Old 11-13-2010, 03:25 PM   #12076
Humungus
no it doesn't

Oddometer: 5,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMISSIONARY
as the model 70 is the current flavour

I had this .222 it was a Push feed model
Thats absolutely identical to mine tM however im googling that the push feed was the 670 model.

Im trying to find out if the 670 had it marked on the rifle. My just says model 70 & has a floor plate mag. More out of curiosity really.

Humungus screwed with this post 11-13-2010 at 03:48 PM
Humungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 03:51 PM   #12077
theMISSIONARY
hunting and riding!!

Oddometer: 2,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humungus
Thats absolutely identical to mine tM however im googling that the push feed was the 670 model.

Im trying to find out if the 670 had it marked on the rifle. My just says model 70 & has a floor plate mag. More out of curiosity really.

Quote:
Post '64 Model 70 Action (Push Feed)

In order to reduce manufacturing costs in the face of higher labour rates, rifles manufactured from 1964 to 1992 differed from early Model 70s in the following ways:
  • The bolt was changed significantly. The bolt face was enclosed so that it fully surrounded the cartridge rim, in a similar way to the Remington 700 bolt. While cheaper to manufacture than the undercut bolt face needed for controlled feed actions, it is also stronger, providing more support to the cartridge case head, and better contains escaping gases in the event of a case rupture. The new bolt also differed from the old in that (also like the Remington 700) it was manufactured in 3 pieces (the bolt head, body and handle) and brazed together. The brazing is so well done it is very difficult to see the joints. There is no compromise in strength due to the 3-piece construction.
  • The Mauser-type non-rotating claw type extractor (incompatible with a fully-enclosed bolt head) was replaced with a small wedge type extractor that does not engage the cartridge rim as it rises from the magazine to the chamber but rather pushes the cartridge into the chamber. As the bolt handle is turned down into the locked position, the new extractor clips over the cartridge rim. The new extractor is perfectly reliable, although it grips less of the case rim and is not as elegant as the Mauser-type claw extractor.
  • Hammer-forged barrels were introduced.
  • The machined steel trigger guard and floor plate were replaced with parts made from an aluminium alloy to reduce weight using the assembly from the pre-1964 Featherweight version.
  • Some models featured walnut stocks with chequering that was impressed onto the wood rather than cut into it as on the early Model 70's, further reducing manufacturing costs.
The new action was severely criticized by riflemen for its lesser amount of control and its supposed unreliability, making the original action even more prized. In reality, many of the changes could be considered improvements, making the action stronger [7]. Any post-'64 Model 70 rifle that is not designated as a "Classic" is most likely to have the post-'64 action. For normal use, the action through its design is no less reliable, although the simplified construction is less elegant. This action has been further improved over the years, and is now generally on par with the CRF action. Because the bolt does not actively grip the cartridge until the bolt handle is turned down into the locked position, the post-'64 system is supposedly more vulnerable to jamming or being inadvertently closed on an empty breech (i.e. failing to load a new round) if operated under duress, especially if the rifle is held upside down or on its side. In design terms (enclosed bolt face, plunger ejector, 3-piece brazed bolt construction) it is fairly similar to the Remington Model 700 which has a worldwide following and is considered to be very reliable. All things considered, in normal situations there is not much to choose between them, apart from personal preference.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winches...28Push_Feed.29

It was a Model 70 thing

WR250r of Awesomeness.......now with extra added Awesomeness!
theMISSIONARY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 05:11 PM   #12078
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs06
Hey Sniper X,

I have been debating a 1911 purchase but I am feeling overwhelmed and confused by the huge selection available (meaning brand, internal vs external extractor.....). I am thinking I'd like a full sized gun with night sights. Can you provide any insights or recommendations?
All depends on what you want to spend, but any "loaded" Springfiled armopry 1911 or any Kimber witht the options you want will last a life time. If you have a lot to spend, get a Wilson or Les Bear. Internal extractors are really best because after the hundred thousand or so shots it takes to break one, it is easily replaced in the filed in seconds by you.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:41 PM   #12079
Nuclear Fishin'
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X
All depends on what you want to spend, but any "loaded" Springfiled armopry 1911 or any Kimber witht the options you want will last a life time. If you have a lot to spend, get a Wilson or Les Bear. Internal extractors are really best because after the hundred thousand or so shots it takes to break one, it is easily replaced in the filed in seconds by you.
Funny, I've broken two internal extractors (Les Baer and Strayer-Voigt) at relatively low round counts (less than 10,000 rounds for each) and my S&W 945 with somewhere north of 50,000 rounds through it has never missed a beat.

All three guns were used for IDPA and USPSA.
Nuclear Fishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 05:42 PM   #12080
vspeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
Can one of you talk me out of buying an M-1 carbine? They suck right?

My wife took a potshot at a coyote with this the other day:

[IMG][/IMG]

Obviously not the right tool for the job, but she doesn't like to shoot my larger caliber weapons.

So I've been looking around for a .22 WMR for her. Seems like Marlin is the only game in town. Probably an OK gun but I've been looking for an old Remington or Winchester.

Anyway I was looking around in a shop today. They didn't have much in .22 mag but they did have several M-1 carbines on hand and now I want one, not for her, and not for killing coyotes. I just think they're cool. I'm pretty sure I need one.

I would appreciate it if one of you could talk me out of it.

Thanks in advance.
vspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 05:50 PM   #12081
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,727
So I bought a gun today...

I have my heart set on a .22 DA revolver. There was a gun show just north of here today, and I planned on going with a couple friends. I don't have much money now, but I told myself I'd cash out $250 and if some great deal popped up, that I'd take it.

I was wandering around when I saw a used 4" Taurus Tracker .22 with the 9 shot cylinder for $275. I see them for around $400 new, so I thought this might be a decent deal. I checked the lock-up on all 9 positions and the thing seemed hunky dorey. I made the rounds to make sure there was nothing else catching my fancy, then went back and asked the guy if he had room to move on it (it was a pretty large operation). They guy said he could do $250 plus tax, so I bummed $25 off my buddy and bought it. I was pretty stoked!

I took it to the range a couple hours later since I had all my stuff in the car. First 5 or 6 shots were great, then the shit hit the fan. The hammer wouldn't go to full cock unless you manually rotated the cylinder a little to help it out. It was a nice little shooter other than that one, major, glaring problem.

So I took it back to the show and told the guy what happened. He played around with it a little bit and wasn't sure what the problem was, but said he could either ship it off for repairs for me or give me my money back. I said I was already out on a limb buying it in the first place so I would like my money back. I then told him I had my heart set on a S&W 617 and should have just stayed the course, and that I would give him a call when I finally had the cash

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:02 PM   #12082
thebigman
bout a dollar 3.98

Oddometer: 3,352
I love me some baby beretta's.

08 xr650l ,99 xr650l, 10 HDXR1200X ,84atc200s 85atc200s, 80ct110 ,99xr70, 04xr650l ,

Dumb ass people do dumb ass things
thebigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:07 PM   #12083
fxstbiluigi
crash test dummy

Oddometer: 11,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero
So I bought a gun today...

I have my heart set on a .22 DA revolver. There was a gun show just north of here today, and I planned on going with a couple friends. I don't have much money now, but I told myself I'd cash out $250 and if some great deal popped up, that I'd take it.

I was wandering around when I saw a used 4" Taurus Tracker .22 with the 9 shot cylinder for $275. I see them for around $400 new, so I thought this might be a decent deal. I checked the lock-up on all 9 positions and the thing seemed hunky dorey. I made the rounds to make sure there was nothing else catching my fancy, then went back and asked the guy if he had room to move on it (it was a pretty large operation). They guy said he could do $250 plus tax, so I bummed $25 off my buddy and bought it. I was pretty stoked!

I took it to the range a couple hours later since I had all my stuff in the car. First 5 or 6 shots were great, then the shit hit the fan. The hammer wouldn't go to full cock unless you manually rotated the cylinder a little to help it out. It was a nice little shooter other than that one, major, glaring problem.

So I took it back to the show and told the guy what happened. He played around with it a little bit and wasn't sure what the problem was, but said he could either ship it off for repairs for me or give me my money back. I said I was already out on a limb buying it in the first place so I would like my money back. I then told him I had my heart set on a S&W 617 and should have just stayed the course, and that I would give him a call when I finally had the cash
IIrc Tarus has the same warrenty that S&W has. Kinda sounds like the thing just needed a good cleaning. Timeing and end shake in a .22...prolly not gonna see it unless the thing is really wore out. That mostly happens with .357 mag. and larger due too "hot" hand loads.

"Politicians are always interested in people.
Not that this is always a virtue.
Fleas are interested in dogs." -P.J.O'Rourke
fxstbiluigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:10 PM   #12084
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by vspeed

[IMG][/IMG]

Obviously not the right tool for the job, but she doesn't like to shoot my larger caliber weapons.

So I've been looking around for a .22 WMR for her. Seems like Marlin is the only game in town. Probably an OK gun but I've been looking for an old Remington or Winchester.

Anyway I was looking around in a shop today. They didn't have much in .22 mag but they did have several M-1 carbines on hand and now I want one, not for her, and not for killing coyotes. I just think they're cool. I'm pretty sure I need one.

Thanks in advance.
You need an M1 Carbine......sorry.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:21 PM   #12085
fxstbiluigi
crash test dummy

Oddometer: 11,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by vspeed

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks in advance.
M-1 carbine is worhless. way too expensive ,unless you are a ww2 buff. Get a ruger mini-14 for coyote control.

"Politicians are always interested in people.
Not that this is always a virtue.
Fleas are interested in dogs." -P.J.O'Rourke
fxstbiluigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:23 PM   #12086
vspeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealbigman
I love me some baby beretta's.

Nice Beretta. I've kind of always regretted buying my 950BS in .22 short instead of .25 ACP. I bought mine over 20 years ago and I think I chose the .22 short because I thought the ammo would be easier to find than .25 ACP.

A friend of mine has an old Colt in .25 ACP. I'm not sure of the model but it's old, it was his grandfather's gun. Very similar to my Beretta but way cooler and the .25 is a neat little cartridge.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:35 PM   #12087
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMISSIONARY
as the model 70 is the current flavour

I had this .222 it was a Push feed model

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:47 PM   #12088
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by road ranger
IIrc Tarus has the same warrenty that S&W has. Kinda sounds like the thing just needed a good cleaning. Timeing and end shake in a .22...prolly not gonna see it unless the thing is really wore out. That mostly happens with .357 mag. and larger due too "hot" hand loads.
Yeah maybe. It seemed to work fine until I shot it a few times. For me though, whether it was really dirty or not, it was piss-poor performance. I'd heard all sorts of horror stories about the Taurus revolvers, but I'd also heard a lot of praise. I ended up deciding it would be a coin-flip I could make for the right price. I rolled the dice and lost, but was lucky enough to have done it with a stand-up dealer who bailed me out.

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:59 PM   #12089
tcs06
The Clueless Wonder

Oddometer: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X
Thanks,

I was kinda leaning toward Kimber anyway. Now I just have to convince my practical side to make the purchase!
tcs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 07:28 PM   #12090
vspeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker
You need an M1 Carbine......sorry.
You're not helping.

I know that several different companies have manufactured the M-1 carbine over the years. Anyone know if one is better than the other? Is there a manufacturer I should avoid?

The guns I saw were in the $550-$600 range. They weren't pristine, but seemed very serviceable. Sound about right?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: