Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 657 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 01-31-2009, 11:19 AM   #1396
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrfytr
From what I've read about the round, the correct term is 'IS', which stood for Infanterie(sp?) Spitzer. The German stylized script appeared to be a 'J' and it stuck. I am wondering if a round marked 8mm Mauser is the same as one marked 8 x 57 js. I spoke to someone at Mitchell's Mausers and they told me that they were the same. If I could get a second opinion I'd feel a lot better. I've read pages on line about this one is.318, that's .323 and my head is spinning.

I know that the M48's have been cheaper in the past, and like anything else that fires a projectile the price has steadily increased. Oh well, that's what I get for being late to the game.
Mitchells is definately a rip. If you really want one, try and buy one private sale. Mitchells is usually quite deceptive about what they are selling.

In the US sometimes it's marked 8mm Mauser. The wiki should make you feel better.

Quote:
The 1905 pattern cartridge was the German service cartridge in both World Wars and is now known in Europe as the 7.92x57mm IS (German military designation) or the 8x57mm IS (C.I.P. civil designation) and in the USA as the 8x57mm JS or 8 mm Mauser (the widespread use in German military Mauser rifles caused the "Mauser" tag, though Mauser had nothing to do with the development of this cartridge).
The M1903 Springfield was so close to being a clone of the Mauser that we had to pay royalties. When Germany fielded the 7.92 round in 1905, we felt the need to respond, and developed the 30-06 in 1906.

The M1 Garand was originally developed for a .276 cartridge, but then ACOS Douglas MacArthur decreed it would fire the 30-06, since we had large stores of it.
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 11:37 AM   #1397
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

Oddometer: 2,618
Thanks Garandman, that's what I've been looking for. The rifle I'm looking at is at Sarco here in NJ. I called Mauser for info and ammo only. Their ammo prices are high even.

http://www.sarcoinc.com/1-10-09B%206.pdf
fyrfytr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 02:33 PM   #1398
UPSam
All jacked up on Dew

Oddometer: 16,370
Quote:
Thanks Garandman, that's what I've been looking for. The rifle I'm looking at is at Sarco here in NJ. I called Mauser for info and ammo only. Their ammo prices are high even.

There are a few 8mm surplus military cartridges that you might run into but the common ones are rimmed. Except the older 8x57 J. That is ok to fire in the 8x57JS gun but the bullet diameter is smaller so it shoots like crap.

You will see commercial ammo market as 7.92x57 7.9x57 8x57 8x57js 8mm mauser.

The price you are paying depends on condition and if the parts numbers match.
"There was a lot of talk last year about how Barack Obama would be a “transformational” president — but true transformation, it turns out, requires a lot more than electing one telegenic leader." -Paul Krugman 8/30/09
UPSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 02:45 PM   #1399
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

On surplus forums SARCO has a very, very checkered reputation, so caveat emptor.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:57 PM   #1400
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

Oddometer: 2,618
I've only dealt with Sarco twice. Once looking for ammoe, and when I bought my Stiga. (Swedish Mauser) During the long drawn out process,(thanks NJ) the salesman taking care of the transaction seemed as if I was bothering him by being there. I just figured it was near the end of the day and he had dealt with lots of BS from Trenton. But now, I guess it would have to be smoking deal to go back there. FWIW, it's a really cool store though.
fyrfytr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 03:01 PM   #1401
UPSam
All jacked up on Dew

Anybody want to share info on gunsafes?

I don't really have much to spend. Could you carefully bolt one of the inexpensive safes down or secure it in some other way to make up for the light weight? I have a slab floor

lowe's has a Centurian by Liberty 22 gun safe for $697

Home depot has had Sentry safes for under $500 at times.
"There was a lot of talk last year about how Barack Obama would be a “transformational” president — but true transformation, it turns out, requires a lot more than electing one telegenic leader." -Paul Krugman 8/30/09
Old 01-31-2009, 03:03 PM   #1402
UPSam
All jacked up on Dew

Quote:
I've only dealt with Sarco twice. Once looking for ammoe, and when I bought my Stiga. (Swedish Mauser) During the long drawn out process,(thanks NJ) the salesman taking care of the transaction seemed as if I was bothering him by being there. I just figured it was near the end of the day and he had dealt with lots of BS from Trenton. But now, I guess it would have to be smoking deal to go back there. FWIW, it's a really cool store though.
Most problems with them are mailorder. I have bought from them at gun shows where you can see the stuff without problems. They have stuff nobody else does. The people that work for them are a little personality impaired.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:11 PM   #1403
donnyh
Waiting for the Sun

Oddometer: 6,075
Quote:
I've only dealt with Sarco twice.
Once is all it took for me, if Sarco was the only source for guns I would take up archery.
donnyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 04:17 PM   #1404
wyowillys46
F=mA

Oddometer: 2,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by UPSam

I don't really have much to spend. Could you carefully bolt one of the inexpensive safes down or secure it in some other way to make up for the light weight? I have a slab floor

Old 01-31-2009, 06:15 PM   #1405
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPSam

Any safe is better than none. I keep my ammo in a sheet metal gun cabinet that was $80. It's bolted to the wall.

Personally I've never met anyone who owns a safe that had it broken into. A locksmith told me that most safe jobs are inside jobs at businesses. I worry more about fire resistance, since high temperatures can ruin guns.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:14 PM   #1406
Farnsrocket
Manos arribas!!!

Oddometer: 3,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyowillys46

That's pretty scary!!!

I can't leave good enough alone.
Farnsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 07:43 PM   #1407
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 9,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnsrocket
That's pretty scary!!!
Not as scary as the cost and other requirements for installing a truly sturdy safe. Just check your floor's load ratings, kids...

Oh, and as you might have noticed, if you bought a lightweight cabinet, it also pays to make sure it's bolted down and that burglars don't have enough room for the leverage they'll need.

I'm not a locksmith but I saved a ton of money by switching to Geico...
Old 01-31-2009, 08:05 PM   #1408
stunt clown
Spaztic

Oddometer: 368
My new toy.

Seriously digging it.

A pessimist is never disappointed.
stunt clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 11:51 PM   #1409
russelldyck
n0Ob

Oddometer: 168
Brought this one home a few weeks ago:
1911 on a budget, a Norinco 1911A1 Government .45acp

For the weekly skeet shoot and grouse hunting in the fall
CZ O/U 12ga

And then for the hunt and practice at the range.
My Mosin Nagant 91/30 7.62x54r

got more sitting in the safe, but it is these three that I use the most.

Russ
Every day is Adventure. Adventure is in seeing the sun rise on ground you havent seen. Adventure is breathing air outside of your Zipcode. Adventure is seeing your home from a new direction. Adventure is opening your mind to another's adventure. Adventure is on new roads trod anew and old roads trod again. Adventure is all.

Chopperman 42:69

"I got bike for my wife, it was a good trade"
russelldyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 01:24 AM   #1410
RedShift42
Some guy

Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman
On surplus forums SARCO has a very, very checkered reputation, so caveat emptor.
I actually worked for that outfit briefly, years ago when I was in college.

Oh, the stories...
-JD

RedShift42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: