"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:28 AM   #13577
BMW Kurt
Bluesman

Oddometer: 10,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzB View Post

Winchester White box? There's your problem. I thought I had problems with several of my guns until I stopped using that crap. All the problems disappeared.

Az
So... whaddaya recommend shootin' instead?
Old 01-12-2011, 08:31 AM   #13578
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,649
Originally Posted by AzB

Winchester White box? There's your problem. I thought I had problems with several of my guns until I stopped using that crap. All the problems disappeared.

Az

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Kurt View Post
Winchester White box has ~solved~ problems in my series 80...
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:56 AM   #13579
Motoplaner
PNW Heel Rounder

Oddometer: 19,340
Quote:
Lube on the rails. Good talk.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:05 AM   #13580
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoplaner View Post
Lube on the rails. Good talk.
Back in the late 90s when I was still shooting a lot of IPSC I shot a 1911 totally dry. My STI Edge in 40S&W had been through multiple matches in a short period of time and was functioning flawlessly, and I didn't want to mess with it because it seemed that every time I'd take it apart and clean it there'd be a couple of miscues soon thereafter, so I just kept shooting and not cleaning under the theory of "if it works, don't fix it." Musta put 800 or so rounds through it without cleaning. Then, midway through a stage, it literally seized up. I could not retract the slide, felt like it was welded to the frame, and finally ended up having to use a nylon hammer to break it free. The gun was totally dry. No different from running a car without any oil, but the long term consequences were not nearly so dire. A couple squirts of BreakFree and I was back in business.......needless to say, however, that I didn't score very well in that match! Haven't repeated that mistake.....

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:56 AM   #13581
basque
Infidel

Oddometer: 679
Second gun opinions...

I've got 10 year old Sig 226 .40 that I absolutely love.

Looking for a second gun for fun/shooting in the desert/having at home.

Thinking about the Benelli Supernova Tactical with the ghost ring sights.

Can get on for about $450 + $25 background check.

Anyone have any experience with this gun? Pros? Cons?
basque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:13 PM   #13582
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,026
Quote:
The White Box stuff isn't the most accurate, but I've never had a problem with it. Don't form an opinion based on one bad round.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:23 PM   #13583
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by basque View Post
I've got 10 year old Sig 226 .40 that I absolutely love.

Looking for a second gun for fun/shooting in the desert/having at home.

Thinking about the Benelli Supernova Tactical with the ghost ring sights.

Can get on for about $450 + $25 background check.

Anyone have any experience with this gun? Pros? Cons?
Only Ben I ever had oen a M1 Super 90, marked as H&K but it was only great with stout 00,000 or slugs. Everything else would not cycle the action without a different spring. I personally went back to a tricj 870. It of course cycles anything.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:26 PM   #13584
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
Back in the late 90s when I was still shooting a lot of IPSC I shot a 1911 totally dry. My STI Edge in 40S&W had been through multiple matches in a short period of time and was functioning flawlessly, and I didn't want to mess with it because it seemed that every time I'd take it apart and clean it there'd be a couple of miscues soon thereafter, so I just kept shooting and not cleaning under the theory of "if it works, don't fix it." Musta put 800 or so rounds through it without cleaning. Then, midway through a stage, it literally seized up. I could not retract the slide, felt like it was welded to the frame, and finally ended up having to use a nylon hammer to break it free. The gun was totally dry. No different from running a car without any oil, but the long term consequences were not nearly so dire. A couple squirts of BreakFree and I was back in business.......needless to say, however, that I didn't score very well in that match! Haven't repeated that mistake.....
That (basically) happened to me with my Kevin's great Springer Champion test from hell. Shot it for hundreds and hundreds of rounds probably 1000 and it finally stopped working. The slide would not go all the way forward. Stopped at Autozone and bought a can of brake parts cleaner, shot the crap in every nook and cranny and shot the whole gun with Remoil......shot another 500 thru it and sold it.....great gun I wish I still had!
Old 01-12-2011, 12:38 PM   #13585
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
That (basically) happened to me with my Kevin's great Springer Champion test from hell. Shot it for hundreds and hundreds of rounds probably 1000 and it finally stopped working. The slide would not go all the way forward. Stopped at Autozone and bought a can of brake parts cleaner, shot the crap in every nook and cranny and shot the whole gun with Remoil......shot another 500 thru it and sold it.....great gun I wish I still had!
Speaking of dirty guns, I completely disassembled my Ruger 10/22 recently and was shocked to see the amount of grime inside it. This rifle hadn't seen all that much use - I'd be surprised if I fired more than 300 rounds through it - but it was FILTHY. Particulary bad was the area just above the bolt where it meets the barrel. I had to remove the barrel to reach some of the tight crevices in the receiver. The magazine also got a thorough disassembly and cleaning since it was full of crud as well. Someone warned me that these guns needed frequent cleaning, but I wasn't quite prepared for this.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:49 PM   #13586
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Speaking of dirty guns, I completely disassembled my Ruger 10/22 recently and was shocked to see the amount of grime inside it. This rifle hadn't seen all that much use - I'd be surprised if I fired more than 300 rounds through it - but it was FILTHY. Particulary bad was the area just above the bolt where it meets the barrel. I had to remove the barrel to reach some of the tight crevices in the receiver. The magazine also got a thorough disassembly and cleaning since it was full of crud as well. Someone warned me that these guns needed frequent cleaning, but I wasn't quite prepared for this.
.22 wammo is notoriously dirty......my 10-22 was like that after a day and I decided to clean it after every few hundred rounds after that. Saw a MKII Ruger so dirty it stopped working once after only about 500 rounds. Plus that is still my least favorite gun in the world to take apart and put back together.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:54 PM   #13587
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
.22 wammo is notoriously dirty......my 10-22 was like that after a day and I decided to clean it after every few hundred rounds after that. Saw a MKII Ruger so dirty it stopped working once after only about 500 rounds. Plus that is still my least favorite gun in the world to take apart and put back together.
Been there, done that. Actually it was a MKIII, which is even worse. I've got my Marlin 1894 in pieces right now, and it's resisting mightily my efforts to put it back together again. Guess I need to get a bigger hammer.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:04 PM   #13588
Motoplaner
PNW Heel Rounder

Oddometer: 19,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Been there, done that. Actually it was a MKIII, which is even worse. I've got my Marlin 1894 in pieces right now, and it's resisting mightily my efforts to put it back together again. Guess I need to get a bigger hammer.
I hate that. Some of the old Marlins etc were/are certainly trying were one not careful.
I got everything back together except one of those four barrel COP .357's (it froze up), long ago. I said fuck it and sent it off then sold the bitch.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:18 PM   #13589
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoplaner View Post
I hate that. Some of the old Marlins etc were/are certainly trying were one not careful.
I got everything back together except one of those four barrel COP .357's (it froze up), long ago. I said fuck it and sent it off then sold the bitch.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:28 PM   #13590
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,725
I guess I've just decided to live with my 10/22 being dirty. I've shot probably a couple thousand rounds with it having done nothing but spray some Rem-Oil in around the breech a couple times. No problems that I can't attribute to a crappy Butler Creek magazine or shitty ammo. The 22/45 gets the same treatment and runs just as well (with good ammo).

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: