Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 714 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 09-20-2010, 12:39 PM   #11176
DC950
Microadventurer

Oddometer: 2,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X
Which is why my AR's are 5.56 and the M1A is 7.62X51...I much prefer the M1/M14 action for 7.62 and the AR for .556 even though if one in 7.62 ever comes to me cheap I'll keep it!
actually, the AR-10 in 7.62 did come before any of the 5.56 variants.

Much easier to scope an AR and less cheek weld problems too.

Still don't want one till I have to have only one rifle. And if that ever happens, I'll have bigger problems to deal with anyway!

DC950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:50 PM   #11177
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlander2188
I suppose, if there was to be a home defense situation here, the first thing I'd go for would be my Glock. Unlike a lot of gun enthusiasts, I only plan on owning 1 rifle, basically until the day I kick the bucket.

I am really trying to give the mini-30 a chance....but the more I read about it, the more I'm skeptical.

On the other hand....the more I research about the M1A, the more I lean towards it.

The black fiberglass stock would be the one I'd pick. Functionality aside, they are truly beautiful rifles.
Only one rifle? Get the M1A. They can be as accurate as a bolt gun, and are a bit more versatile, IMHO. There is the scope mount issue, but aside from the expense of the mount, it's no big thing. I just use the iron sights. I upgraded mine to NM sights.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:50 PM   #11178
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,970
I like the AR platforms a lot too. The FNs not so much, and the HK91 and it's clones are pure pigs IMHO. I don't think a guy would be doing himself a disservice with a decent AR10, but I like the M1A better.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:56 PM   #11179
Outlander2188
Ready to plunder

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinhilo
Only one rifle? Get the M1A. They can be as accurate as a bolt gun, and are a bit more versatile, IMHO. There is the scope mount issue, but aside from the expense of the mount, it's no big thing. I just use the iron sights. I upgraded mine to NM sights.
Yep, that's what I was thinking too. This is the setup I hope to gather in about 3 years:

Pistol: Glock 21 (Have it already, although I am considering selling it. Ammo is PITA to get a hold of, let alone the price. I do like the caliber a lot - the .45 auto is a great round. But I can get 9mm rounds for almost 1/2 of the price...I may trade the G21 for a G19).

Revolver: something in a .22, like a Taurus model 94. Just basically for plinking and for the wife to join me at the range (not worried about that yet).

Rifle: I don't want more than one. I want to get something that I really like to shoot. Something well-built. Something that will give me confidence when I pull the trigger. I've considered assault rifles like the AK, AR and the FAL....but one of my main requirements is that it has to be a quality weapon. I don't want to buy garbage. Top runners right now is the M1A, but I'm keeping my options open.

Shotgun: eventually, I'd like to get one of these...nothing fancy, just a standard 5 shell pump action of some sort. Every once in a while I go trap shooting with some friends, not to mention that a shotgun can be a good weapon for HD. (not too worried about this yet...it's on the back-burner like the taurus 94).
Outlander2188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:59 PM   #11180
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,019
Quote:
Yep, that's what I was thinking too. This is the setup I hope to gather in about 3 years:

Rifle: I don't want more than one. I want to get something that I really like to shoot. Something well-built. Something that will give me confidence when I pull the trigger. I've considered assault rifles like the AK, AR and the FAL....but one of my main requirements is that it has to be a quality weapon. I don't want to buy garbage. Top runners right now is the M1A, but I'm keeping my options open.
Confidence builder? .22 LR bolt-action.

AK's aren't really known for their accuracy. Bigger tolerances make the rifle more dependable but at the cost of accuracy. Although, no semi is really a tack driver like some of the bolt-action bench guns you'll run into at the range. It costs a lot more money to get a semi to be as accurate as a bolt-action.

The advantage of the AR platform is that it's so modular. It can except multiple calibers and can be made to suit just about any need. Parts are relatively inexpensive and more importantly readily available. Since they are Direct-Impingement, they have fewer moving parts and have pretty good accuracy. They run the spectrum from pistol to competition space gun. You can also get multiple upper receivers for a single lower, allowing you to have multiple configurations without having to buy multiple rifles. You can always sell the upper as well. Upper receivers are not controlled so you can deal with them without having to go through a FFL.

If you're feeling the pinch when you buy .45, wait till you buy .308/7.62 NATO. Like 9mm, 5.56/.223 is significantly cheaper.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:06 PM   #11181
Gernick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,615
I gotta stop reading this thread. I've got an itch to buy a new toy and the M1A sounds a lot better then a .357 lever gun.
Gernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:15 PM   #11182
HardCase
winter is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy
If you're feeling the pinch when you buy .45, wait till you buy .308/7.62 NATO. Like 9mm, 5.56/.223 is significantly cheaper.
Overlander has said that he just wants one rifle, period. He's literally the guy we are all talking about when we say "If I could only have one rifle it would be a ..........(you fill in the blank)" The 9x19 is an adequate SD/HD round with proper ammo......arguably, admittedly, but I'm inclined to think so and would rather have a 9 and be able to practice more and hit stuff than to have a 45 which tends to accumulate dust.

Re the rifle caliber, yup, 223 costs less......about 1/2-2/3 of 308. But Overlander said he wanted to hunt deer and while deer can be taken with a 223, it isn't generally considered a good deer round and in some states using a 223 for big game is illegal.

My suggestion would be that he keep the 45, get a 308, and maybe in a year or two after he's accumulated a nice supply of brass, take up handloading!!!

Hard cases make bad law.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:53 PM   #11183
potatoho
Cheese and Rice!

Oddometer: 4,686
Quote:
Here she is last week at the range. A buddy of mine was with and he let me borrow a front grip he bought for his G19. I know it looks kinda silly, but it sure is fun to shoot like that sometimes,
Every time I see one of those front grips I am reminded of this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11fcg543Jow
potatoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:21 PM   #11184
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase
Overlander has said that he just wants one rifle, period. He's literally the guy we are all talking about when we say "If I could only have one rifle it would be a ..........(you fill in the blank)" The 9x19 is an adequate SD/HD round with proper ammo......arguably, admittedly, but I'm inclined to think so and would rather have a 9 and be able to practice more and hit stuff than to have a 45 which tends to accumulate dust.

Re the rifle caliber, yup, 223 costs less......about 1/2-2/3 of 308. But Overlander said he wanted to hunt deer and while deer can be taken with a 223, it isn't generally considered a good deer round and in some states using a 223 for big game is illegal.

My suggestion would be that he keep the 45, get a 308, and maybe in a year or two after he's accumulated a nice supply of brass, take up handloading!!!
Ah, I didn't see the Deer issue. 223 is too small but then 6.5 or 6.8 could work.

I just can't see owning one rifle that's supposed to do everything. That's crazy talk!
Old 09-20-2010, 08:46 PM   #11185
derangedhermit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,947
Quote:
That's pretty much me. I can see my kid inheriting my modest gun cabinet when my time comes....and seeing one rifle, very much used, yet still reliable and well-maintained.

Which is exactly why I steered away from the AR's or Mini-14's...I dunno....223 just doesn't cut it for me. If it's gonna be my rifle, it's gotta have balls. That's my opinion.[...]
Given the three things you wanted to do, you might consider buying a 12 gauge shotgun before the rifle. You can hunt deer with slugs (if I read WDNR regs right) anywhere you can hunt with a rifle. And it's arguably a better home defense tool. Lots of choices in shells for the purpose at hand. Just a thought.
Quote:
[...]but I am really not sure if I want to sell my G21. It's a wonderful weapon. It is my first firearm, and I have to say I don't regret spending my hard-earned money on it. I've fired well over 1,500 trouble free rounds through it, and I've watch my groupings go from "sloppy noob" to "hey, not bad!" [...]I'm starting to think she's a keeper...
Keep the G21, it's a great gun.
derangedhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:14 AM   #11186
The_Commander
The Man.

Oddometer: 6,007
Can someone second the nomination of me for moderator of this thread?
The_Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:12 AM   #11187
Pete™
Published.

Oddometer: 9,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Commander
Can someone second the nomination of me for moderator of this thread?
seconded.

But you and snipperX might have to shoot it out.
Pete™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:28 AM   #11188
HardCase
winter is coming

Quote:
I dunno about handloading yet (I'm still too much of a noob when it comes down to that stuff), but I am really not sure if I want to sell my G21.
If you plan to shoot more than just a few times a year you'll find handloading very whorthwhile, even if it's just for 45 and 308 and nothing else. Those are both easy rounds to handload and learning the basics is not difficult. You'll be able to load 45s for considerably less $ than you'd pay to buy factory 9x19, and 308s would be pretty inexpensive too......once you'd accumulated a decent supply of brass. Getting a basic setup is not real expensive. Depending on the nature of your digs, space can be a problem, but I used to handload in some pretty dinky places and my spot in my current home isn't much bigger than a small closet.

Hard cases make bad law.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:31 AM   #11189
Tellydoug
Troubador of joy

Oddometer: 6,847
Quote:
If you plan to shoot more than just a few times a year you'll find handloading very whorthwhile, even if it's just for 45 and 308 and nothing else. Those are both easy rounds to handload and learning the basics is not difficult. You'll be able to load 45s for considerably less $ than you'd pay to buy factory 9x19, and 308s would be pretty inexpensive too......once you'd accumulated a decent supply of brass. Getting a basic setup is not real expensive. Depending on the nature of your digs, space can be a problem, but I used to handload in some pretty dinky places and my spot in my current home isn't much bigger than a small closet.
And definitely stay away from those HK91's if you might want to reload down the road. Mine trashes the brass.

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde
Old 09-21-2010, 09:03 AM   #11190
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,242
Quote:
About 20 years ago, my reloading room WAS a small closet.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: