Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 801 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 12-12-2010, 03:50 PM   #12721
tcs06
The Clueless Wonder

Oddometer: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
Scheel's is basically the only game in Iowa City right now I know it's not super cheap, but when you figure in a drive to somewhere else plus the 3% everybody wants to charge you if you don't bring cash it isn't that bad. I've never been real keen on pawn shops either.
You should check out Buds Gun Shop online. Free shipping to your FFL holder and pretty good prices. Excellent selection. I've bought two handguns from them in the last six weeks. Very easy transaction (too easy )
tcs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:25 PM   #12722
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs06 View Post
You should check out Buds Gun Shop online. Free shipping to your FFL holder and pretty good prices. Excellent selection. I've bought two handguns from them in the last six weeks. Very easy transaction (too easy )
Looks like they've got a couple preferred FFLs "near" here. There just aren't any real gunshops in the IC area that aren't sketchy. You've got to drive 30 miles in any direction to get to one that's not a sporting goods store.

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:34 PM   #12723
wyowillys46
F=mA

Oddometer: 2,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
I had some free time this week and last, so I thought I'd take apart my P-38 and do a 3-D model of it in Solidworks 2010. All the parts are finished and the assembly is about 75% complete. The final stage will be applying different colors to each component to make them read a bit clearer.

How much did your Solid Works license cost?
Old 12-12-2010, 04:39 PM   #12724
tcs06
The Clueless Wonder

Oddometer: 255
Quote:
Looks like they've got a couple preferred FFLs "near" here. There just aren't any real gunshops in the IC area that aren't sketchy. You've got to drive 30 miles in any direction to get to one that's not a sporting goods store.
The FFL holder I use does not charge any transfer fees. He works part time as a gunsmith out of his house. Very interesting guy. His only motorized transportation is a Model T pickup that he drives all year long.
tcs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:00 PM   #12725
clevishook
stevedore

Oddometer: 1,551
[QUOTE=Aurelius;14685893]I had some free time this week and last, so I thought I'd take apart my P-38 and do a 3-D model of it in Solidworks 2010. All the parts are finished and the assembly is about 75% complete. The final stage will be applying different colors to each component to make them read a bit clearer.

[/QUOT

Wow. Really nice work.
clevishook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:24 PM   #12726
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyowillys46 View Post
I don't recall exactly at this point, but it was somewhere around $5000.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:45 PM   #12727
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,123
Quote:
Scheel's is basically the only game in Iowa City right now I know it's not super cheap, but when you figure in a drive to somewhere else plus the 3% everybody wants to charge you if you don't bring cash it isn't that bad. I've never been real keen on pawn shops either.
Find a FFL who works out of their home. They sometimes carry some stock and can help you find what you need. I find them 1000x better then most stores. Not to mention cheaper, too!

I think I'm getting the AR itch again! I have a LMT 14.5" already. This time I'm thinking about maybe building a SAM-R upper to add to case (Hardigg Storm M3100). This would be a 20" Stainless Steel NM barrel 1.7 twist. Instead of going with KAC front sight, I could save a great deal by going with a PRI or Wilson Combat flip-up front sight. (PRI is used on the MK12 SPR) Then go with a KAC RAS 12.0. Top it off with a Nightforce NSX 2.5-10x32 scope... I unfortunately browsed Bravo Company site and saw their SAM-R upper.

Old 12-12-2010, 07:57 PM   #12728
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,727
http://munitio.com/

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:53 PM   #12729
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319

Worth anything? Interesting?

Dunno what the manufacturing date is.

Looks old to me.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:40 PM   #12730
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post

Looks old to me.
Well, don't drink it and you'll be OK.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:43 PM   #12731
milq
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyowillys46 View Post
I'll toss out an answer on that too. Prices start around $4k and go up depending on certain features you can add on and if you want the "maintenance pkg" (gives any and all updates/upgrades for a full year). Add-ons include packages to analyze fluid or airflow through a product, sheet metal tools, etc.

Sometimes they run a special that knocks off ~ $500 but usually that's it in my experience. I wish I could afford my own copy but it's just too much for me to justify for "side jobs".
It's outstanding software but they definitely make you pay for it.
milq is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:13 AM   #12732
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,265
Thumbs down German engineering

As much as I like the P-38 for its inherent accuracy and ergonomics, I have to say that IMO, it represents the worst features of ‘German engineering’, namely, a mania for overcomplicating everything. Considering its intended role as the standard military and police sidearm at a time when Germany was gearing up for a major war, the sensible solution would have been a relatively simple design that could be manufactured quickly and cheaply by moderately skilled workmen. Instead, Carl Walther produced one of the most complicated pistols in history, not just measured in terms of sheer parts count, but by the amount of careful machining required to create it. By way of illustration, here’s a view of just the barrel, which had to be machined from a single piece of steel:

The frame is even worse, requiring so many individual milling steps that it boggles the mind. It's only when you look inside it from various angles that you can appreciate how complicated it truly is. From a manufacturing perspective, there is only one thing I like about it: the fact it's designed so that the plastic grips, not the frame itself (as in the case of other pistols) can be shaped to fit the shooter's hand. This not only simplifies its manufacture, but allows for the possiblity of modifying the plastic grips at a later time without having to redesign the frame. Many modern pistol designs use this approach, and an increasing number of new models even come with replaceable grips.

Even worse than its needless complexity is the fact that machine tolerances on this gun are absolutely critical. A war production gun like the Israeli Uzi has a great deal of 'slop factor' in how the parts fit together without impeding the gun's ability to function. Slight differences between one Uzi and another can be seen even with the naked eye. This is a design feature you want in a mass produced military firearm. It's one reason the Uzi and the Russian AK-47 were such successful designs. Why Carl Walther came up with something like the P-38, and why the German government accepted the design is a mystery to me.

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:32 AM   #12733
Just GO!
Countersteer it.

Oddometer: 2,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post

Looks old to me.

Probably not worth much more than a new bottle.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:45 AM   #12734
DC950
Microadventurer

Oddometer: 2,772
P-38

compared to a Luger or C-96, the P-38 isn't that complicated. Labor was cheap back then. Making something like the P-38 gave plenty of previously unemployed Germans a job.

DC950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:01 AM   #12735
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC950 View Post
compared to a Luger or C-96, the P-38 isn't that complicated. Labor was cheap back then. Making something like the P-38 gave plenty of previously unemployed Germans a job.
I would want one if I had access to plenty of poor quality 9mm ammo ... the p38 probably would eat anything without much trouble, included SMG 9mm rounds.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: