Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 594 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 11-13-2010, 06:47 AM   #12061
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X
The way a scope works is it has a tube in it with the crosshairs in the tube. When you adjust windage or range, it tilts the scope inner tube whichever way it needs to go to make said adjustments to where the bullet strike is going to move per said adjustments. The tube is suspended by a mechanical affiar on springs or on better scopes, springs and threaded adjustments and a shock mech of some kind. Some scopes differ. The thing that makes a good scope good, and a better scope better is the scopes mechanics ability to make those adjustments and not only stay that way but to be accurate and rezero when the adjustments go back and fourth. The good test of a scope out of the box is the Sniper X's box test.

Zero the scope at a givin range after it is set up correctly per my instructions.

Once set up fire a three shot group from the bench, turn the range adjuster four clicks UP, fire three more, turn the windage four clicks right, three more shots, range four down, three more shots, now for the final, turn the windage four clicks left. you should have basically a perfect box on the target. with six holes in the Zero, and three each on each corner.

If this doesn't happen you have a defective or cheap scope, ir you suck ass at shooting.
Thanks for this. I've done basically zero scope shooting in my life as I've either been a shotgun shooter or chasing deer through the woods with 30-30s (a rifle that dumbass Mutt shouldn't need a scope for ). I guess I'd thought that the adjustments where an external thing and not an internal one. Looking back I have no idea why I thought it was that way, but that makes more sense to me now.

Semi-local gun show today, I'm gonna go! I don't really have much money but if somebody has a beater .22 for $200 I might go to the ATM and then mooch off the girlfriend until my next payday. I doubt either of these things will work .

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 07:12 AM   #12062
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humungus
G'day everyone...hope someone can help me.

Im about to start a refurb on my Winchester 243 model 70, 22" (manufacture date 1971) Im googling like crazy and they keep saying the stock of this rifle is walnut.

Im not good with US timber & always assumed walnut was quite a fine decorative grain. Mine looks to be something else. It is the original stock as i knew the first owner & its been in my family since 1973.

The colour variance in the photos is just the light & my phone camera. Yeah yeah i know, its looking a bit rough...she has spent 30 solid years sending fox's, roos & dingoes to the big man.

What does the timber look like to you guys ?
The Model 70s made immediately post-64 and through the 70s were a little on the ugly side. Winchester bowed to fashion and went in for those black end-caps and white-line spacers. I shot a 375H&H made in '73 for years, and it has those styling cues.

I think the Model 70s of that era were made with walnut stocks, although they sure managed to find some plain-jane stuff. For a time in there, maybe the late '60 but continuing into the '70 for I don't know how long, Winchester made a cheaper version of the 70 called the 670, and those had some other kind of wood in the stock, ash IIRC.

Looking at your pics the grain structure in the butt/comb area caused me to wonder if it was stained pine, I've seen pine furniture items that look something like that, but I think it's probably walnut.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 07:43 AM   #12063
live2offroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
I try to keep less than ten or twelve on hand at one givin time. It seems I try to get all those special guns I have wanted all my life, and in doing so, usually get a lot of trade fodder in the interium.

A few more better pics of the new Python. BTW I didn't even clean it yet!

That is just pretty.. and pretty awesome..
-Peter
live2offroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:12 AM   #12064
tcs06
The Clueless Wonder

Oddometer: 249
Quote:
Got this guy as well today.

Good trade huh?

Hey Sniper X,

I have been debating a 1911 purchase but I am feeling overwhelmed and confused by the huge selection available (meaning brand, internal vs external extractor.....). I am thinking I'd like a full sized gun with night sights. Can you provide any insights or recommendations?
tcs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:48 AM   #12065
BimotaBoy
Scooter Trash!

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolloAsado
Whose freedom? :stirshit
The FN was to the free world what the AK was to the communist world.

Ducati HYM 796
Yamaha YSR (KX) 65
BimotaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:50 AM   #12066
El Mulo
Banned

Oddometer: 494
Wow! This gun thread is extremely popular!
Many a rider, many a gun nut!
In!
El Mulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 11:23 AM   #12067
Humungus
no it doesn't

Oddometer: 5,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase
I've seen pine furniture items that look something like that, but I think it's probably walnut.
Cheers mate. Pine was what i was thinking also. It was bought brand new in Australia in '71 so maybe they sent their shit timber this way...i mean its not like we had many options at that time for that spec rifle & beggars cant be choosers.

I will clean the varnish off in a week or 2 & prior to touching it with anything i will show you then. I think i will notice the hardness once i start sanding it if its walnut (it does look soft in those photos). I just thought for a moment it may have been something else like beech etc as i wouldnt know US wood if i fell over it.

The saving grace is simply how well it shoots.
Humungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 11:46 AM   #12068
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,910
Quote:
G'day everyone...hope someone can help me.

Im about to start a refurb on my Winchester 243 model 70, 22" (manufacture date 1971) Im googling like crazy and they keep saying the stock of this rifle is walnut.

Im not good with US timber & always assumed walnut was quite a fine decorative grain. Mine looks to be something else. It is the original stock as i knew the first owner & its been in my family since 1973.

The colour variance in the photos is just the light & my phone camera. Yeah yeah i know, its looking a bit rough...she has spent 30 solid years sending fox's, roos & dingoes to the big man.

Looks like Beech (Beachnut) or maybe Birch. Beech and Birch are commonly used for stocks where cost or availability is an issue.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:52 PM   #12069
Humungus
no it doesn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy
Looks like Beech (Beachnut) or maybe Birch. Beech and Birch are commonly used for stocks where cost or availability is an issue.
Thats what i was wondering. Ive found from googling that the 670's often had birch/beech yet mine is def a model 70. None the less im sure it will be an improvement with a refurb.

I was thinking to import a flashy walnut stock but im yet to look at the 'oh jesus look out for him...he's importing weapons' lists of what i can & cant bring in from the US. Whilst its essentially a bit of wood..they may well call it a prohibited firearm part.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:26 PM   #12070
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,781
Quote:
Cheers mate. Pine was what i was thinking also. It was bought brand new in Australia in '71 so maybe they sent their shit timber this way...i mean its not like we had many options at that time for that spec rifle & beggars cant be choosers.

I will clean the varnish off in a week or 2 & prior to touching it with anything i will show you then. I think i will notice the hardness once i start sanding it if its walnut (it does look soft in those photos). I just thought for a moment it may have been something else like beech etc as i wouldnt know US wood if i fell over it.

The saving grace is simply how well it shoots.
It actually doesn't look all that bad, whatever it is. I'm thinking that all Model 70s have been walnut, but it's possible that they used something else for export, although that seems lame. I don't think pine would be a good stock material, too soft. Since yours shoots well, no point in replacing it and a refurbishing ought to make it look just dandy. In fact, those white-line spacers with the (I think) ebony end-caps are kinda cool in a retro sort of way. Enjoy the project!!

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:30 PM   #12071
AzB
Fattest thin man

Oddometer: 3,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Mulo
Wow! This gun thread is extremely popular!
Many a rider, many a gun nut!
In!
'Bout time you got here. What took you so long?

Az
Old 11-13-2010, 01:43 PM   #12072
Laconic
Gaulded

Oddometer: 15,668
Quote:
I think it has character and you should leave it alone. JMO.

Laconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:48 PM   #12073
Humungus
no it doesn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase
In fact, those white-line spacers with the (I think) ebony end-caps are kinda cool in a retro sort of way. Enjoy the project!!
Yeah agreed..i do like that retro look also. Lot of research to do though as i can imagine that the black on the fore-stock will be tricky as well as the white spacers. I will probably only upgrade the scope. Ive been reading up on modern high end scopes and am getting the bug to buy one.

The rifle is certainly a testament to the US in firearm manufacture. Its accuracy is absolutely bloody amazing even after some 38 years & a lot of work. Beautiful safe mechanism also.

Humungus screwed with this post 11-13-2010 at 01:55 PM
Old 11-13-2010, 01:52 PM   #12074
Humungus
no it doesn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by 257bob
I think it has character and you should leave it alone. JMO.

I get what your saying too mate...dont mess with what works.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:17 PM   #12075
theMISSIONARY
hunting and riding!!

Oddometer: 2,074
as the model 70 is the current flavour

I had this .222 it was a Push feed model

WR250r of Awesomeness.......now with extra added Awesomeness!
theMISSIONARY is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: