Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 492 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 01-19-2011, 06:53 AM   #13711
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 5,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
Nope, it's more then that. The barrel comes off in one piece with the mag tube as well as the forend. They great for traveling.

Well I'll be damned. My dad has an early model 12 (mfg 1924) since before I was born and I never knew that. Sweet!

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:22 AM   #13712
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
Can somebody humor me on how much a reloading set-up for 44 would run me?
Why .44
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:27 AM   #13713
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolloAsado View Post
Why .44
Just daydreaming

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:05 AM   #13714
Tellydoug
Troubador of joy

Oddometer: 6,712
Quote:
Just daydreaming

Depends... You can start with a simple Lee Loader setup for very little money. You can get cheap cast bullets in bulk, some Unique or 2400 powder, some primers, a block of wood, and have at it. Later you can get dies and a press, powder measure, and so on. It ain't rocket surgery.

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde
Old 01-19-2011, 08:10 AM   #13715
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,718
Quote:
A reloading setup for a 44 would be about the same as one for any other "standard" caliber. It would depend on whether you already handload (I'm guessing not, or you would not have asked the question) and have the basic gear or not. A single-stage press like an RCBS Rockchucker, a powder scale, a powder measure, and a separate priming tool, plus dies and a shellholder, of course, in addition to some sundries like a funnel, primer tray, etc., would make up the basics. I don't recommend going with the Lee Loader although those are an inexpensive beginning setup.....you'd quickly become weary with handloading rounds at the rate of 6 or 7 per hour.

You can get starter kits, I'm thinking in the $300 range, although I haven't priced any lately. I have an RCBS Rockchucker that is still going strong and has loaded tens of thousands of rounds which I bought back in 1976.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:15 AM   #13716
Tellydoug
Troubador of joy

Oddometer: 6,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
A reloading setup for a 44 would be about the same as one for any other "standard" caliber. It would depend on whether you already handload (I'm guessing not, or you would not have asked the question) and have the basic gear or not. A single-stage press like an RCBS Rockchucker, a powder scale, a powder measure, and a separate priming tool, plus dies and a shellholder, of course, in addition to some sundries like a funnel, primer tray, etc., would make up the basics. I don't recommend going with the Lee Loader although those are an inexpensive beginning setup.....you'd quickly become weary with handloading rounds at the rate of 6 or 7 per hour.

You can get starter kits, I'm thinking in the $300 range, although I haven't priced any lately. I have an RCBS Rockchucker that is still going strong and has loaded tens of thousands of rounds which I bought back in 1976.

Hey, you can easily load a round a minute with the Lee Loader setup....

I use a Dillon progressive myself, but just to see if he likes the concept... it's hard to beat $25.99 for testing the waters and understanding the concepts.

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde
Old 01-19-2011, 08:25 AM   #13717
El Guero
V4 Whore

I reloaded thousands of shotgun shells with a Lee-load-all back in high school. Wasn't particularly fond of it, but that was back when it wasn't really my money. Looking around, it looks like loading handgun rounds is a little more complicated than shotgun... At that point I'm not sure it's worth my time.

EDIT: I don't think I'd have a good place to do it in the place I live right now anyways. Until I get my own place, maybe I'd just have to get a .44 and accumulate brass

Old 01-19-2011, 08:36 AM   #13718
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,659
Quote:
And for the low, low price of $370 you can outfit yourself with a Dillon Square Deal 'B' already setup for one caliber of your choice (most common cartridges are available).

If you're just testing the waters a single stage would definitely be the way to go, but if you're pretty darn sure you'll be shooting a fair amount it doesn't take that much before you break even. I've got the Dillon and have had it for 10+ years and it's real nice to be able to crank out a few hundred rounds in short order.
McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:39 AM   #13719
Motoplaner
PNW Heel Rounder

Oddometer: 19,340
Quote:
.I don't think I'd have a good place to do it in the place I live right now anyways. Until I get my own place, maybe I'd just have to get a .44 and accumulate brass
I use the Saga Continues 4000. Good talk.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:44 AM   #13720
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,860
Quote:
I was just about to say that my Lee hand press doesn't work well either with .44 Magnum rounds, due to the hardness of the cases, which takes a lot more effort to reshape than most common pistol calibers. Whenever I reload for my .44 caliber guns, I use a bench mounted press for that reason.

Quote:
I've never known a press to wear out even after decades of use. I wouldn't turn my nose up at any number of used presses available on e-bay. Unless they're badly rusted or damaged in some way, they're probably every bit as good as the day they were made.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:45 AM   #13721
El Guero
V4 Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoplaner View Post
I use the Saga Continues 4000. Good talk.
lulz. Yeah I don't think I'll ever buy another gun, I'll just pretend like I might.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:52 AM   #13722
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,588
Quote:
Check here:

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/cata.../rlpress2.html

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/cata...es-pistol.html

Looks like about 200 bucks for the tools. You could use the lee hand press if you have no place to mount something. Lee stuff is quite usable if not overbuilt and they stand behind their stuff on my experience. Stay away from the lee progressive stuff , though.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:54 AM   #13723
Motoplaner
PNW Heel Rounder

Quote:
lulz. Yeah I don't think I'll ever buy another gun, I'll just pretend like I might.
Two .22's have the same diameter as a .44 so you're all set! Yer welcome.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:57 AM   #13724
El Guero
V4 Whore

Maybe if I duct tape them together...

Old 01-19-2011, 08:59 AM   #13725
Motoplaner
PNW Heel Rounder

Quote:
Maybe if I duct tape them together...

I've used a Lee pounder way back.. anyway, they do work.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: