Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 866 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 04:34 PM   #14266
DC950
Microadventurer

Oddometer: 2,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman View Post
. my friendly neighborhood gun shop let me play with a pre ban romanian ak-47 with a 30 round mag.,they wanted $550 and i think thats a little high ,cabala's had one on sale last week end for $350 so i need to look around
first, there isn't such thing as a preban Romanian AK so I'm not sure how friendly they actually are. Well I suppose if you live behind the curtain in Kalifornia or Connecticut or somewhere like that there may be.

Please do some fairly extensive research before you buy an AK. Even more so than most guns, you'll find you can spend a little more and get a really nice gun or end up with something just OK. Some note taking and some hours on the net and you'll be good to go. Off the bat, if it's Romanian and doesn't have mag well dimples (flat on the side of the receiver) it's a WASR. Buy something else unless you are interested in playing the Century Crap Shoot.

Right now in 7.62x39, for the money the Russian SGL series which are imported and reworked by Arsenal are very hard to beat. You can get a very decent starter AK in 5.45x39 for around $350. Century contracted production out to many builders. Almost all are good guns. They have a US made non chrome lined barrel so you'll have to be certain you clean it after you shoot it with corrosive surplus ammo (all surplus 5.45x39 is corrosive).

DC950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:10 PM   #14267
duckman
"sic gorgiamus allos

Oddometer: 890
The WASR series rifle is an export-oriented, semi-automatic version of the PM md 63 itself the Romanian variant of the AK series of rifles originally from Russia. They use a Romanian made reciever , but lack the dimple above the magazine well the SAR series has.i was told they were pre ban but i think they were talking about the 30 round mag.the main complaint about the wasr is the loose mag, it seems the importer dremeled the reciever to take the double row mag,the ban required a single row mag.
and no do rags
'we gladly feast on those who would subdue us'

duckman screwed with this post 02-02-2011 at 06:16 PM
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:33 PM   #14268
DC950
Microadventurer

Oddometer: 2,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman View Post
The WASR series rifle is an export-oriented, semi-automatic version of the PM md 63 itself the Romanian variant of the AK series of rifles originally from Russia. They use a Romanian made reciever , but lack the dimple above the magazine well the SAR series has.i was told they were pre ban but i think they were talking about the 30 round mag.the main complaint about the wasr is the loose mag, it seems the importer dremeled the reciever to take the double row mag,the ban required a single row mag.
they're totally export. Romanian AKs of any flavor weren't imported till 1997 so they were after the '89 and '94 bans. Like I said, there may be a state ban of some sort. Century, or whoever depending on who imported it if it's from the 90's, did enlarge the mag well opening to accept a standard mag. They also threw away perfectly adequate Romanian parts to add the requisite number of US made parts so it could also have a pistol grip and other "evil" features. These are typically the stock, gas piston, fire control group, and whatever else they feel like.

There is a great deal of disagreement as to which Romanian rifles are the best. I wouldn't own a WASR for many reasons, the main one being the receiver. They are not mil spec receivers, just something made for export. If you do buy a Romanian, make sure the front sights and gas block are straight; they usually are canted. In any event, a Romanian rifle can be made into something quite nice if you have the skills or send it to one of a few gunsmiths. However, they simply are not the highest quality AKs made. Better than an Egyptian IMHO but nowhere near as nice as a Bulgarian.

DC950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:25 PM   #14269
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,723
Ruger "old" Vaqueros...

I did a little due diligence, and believe the answer to be "no". But, I thought I would put it to the gun gurus on ADV.

So...

Are the first generation Ruger Vaqueros worth any more or less than the "new" Vaqueros?

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:35 AM   #14270
cbmwgs
Retired Adventurer

Oddometer: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNeal View Post
The one thing that I find missing from all of the new pistols is the ergonomics of the 1911. The way the 1911 fits in my hand is unmatched by any other pistol. It's as simple as that for me.
Check out the Ruger Mark 3 22/45 a 22LR that feels like the 1911 without the kick. cheaper to shoot also.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:54 AM   #14271
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post
I did a little due diligence, and believe the answer to be "no". But, I thought I would put it to the gun gurus on ADV.

So...

Are the first generation Ruger Vaqueros worth any more or less than the "new" Vaqueros?

Probably om the used market. But they supposedly really inproved the Vaq in it's latest gen so not sure....maybe someone who knows will chime in.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:59 AM   #14272
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,443
If you want the best Kalashnikov get either a Valmet or a Galil, but be prepared to take out a second mortgage.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:01 AM   #14273
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
Probably om the used market. But they supposedly really inproved the Vaq in it's latest gen so not sure....maybe someone who knows will chime in.
Thanks Sniper.

I really hadn't paid much attention, in some time. However, the biggest difference, that I remember seeing, was the size. It appears that the "new" models are closer to the size of the original Peacemakers. The old models (I have two.) are HUGE.

Anyhow, I thought that maybe some enterprising individual(s) had put some spin on the old models being stronger or something...making it time for me to get rid of mine. I am wanting a "darkened" Colt Rail Gun...to commemorate 100 years.

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
Old 02-03-2011, 10:12 AM   #14274
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Thanks Sniper.

I really hadn't paid much attention, in some time. However, the biggest difference, that I remember seeing, was the size. It appears that the "new" models are closer to the size of the original Peacemakers. The old models (I have two.) are HUGE.

Anyhow, I thought that maybe some enterprising individual(s) had put some spin on the old models being stronger or something...making it time for me to get rid of mine. I am wanting a "darkened" Colt Rail Gun...to commemorate 100 years.

I have heard that people in CASS prefer the first gen by a large margin, but this was when the 2nd gen was out which sucked from what I hear. Try THR and ask over there unless you don't have a membership, otherwise I can ask over there for you. There are a bunch of CASS shooters on THR!
Old 02-03-2011, 10:15 AM   #14275
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

i went ahead and asked over there! I'll let you know what they say.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:21 AM   #14276
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Thanks again, sir. I really appreciate it.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:38 AM   #14277
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmwgs View Post
Check out the Ruger Mark 3 22/45 a 22LR that feels like the 1911 without the kick. cheaper to shoot also.
I've got one. The Ruger was actually the first pistol I purchased. I then purchased a Glock 19 and it's just never felt right. I then purchased a Springfield 1911 and that's all she wrote.
McNeal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:00 AM   #14278
Motoplaner
PNW Heel Rounder

Oddometer: 20,849
Talking about "feel" and whatall, I've always liked the M1935A and of course, the SIG P210.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:00 AM   #14279
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNeal View Post
I've got one. The Ruger was actually the first pistol I purchased. I then purchased a Glock 19 and it's just never felt right. I then purchased a Springfield 1911 and that's all she wrote.
Do you know why the Government had the 1911 as a service sidearm for sooooo long? it was because it was the easiest platform to train on and the majority of Solders could shoot it better then any other platform for the most part. Plus, it was a tank and super reliable. I was still in when they weere doing trials to try to change to the M9 and EVERYONE who shot it hated it compaerd tot he 1911 who was on the test program. No one could figure out why we switched when we did to the M9.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:03 AM   #14280
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:

So...

First response from THR:
The original Vaqueros were built on the large frame and are as strong as the large frame Blackhawks and Super Blackhawks.

The post-2005 New Vaquero is built on a smaller, Colt SAA-sized frame and is not strong enough for Ruger only loads. Although the .45's can be safely loaded up to 20-21,000psi. The New Vaquero is not as strong but they are a more precisely built sixgun. Having their chambers cut one at a time with the same reamer. Rather than all six at once. They are also built on new CNC machinery and are typically better guns. They also feature the "reverse indexing pawl", which is no more than a freespin pawl coupled with a spring loaded plunger that engages the ratchet teeth so that the chambers line up with the loading port at the audible "click".

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: