC/IDPA thing, turning into a semi-auto freak. After Y2K my interest in competition waned and I became more casual about it. I bought a 500 S&W in '03, bagged a big buck with it that fall, and since that time have been shooting revolvers almost exclusively, although the recent purchase of the SA EMP 9x19 has rekindled my interest in 1911s. I have little use for Glocks or other plastic handguns, but I realize that they are effective and reliable and loved by many, so no real put-down intended.......if you can avoid blowing off your ass-cheek with that freakish safety-in-the-middle-of-the-trigger gizmo!!! Sorry, couldn't resist.
I can only fault Glocks for two reasons, the aforementioed trigger "safety" which sucks ass, or shoots it I might say, and the fact they are the ugliest thing I can think of gun wise. But I am a 1911 and revolver guy. Anyway, my first revolver in fact my first handgun was a brand new Diamond back 4in blue when I was 10. it was a .38spl and beautiful and I kept it for a long time and wish I still had it. I love .357 mag for the power and because you can shoot the most fun center fire cartridge in it as well. .38spl.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:01 AM   #10055
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X
I can only fault Glocks for two reasons, the aforementioed trigger "safety" which sucks ass, or shoots it I might say, and the fact they are the ugliest thing I can think of gun wise.
Apparently they also have 'polygonal' rifling which doesn't take well to cast lead bullets. Its a shame really, because I could get past their ugliness, but the fact that I can't reload for it places it out of consideration.

Quote:
I love .357 mag for the power and because you can shoot the most fun center fire cartridge in it as well. .38spl.
I love the .357 cartridge, but I've fallen out of love with revolvers. I'm sick of having to scrub all the burnt powder and lead residue off of them after a day at the range.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:19 AM   #10056
Waco
Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer: 14,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius
I love the .357 cartridge, but I've fallen out of love with revolvers. I'm sick of having to scrub all the burnt powder and lead residue off of them after a day at the range.
I figured a semiautomatic would be more trouble to keep clean.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:29 AM   #10057
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waco Kid
I figured a semiautomatic would be more trouble to keep clean.
Oh no, much easier. Semi-autos don't have a cloud of burnt powder and lead residue escaping through the gap between the cylinder and barrel like revolvers do.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:49 AM   #10058
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,305
I want something old like a colt SAA.

I'd really like an old cap and ball revolver, but the incessant cleaning would probably get annoying and I dunno if the local range would like black powder smoke all over the place.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:56 AM   #10059
Kdog22
Sammich eater

Oddometer: 89
I love this Gun

My first gun is still my favorite gun. It's the Taurus 24/7 Pro .40. I've put at least 1,200 rounds through it and it's never jammed or had any issues or problems. Holds 16 rounds. Extremely comfortable and feels well balanced. Easy to clean and take apart. Last but not least, .40 S&W ammo is not expensive and is a great round.

I love this gun
Kdog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:57 AM   #10060
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius
I want something old like a colt SAA.

I'd really like an old cap and ball revolver, but the incessant cleaning would probably get annoying and I dunno if the local range would like black powder smoke all over the place.
It took about two trips to the range before I got sick of mine.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:09 PM   #10061
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,305
Quote:
It took about two trips to the range before I got sick of mine.
If you ever feel like ditching it...

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:24 PM   #10062
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius
If you ever feel like ditching it...

Believe me, I'd love to. But unfortunately the thing is rusted solid. Apparently that's what happens when you leave it in its case overnight without cleaning it.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:18 PM   #10063
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,697
Quote:
Apparently they also have 'polygonal' rifling which doesn't take well to cast lead bullets. Its a shame really, because I could get past their ugliness, but the fact that I can't reload for it places it out of consideration.
You can reload for it. Montana Gold Bullets (which are made a few blocks from my house) or other bulk jacketed bullets are not all that much more expensive than lead. I have also heard that the claims that the poly barrels won't shoot lead bullets are not necessarily true. One guy I used to shoot IPSC with shot a long-barreled Glock, I believe it was a 40, and used hard-cast lead bullets and claimed that it worked just fine & dandy. I cannot speak from personal experience, however, I had one Glock in 9x19 and didn't use it a lot before getting rid of it. That said, I do load almost all of my revolvers with lead bullets and all of my semi-autos with jacketed, it just seems like the way-to-go!

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:39 PM   #10064
koifarm
Twas ever thus!

Oddometer: 1,800
Use of +P .45 cal ammo in Taurus Millenium Pro

Yes?
No?
Anyone with comments or experience?
Old 07-08-2010, 01:44 PM   #10065
AzB
Fattest thin man

Oddometer: 3,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdog22
My first gun is still my favorite gun. It's the Taurus 24/7 Pro .40. I've put at least 1,200 rounds through it and it's never jammed or had any issues or problems. Holds 16 rounds. Extremely comfortable and feels well balanced. Easy to clean and take apart. Last but not least, .40 S&W ammo is not expensive and is a great round.

I love this gun
Looks nice. I've had a couple of .40 pistols. It's been a lot easier to find lately than .45 and it's nearly as cheap to shoot as 9mm.

I just bought my first Taurus in January. I almost gave in to all the internet rants about how bad they are, but it was so cheap I figured what the heck. Turns out that little PT709 is a keeper. Shoots great, excellent gun for deep conceal without dropping down to a .380 or .32.

Az

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: