Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 842 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 12-10-2010, 01:46 PM   #12676
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolloAsado View Post
Where is the pic with the stag inserts? That thing looks gorgeous with em!
Old 12-10-2010, 01:48 PM   #12677
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Now you're making shit up.
Did I forget to mention it had a Bushnell Pahntom Magnum 2x scope on it?
Old 12-10-2010, 01:57 PM   #12678
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 10,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
Hardcase, You and I must be seperated at birth! Look what I posted BEFORE I read your comments!
Great minds think alike!!

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:06 PM   #12679
HardCase
winter is coming

Quote:
Not for an occoasional shooter, the six would be worlds better at all ranges, till they got tired of holding such a heavyass gun!
Back in-the-day I carried my 6.5" S&W 27 all over the place. I can't recall what the weight of that gun is, but it's an N-Frame so not a real lightweight. The barrel was one of the old-school thin "pencil" barrels and that made the gun balance quite nicely, it wasn't muzzle-heavy like many of the full-underlug guns or bull-barrels that became so popular in the 70s & forward to the present are.

I used to keep that gun in an old WW2 vintage Army pack which is what I carried 'essentials' around in when I was in college. No, I didn't pack on campus, but the gun accompanied me everywhere else. I could whip it out of that pack very quickly. On one occasion a hitchhiker that I'd picked up decided to car-jack me, pulled out a big Buck folder, opened it, began paring his nails with it, and said "motherfucker, I want you to pull over at that approach road up there and get out......I need to borrow your car!" I had the pack on the floor in front of the driver's seat. I began pulling over, reached down, grabbed the gun, and had it up, cocked, and in his face before we'd come to a stop. I said "drop the knife on the floor and get out....." He did. I still have the knife......and the gun!

Not sure why I tell that story, guess it just goes to show that even a 6.5" N-Frame can work out okay as a CCW/personal defense gun when called upon.

Hard cases make bad law.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:08 PM   #12680
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,456
Quote:
Where is the pic with the stag inserts? That thing looks gorgeous with em!
I have them somewhere ...

That being said, the whole package can be obtained for a nice 3 inch stainless sp101
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:11 PM   #12681
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,302
Quote:
Now you're making shit up.
The GP100 is known to be an exceptionally accurate revolver. One of the original test reports I read stated that it was the only revolver they'd ever tested that was capable of minute of angle accuracy. Of course, not all of them will. I suspected that the one they tested was a 'blueprinted' one Ruger gave them.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:18 PM   #12682
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
The GP100 is known to be an exceptionally accurate revolver. One of the original test reports I read stated that it was the only revolver they'd ever tested that was capable of minute of angle accuracy. Of course, not all of them will. I suspected that the one they tested was a 'blueprinted' one Ruger gave them.
I'll define accurate for you.

Girlfriend faces the gp100 on the picture for the first time. All 100 pounds of her with wrists the size of chicken legs.

10 yards ... .357 magnum commercial aluminum casing .... she starts firing.

Makes one hole. Shoots again ... "Did I hit anything?" I smile ... "do the same thing"

Blam! Blam! Blam! "I can't tell If I am hitting anything!

It is one of those color changing targets .... "It's ok ... now do the same thing right on the lower right"

Blam Blam Blam!!!!!

We walk to the target, and I shit you not, all she made was 2 holes the size of quarters.

I could tell what she was doing because ... I had my short binoculars with me!
Old 12-10-2010, 02:24 PM   #12683
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
When I bench rested my 6in heavy GP100 I was making one ragged hole at 50 yards. It was with a bushnell pahntom 2x scope, but the gun WAS performing. I shot at 100m and got similar results opened up to about 1.5inches and if I hadn't been rushing it a bit, probably would have done in the 1moa range.

Oh, it was with 158gr swc match grade .38spl.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:29 PM   #12684
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,302
Quote:
When I bench rested my 6in heavy GP100 I was making one ragged hole at 50 yards. It was with a bushnell pahntom 2x scope, but the gun WAS performing. I shot at 100m and got similar results opened up to about 1.5inches and if I hadn't been rushing it a bit, probably would have done in the 1moa range.

Oh, it was with 158gr swc match grade .38spl.
I wonder what makes the GP100 so accurate. I've tested other Rugers, including my own Super Blackhawk, and wasn't terribly impressed by the results. In fact, mine was so bad out of the box that I sent it back to Ruger for repairs. It's much better now, but certainly not in the same league as the GP100.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:38 PM   #12685
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,878
Quote:
Did I forget to mention it had a Bushnell Pahntom Magnum 2x scope on it?
Well then, that's remarkable.
Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:45 PM   #12686
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Quote:
I wonder what makes the GP100 so accurate. I've tested other Rugers, including my own Super Blackhawk, and wasn't terribly impressed by the results. In fact, mine was so bad out of the box that I sent it back to Ruger for repairs. It's much better now, but certainly not in the same league as the GP100.
In all sincerity, my redhawk was a bit of a disappointment versus my current gp100.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:45 PM   #12687
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
I'm not much of a guy for paying a couple hundred extra bucks for "prestige"
I prefer the S&W over the Ruger. The gun has nicer fit & finish. Not to mention if anything goes wrong S&W will be the to help. Their have one of the best CS in the business. How if they would make a smooth cylinder version like they used to I'd consider buying one. I was very close to buying a 6" 686 years ago.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:47 PM   #12688
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
How if they would make a smooth cylinder version like they used to I'd consider buying one. I was very close to buying a 6" 686 years ago.
What's the advantage of a smooth cylinder?

I mean, besides lower cost of production...

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:53 PM   #12689
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Quote:

Cool factor x2.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:55 PM   #12690
HardCase
winter is coming

Quote:

There is no advantage that I know of. It's simply a cosmetic feature, some may prefer it. It harkens back to some of the earliest revolvers, the Walker Colts from the 1830s which had unfluted cylinders and looked pretty cool.

It does increase the weight of the cylinder by an ounce or two, for whatever that might be worth.

Hard cases make bad law.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: